*2.0 UPGRADE!! New progress on page 8!* Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread

Re: Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread

As I told you on FB this looks fantastic already. Can't wait to see it continue to take shape. :) In the meantime, Bats needs a monkey wrench in his hand. lol
Ha, absolutely. I have an old mold for one somewhere in storage.. I'll see if I can find it and run a foam copy for him. :)

coofunkcurly said:
Unfortunately running foam latex is a whole different animal than running urethane or slip latex. Need a cored mold, industrial mixer, injector, and big oven for pieces like this.

Very big oven indeed.. This cowl is huge.

I still don't trust foam latex for displays and I probably never will... But there certainly is some magic there when wearing the stuff. Really can't beat it for cowls IMO.. But a few years ago I thought batman would never turn his neck. How things change. :)

As I told you on FB this looks fantastic already. Can't wait to see it continue to take shape. :) In the meantime, Bats needs a monkey wrench in his hand. lol

Unfortunately running foam latex is a whole different animal than running urethane or slip latex. Need a cored mold, industrial mixer, injector, and big oven for pieces like this.

Oh I know lol which is why I was saying I knew how to mold/cast them. That way if they ripped I'd have back ups [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just a quick update and question. I've got a Still The Batman suit arriving today... Would anyone want me to do a write up of how I paint and weather the suit? Will also be applying the emblem, so I could fit that in as well?
Will have a photo up as soon as I'm home from work, and hopefully a painted suit this weekend!

I have a coat on order and am also curious if anyone would like me to document the weathering of that?

Last edited:

Cool. Thank you for the info. One more question, do latex cowls and urethane cowls hold their shape about the same?

Cool. Thank you for the info. One more question, do latex cowls and urethane cowls hold their shape about the same?

I think urethane generally holds its shape better than latex.
Of course there are different types of urethane rubbers, different shore hardnesses, different thicknesses in materials.. Etc, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Update on the suit.. Knightmare Bat's is currently being impeded by the USPS... USPS didn't deliver it today, even though tracking showed it being on the van out for delivery. Will hopefully get it tomorrow....

This is exactly why I hate shipping with USPS and only do it when I absolutely have to.. They SUCK!

Took a little while longer than expected, seeing as the mail carrier delivered my suit to the wrong address, but I finally got the suit today and got a chance to get some paint on there.

First off, this is a suit by Still the Batman, (now Laoch FX) and was a prototype suit. It has a few mixed test pieces and as such I was able to get it rather discounted. The suit is pretty damn phenomenal, and as of this exact moment? The closest you can find to the screen used one IMO.
I was hoping it would fit a little tighter than it does, but I can always bulk out my mannequin in the future or wrap it tighter from behind.. I would absolutely recommend this suit to anyone making a display or cosplaying as the bat... he can custom size them for you and everything.

Onto painting!

I've attached some before and afters below of the suit, how it arrived and the (mostly) finished look. I used a lot of blues, golds, silvers, and black tones to paint this suit. Most of it was done with an airbrush.. my Iwata Eclipse, specifically.

If you buy the battle damaged suit you would be able to skip this step, but seeing as the torso area is lacking battle damage on this specific suit, I decided to use a light blue..close to the fabric color.. and a silver to add lines and scarring. I then mottled around the suit with the silver to add some depth. I then took the same blue and did some subtle shadowing where I thought it needed it.

From there I moved onto the gold. Obviously on the real suit its meant to be placed in highlight areas where the muscles are much more defined but I don't have those defined muscles on my mannequin. Instead, I just went in and approximated where those muscles would fall and added the highlighting.

The final step was tying it all together with a very thinned down black mist coat, and then adding some very subtle shading over some of the blue areas.

In the end, you will not see 95% of the suit underneath the coat and pants, but I know the paint job is there and it makes me happy. Hope you enjoy, and/or found this helpful in some way. :)

IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2519.JPG

Another photo set up with a temporary jacket. Actually quite like this.

So new pieces include the suit by Laoch FX, and I've finally finished the belt kit from Cosplay Chris. horrorfx amazing belt dude! Think I wrote about it a few pages back but it really pops man.

The trench coat is in the mail and I've just got to sort the gloves, gauntlets, second belt, and boots. I have a Scar airsoft rifle to paint up eventually, but I'm looking at perhaps getting a more accurate one. The holster will eventually be replaced with the proper safariland one as well.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Man, that is some quality work. Have you considered gluing to a muscle suit? But because most of it is not being seen i imagine it'd would be a pointless exercise haha

Thanks bud, I appreciate it.

I have been considering beefing up the mannequin with removable foam.. No plans to glue the suit down just yet.
If/When I get around to sculpting a muscle suit for it? Then I'll think about glue. :)

Man, that is some quality work. Have you considered gluing to a muscle suit? But because most of it is not being seen i imagine it'd would be a pointless exercise haha

Wanted to throw one more update up.. Going to be a little while before we see it again, but progress is moving strong. :)

Gauntlets have been (re)purchased from Tiger Stone FX. I'm very excited to have another go painting these gauntlets, and couldn't be happier they will have a piece on the finished statue. The trench coat should be in sometime next week! I will begin weathering that as soon as it arrives. Today I picked up a good holster belt from a thrift store as well. I even found a pretty good pair of binoculars.

The only things left to tackle are the boots and gloves.. And eventually a more accurate holster.. But other than that we are steps away from the finish line!

Just for fun, here is a photo of the first pair of gauntlets I painted from Tiger Stone.. Really miss these ones!
image.jpeg

I'm sorry you miss them, but I'm not giving them back :lol I like them too much. Although if I had one complain, it would that I wish the leather texture was a bit more pronounced. The more I look at pictures, the more I'm convinced they either are real wetformed leather or really, really good imitations.

On second thoughts now, I may have an idea. PM incoming.

Last edited:

I'm sorry you miss them, but I'm not giving them back :lol I like them too much. Although if I had one complain, it would that I wish the leather texture was a bit more pronounced. The more I look at pictures, the more I'm convinced they either are real wetformed leather or really, really good imitations.

On second thoughts now, I may have an idea. PM incoming.

The screen used ones are indeed leather. Seems like it would be very expensive to reproduce correctly though.

I agree, I wish the leather texture was more pronounced, but they are still my favorite gauntlets available at the moment. :)

PM replied by the way.

So I know I said I wouldn't have an update for a little bit... But God bless DHL.
What would have taken at least a week with USPS has taken two days with DHL.. Wasn't expecting this coat for at LEAST another week so it was truly a pleasant surprise.

So the coat was purchased on eBay from seller buy_it_now_007
It was made and shipped from Pakistan and it is some type of real leather. Rather thin, but real none the less. The build and leather itself is gorgeous and aside from some small inaccuracies.. Such as the fourth button missing, along with the buttons and straps in the back.. It makes for a very nice coat. It came sort of pre-weathered but it wasn't great, and that's why I chose to have my own go at it.

Overall, I'd absolutely recommend the coat. Not much bad I can say about it. :)

I did have a go at weathering it... I'm not 100% satisfied with the weathering, so I will be retrying again soon, I'm sure. Really like how the back turned out so that's what I'll go for on the front. My process was basically using a few different colors really thinned down, airbrushed on and then wiped off. I then went in and mottled around with darker browns and a black.

I ended up feeling perhaps the front was a tad too dark and removed some of the paint, but I honestly think I preferred the darker look. From here, it's just adding that back in with the airbrush and sealing the leather.

I also darkened the pants a little as well as weathered the holster belt. Once Tiger Stone's gauntlets are here? We'll be seeing it all together. :D

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back