10th Doctor suit from jamesbondsuits.com

Soundbarricade

(First of all, this is the first thread I have started here, so please feel free to have it moved, if this isn't the right place for it!)

So, hello all!
I am in the middle of upgrading my 10th Doctor cosplay and I needed a new suit. The blue one I have is from hellocosplay.com, and it is clearly a costume, not a suit. So I looked around and found Magnoli (perfect, but expensive) and Jamesbondsuits.com aka. Jbsuits.com. They costum make it to your specifications, and are 199$ per suit, but I could only find the reviews on the page itself, and they all had small errors that made me worry, and one guy on another forum, who said that his black suit was nice, but had too long sleeves. But I figured, what the heck, and I tried to order a brown suit, because it was the only one that had actual pictures, and not just stock photos. After I had ordered it, I started to worry. A lot. They didn't seem trustworthy, and I even found a page mentioning credit card fraud. After weeks of waiting I got a mail from the Amanda person a lot of the reviews mentioned (another thing that felt suspicious) asking for pictures of me. I am very tall and thin, so they just needed to make sure that the measurements I had sent were right. I sent a front and a side pic, and fast forward three-ish weeks later, I get a shipping notice from dhl (I think) saying that my packar had been picked up in Pakistan. Now, I now that the page says that they have it made "over seas" but that really made me nervous!! Anyway, five days later, I receive it, and lucky me, it is actually okay! :) not too thin, doesn't feel like a costume, and fits! The costumes I have, made to measure, all have too tight pants, and the blue suit (costume) I have, I had to sew in the back to make smaller, and move the buttons :-/
But this actually is a suit, suit, and not just a costume, suit. A thing I noticed is the lining. It is nice and everything, but it has the logo for "Gnious" all over it. Upside down. It can't be seen when you wear it, but it is a little weird. For people who don't know Gnious, it is a cheaper brand, but it is still good quality :) all pockets work and there is even buttons for suspenders :p

I will upload pictures of the suit later, and tomorrow I will have my girlfriend take some pictures of me in it, so if anyone has requests, things they would like a closer look at or anything, please ask!

And also please be aware when buying. I would hate to give a website a "good" review, and then have someone buy from them and get ripped off :-/

Lastly, let me just apologize for any errors I may have made. Having pointed out the suspicious errors on their page, I would hate to be suspected of being "one of them" due to English being my second language, and also due to iPhone spellcheck ;-)

First off: the chest pocket. I don't know why, but they made it way to curved! It is curved on the actual Tennant suit, but not this much! I might try to cut off the points, but I don't know yet...
image.jpg

It it does have the blue stripes, but if you look close, you can see that it is thread. I have a "real" suit in black with white stripes, and they are made in a similar way.
image.jpg

Here re we have the jacket. The ligt is horrible, it's 7:52 in the evening and I'm using the cam on my iPhone :p the chest pocket is a little too high. The top button should be right in the middle of the pocket.
image.jpg

The lining. Surprisingly neat for a 199$ "cheap" suit :)
image.jpg

And the weirdly suspicious "Gnious" upside down logo inside :-/
image.jpg

Will snap a few pics of the pants later, and get some with it on in better light!
the brown is a little... Weird? It looks very different in sunlight than in artificial light, but Tennant's also looks a different brown from pic to pic...

- - - Updated - - -

Does it have the proper blue pinstripes?

it does have blue pinstripes, but I am not quite sure that they are "right". Depends how much of a perfectionist you are ^^

Also of note: all the buttons are a liiittle tight to open and close. It will probably be easier when they have been used :)

This is what it came in. A plastic bag in a plastic envelope. When I saw it, I thought that the suit would be a lot more creased than it was.
image.jpg

The pants: they have a zipper and a "hidden" button, plus a metal... Latch? Sorry, I don't know what that is called.
image.jpg

My thumb :p the bottom of one of the legs. They both have about 6 cm. (sorry, my non-European readers) of extra fabric folded in. It can't be seen from the outside, but it allows you to make the pants longer, if needed.
image.jpg

The inside of the pants. There are two buttons in the back and four in the front. I think they are for suspenders, but it isn't something I asked for, or something the website mentioned, so at first I was confused :p
image.jpg

The sides have a pair of elastic peaces that can be buttoned on either of the two buttons, to tighten it a bit. I don't need that, though, it fits rather nice :)
image.jpg

Of note is the fact that it feels like there is cardboard in the top of the pants (the "belt area") to stiffen the pants top. It doesn't feel uncomfortable, but if you have a bit of a belly, it might gnaw, maybe?

