$20 Homemade Tusken Raider Mask

jscout

I just finished my Tusken Raider Mask. Total cost ended up being under $20, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

IMG_5986.jpg

The shell was from a pepakura file I got from Blaxmyth.

IMG_5863.jpg

Then I covered that with paper mache made from brown paper lunch sacks and white glue.

IMG_5874.jpg

The "metal" parts were 3D printed at my local library's maker space for $11. I sanded them, filled the layer lines with spot putty, and painted them with silver acylic.

Then I bought $4 worth of fabric from Hobby Lobby and a $4 belt from a thrift store. That was the total cost of the project. The rest of the supplies I already had.

IMG_5880.jpg

Here is what it looked like prior to adding the bandages. All of the "metal" bits are just screwed on from the inside so they can easily be replaced later if I want to.

IMG_5882.jpg

For the bandages, I ripped the duck fabric into strips of varying widths and lengths and "dyed" them in a tub of water mixed with various acrylic paints (browns, black, yellow). I varied the paint mixture on some strips for a variation in the colors.

IMG_5983.jpg

Then I just hot glued the strips on in a random pattern. Here are a couple more shots of the finished mask.

IMG_5988.jpg
IMG_5989.jpg

I may go back and paint the metal parts with a better silver at some point. I may also add some more bandages in irregular patterns and add more general weathering. But overall I am pretty happy with how it turned out, and how inexpensive it was to put together.

That’s freak’in awesome. Before we had our pick of high-end replicas made by big companies to choose from builds like this were the heart and soul of the RPF. Amazing results using ingenuity and elbow-grease.

Be proud, that looks first-class.

That’s freak’in awesome. Before we had our pick of high-end replicas made by big companies to choose from builds like this were the heart and soul of the RPF. Amazing results using ingenuity and elbow-grease.

Be proud, that looks first-class.
And even though there are more options now, we don't all have hundreds of dollars to spend on them.

Thanks for the compliment.

Hey, I’ve been looking into making a tusken raider costume for quite some time and I have used pepakura for quite a while now. I’m just wondering if you possibly still have the files for this.

Last edited:
Hey, I’ve been looking into making a tusken raider costume for quite some time and I have used pepakura for quite a while now. I’m just wondering if you possibly still have the files for this.
Yes, I am sure the DropBox links are on the RPF in one of the threads.

Sorry, no. I cast the metal parts in aluminium, but if I was doing it again I would use 3D printed parts. The weight of the metal parts makes the helmet out of balance.
Thanks, I found files on thinks verse, I may give this a try once I get trough some of my builds that have been backing up,

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back