1940s Serial Batman - Suggestions please!

Ok so I'm not exactly looking to do a replica of the 1940s serial Batman costume but since I've seen SO MANY amazing bat-suits on this site already I figure I'd ask: does anyone know the material used for the body suit? My Batman suit is still very much in the planning stage (hope for it to be ready by Halloween 2011) and is as of right now most similar to Paul Pope's Batman Year 100 suit, but the look of the '40s serial gray body suit looks good to me.

If anyone knows (1) what material that is, (2) what a similar-looking material is, or (3) where I could get a similar-looking gray body suit it would be most appreciated.

I doubt I'd be able to make the bodysuit from scratch anyway, but the belt, gloves, mask, boot-spats have had extensive planning put into them already (I don't think I'd make the cape myself either).

I'll be sure to post progress pics of the black vinyl mask if the mannequin head I ordered comes in any time soon and if I can actually make it look good enough to not want to rip it into a million pieces and pretend it never happened. Thanks!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2374/2143663429_44234e3291.jpg

http://www.pimpmybatmobile.com/images/serial-Batman-02w.jpg

Man, I'm kind of in love with this look. So low-tech and vintage - And the top stitching on the bat symbol! - I love it!

You're going to hate me for saying it, but it looks like a wool. It's just fuzzy enough around the edges with a heavy enough soft drape (plus, given the time period..) for me to say that I'm 99% sure it's a wool. Luckily, there are plenty of modern non-wool fabrics out there. I'd go with a heavy textured cotton; thick but soft with a twill or twill-like weave. Maybe monkscloth? You might even be able to use a corduroy if the ribbing is low and close enough. I'd look for a material that could pass off as a lightweight blanket.

I hope that helps! Good luck! I can't wait to see progress.

Man, I'm kind of in love with this look. So low-tech and vintage - And the top stitching on the bat symbol! - I love it!

You're going to hate me for saying it, but it looks like a wool. It's just fuzzy enough around the edges with a heavy enough soft drape (plus, given the time period..) for me to say that I'm 99% sure it's a wool. Luckily, there are plenty of modern non-wool fabrics out there. I'd go with a heavy textured cotton; thick but soft with a twill or twill-like weave. Maybe monkscloth? You might even be able to use a corduroy if the ribbing is low and close enough. I'd look for a material that could pass off as a lightweight blanket.

I hope that helps! Good luck! I can't wait to see progress.

That's EXACTLY what I liked about the look of the old serial costume and Paul Pope's take; visible seams, stitching, bunching fabric...sure it's ridiculous that a billionaire would have such a home-made-looking and low-tech costume but I like my superheroes to embrace their inherent ridiculousness.

I was afraid you'd say wool, but never would've thought of something like corduroy without your suggestion, and monkscloth is completely foreign to me so I'll definitely have to look into it.

As for progress pics for the body suit, don't hold your breath...I'll be posting the mask pictures ASAP though. Thanks so much for the input!!

I have nothing useful to add, but I admire you for taking on Old School Bats. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

first time actually ever seeing this costume....he kind of looks like a costume someones nanna would make them for halloween...lol...

if you're going for a 1:1 look thats cool....but i reckon with a few adjustments and some 'tailoring' it could come out looking quite awesome....

also i just noticed while looking at the second picture...there's a giant armpit sweat mark....that probly confirms wool...lol

Hey,

I had to bust out the dvd's of this after your post!
This is a great retro costume. I've toyed with the idea myself.

Natural fibers all the way. Use the George Reeves super suit as reference for textures.
Knit wool for the tights.
The gloves and boots are suede leather.
I recall seeing the cape for this in auction photos. There is cording running down the seams of the cape for the "ribs" of the bat wings.

There is some sort of rigid form under the mask and top of the cowl.

Good luck with this and keep us posted!!!
Chuck...

BTW, the second photo posted with the "sweat stains" is a miniature scaled action figure . The maker should be proud!!!

first time actually ever seeing this costume....he kind of looks like a costume someones nanna would make them for halloween...lol...

if you're going for a 1:1 look thats cool....but i reckon with a few adjustments and some 'tailoring' it could come out looking quite awesome....

also i just noticed while looking at the second picture...there's a giant armpit sweat mark....that probly confirms wool...lol

Maybe Alfred and Aunt Harriet sewed it for Bruce. :lol

Hopefully there's a good substitute for wool that shares its texture but isn't so warm...I sweat enough as it is.

My phrasing was unintentionally misleading and I feel bad since so many people clicked into this thread expecting to see an awesome replica costume; I don't intend to make an accurate replica of this suit. This is because (1) I wouldn't have the skills/resources/budget to do it right, and (2) what you already said: with tweaks it could potentially look pretty cool.

I liked the texture of the '40s serial Batman bodysuit and like the sharp angle on the front of the cowl, but I'm also drawing inspiration from Paul Pope's Batman: Year 100 costume design.

beastchurchland-paulpopebatmanyear100.jpg

This picture looks like it's from a part of the story that takes place just before he put on his gloves and cape but I'm sure you get the idea. Pope's Bat-cape was divided in two pieces to resemble batwings more closely. While I respect the concept I want to go with a more traditional Bat-cape.

Hey,

I had to bust out the dvd's of this after your post!
This is a great retro costume. I've toyed with the idea myself.

Natural fibers all the way. Use the George Reeves super suit as reference for textures.
Knit wool for the tights.
The gloves and boots are suede leather.
I recall seeing the cape for this in auction photos. There is cording running down the seams of the cape for the "ribs" of the bat wings.

There is some sort of rigid form under the mask and top of the cowl.

Good luck with this and keep us posted!!!
Chuck...

BTW, the second photo posted with the "sweat stains" is a miniature scaled action figure . The maker should be proud!!!

Wow I'm a moron for not even realizing that was an action figure...you'd think the proportions of the seams would tip me off but nope.

I really, really appreciate the insight on the fabrics used for this costume but am unfortunately nowhere near the skill level or budget to even use that information.

I think Pope intended for the cowl to be leather and I'll be using black vinyl. Hopefully that works.

For the 'rigid form' for the cowl, what would you recommend for a beginner to use so it keeps its shape?

OK, I'll resurrect this thread because this costume has been a project I've wanted to pursue for a couple of years. Has ANYONE done it?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back