2-1B Surgical Droid

I should be able to do a few after Celebration Anaheim is over. I am plugging away at molding and casting the other parts which has been a hassle for me.

I'll post more once I get some time and more pictures of my progress.

please note the new head castings are different from the one you have, it is longer front to back so your necks may not fit. i just don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone make the.mic piece? As buying the microphone is too expensive.

there was some offered a few months back, i can't remember which member it was, i think it was thawn_es

If any of you guys are still building up your 2-1B skulls, I had some great luck when it came to adding the silver band over the dome of the skull. I purchased a roll of 1/2 inch aluminum embossing tape from Amazon and it worked perfectly. I secured it by using some thin 3/4" (cut to fit) VHB tape I had laying around from my R2-D2 build.

You may be able to use a glue like E6000 but this stuff is quite thin and I was afraid any unevenness in the glue application might create some surface marks through the aluminum tape (It is designed for making embossed labels). I believe they do make a version of the aluminum tape that has an adhesive backing so you might be able to give that a try.

This stuff, at 1/2 inches wide, sat right down into the skulls groove with out any need to trim the tape's width. Like it was meant to fit in there.

Here are the links to the items on Amazon.

Aluminum Tape: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAVV7A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VHB Tape: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V40EXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (A bit expensive if this is all you need it for.)

Here is a quick pic.
11009125_10206052408889780_2173403462376002329_o.jpg

Last edited:
Great Solution.

That's funny too, as I redid my alice band too recently. I HAD aluminum tape, but I got a piece of AL flashing and cut it about 1/2" wide and then used VHB tape also to adhere it down. It looks great! I need to take some more pics.

Last edited:
I also have some 5mm Nickle Silver disks coming that I was able to find for saleon Etsy that I might be able use to replace the pair of cast in greeblies on each side of the Skull. I don't have a manner to make my own so I though this was worth a try. I will let you all know if they work out.

il_570xN.336784060.jpg

link: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1015778710 (not my sale, I hope this is kosher to post.)

had a look on amazon uk for the alu tape, ridiculous price over here, but whats new?

Yeah, I looked at that the other day too. Same kind of prices on eBay. :(

Hey Guys, I don't know what it is costing you fellas in Scotland, but I have about 7 or 8 extra feet of the Aluminum Tape left over from my roll. It is just going to get tossed in the junk drawer as I can't see any other uses for it.

If you guys would like, I could send it to ya. I don't know if it would save you any thing but a 1st Class package to Scotland is about $12US and a Priority Package is about $25.

If it would save you money and you are interested, I have no problem shipping it to you for the cost of shipping. I don't want anything for the tape itself.

Just an idea to help you guys out with your builds.

2015-04-05 07.18.38.jpg

On Amazon.com the tape is $4.69 (won't ship to the UK).
On Amazon.co.uk the tape is £65 ($97)!!!!

Yeah, I'll definitely take some. :) PM on it's way....

On Amazon.com the tape is $4.69 (won't ship to the UK).
On Amazon.co.uk the tape is £65 ($97)!!!!

Yeah, I'll definitely take some. :) PM on it's way....

PM replied to.

I finally had a chance to get my disk greeblies mounted. I like how they turned out.

10653540_10206176607594670_6184909224084040228_n.jpg

The rest of my Aluminum tape is en route to Scotland. Hope it works out for ya, Howlrunner. Should be plenty for a few builds, over 5ft or so.

Warning guys
The Medial Droid that is in the exhibit is a rebuild.
The original prop was damaged and dismantled with a lot of missing parts when it was shipped to Skywalker Ranch.
They had to fudge it a bit to be able to display it

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back