Thanks for posting such a detailed review. I really loved this tenth Doctor suit after seeing the pictures you posted, can you please give me the direct link of this suit??

A small update:
I just received a mail from jamesbondsuits, asking if I have gotten the suit and hoping everything is all right. They also asked for my feedback in a reply, so they could post it on their website. Now we will see if they edit my review, or post it, as is. I didn't say anything bad or anything, but it wasn't a review as perfect as all the others ;-)
Also of note is, that everything on the page has 4.5 - 5 stars out of 5, but there were no stars in my mail, for obvious reasons :p
I will post here again, when they post my review.

I'm so glad I found your post. I was looking at them as well for a blue suit I saw the brown had some actual remarks, but blue didn't.

$200 is more than I'd like to blow on a gamble, but I'm considering it. If I go through with it, I'll post it. I did just get my taxes back, so I might do it, knowing what you've said about yours, and not be too excited about it.

I'd love a Magnoli, but just can't right now. They look amazing though.

Over all, are you happy with the "you get what you pay for" idea? Is it worth $200 to you? Would you do it again know what you know?

I agree that 200$ is a lot for a gamble, but I think it is worth it. As I said, it is an actual suit of okay quality, not a costume. I think maybe they make them in a factory that makes actual suits, and then use scraps and "trash" peaces of fabric, or something like that. I haven't worn it for a whole day yet, so I don't yet know how it holds up to wear.
Now, about the blue suit. They don't have any actual pictures of it, only two David Tennant pics. I'm not sure if it even has the rusty red stripes, witch I find the most important detail. I wrote them today, asking, but have yet to get a reply. I also wrote and asked about the stripes way back when I ordered my brown suit, but didn't get a reply :-/
If I can be assured that they have proper stripes (asked for pictures) I have considered getting the blue next month. If the stripes are also important to you, I'd say wait until I have an answer from them :)

Overall I am happy with it, and yes, I would buy it again, knowing the quality. (But I wouldn't be nervous for weeks, wondering if I would ever receive it:p )
The question is how perfect do you need it to be? I'm going to use it at a lot of smaller conventions where people aren't complete Doctor Who fanatics, so no one is going to question if the brown is too light or the stripes are too thin. I only just bought the swirly tie from magnolia yesterday, having used second-hand shop ties that had the general collors, but now that I have dived into it, I felt like I needed something proper.
But yeah, with the long coat over it, I think people need to be very anal about it to notice the "faults" :)
Will post pictures of me in it, when my ill girlfriend gets better:-/

And now I received a mail from "Amanda"! (Still find it suspicious that so many reviews mention her by name :-/ )
She writes that the suit is navy blue, but that it has stripes that are more brown-ish than red. She also writes that they are working on a new fabric to make it look even closer to the screen used suit, so anyone considering the blue suit: wait! I wrote back and asked if she knows when the new fabric will be used, and will post when I have an answer :)

I also got a mail saying thanks for the review I sent them in a mail, per their request. They asked me to go to their page and post the review there, so I did. Now the page says:
Your review was saved and is pending approval.
That sounds to me like negative reviews might get removed, so I really don't think much of their on-page reviews :-/
but then again, I have nothing ground shatteringly bad to say about the suit, so... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got another mail reply!
She doesn't know when the new blue fabric will be used exactly, but she suggested that I could ask again next month, so I will do just that, and keep everyone updated here as I do ^^

I want the blue suit more. I'm glad you found out about the red stripe not being on there. The brown suit is nice too, but I don't remember any episodes with the brown suit and red Chuck Taylors. And I want the red shoes!

I'll definitely be following this to see about the blue suit in a month or so.

Davard74, when David wore his blue suit, he wore maroon converses. :) just in case you didn't know. It's hard to tell, but if you wear red instead of maroon, there will be a notable difference

Thanks. I was just referring to the red (maroon) vs the white ones. I do have a pair of maroon chuck taylors, my only part of the outfit actually... Lol

he wore them only with the blue suit as I recall. Do you know of any episodes where he wore the brown suit and maroon shoes? I don't think he ever did.

Davard74, when David wore his blue suit, he wore maroon converses. :) just in case you didn't know. It's hard to tell, but if you wear red instead of maroon, there will be a notable difference

Davard, No he never wore maroon with the brown suit, Though he did wear navy blue converse with his brown suit in the series 2 episode 'Fear her', apart from that, I don't believe he ever mixed it up

Davard, No he never wore maroon with the brown suit, Though he did wear navy blue converse with his brown suit in the series 2 episode 'Fear her', apart from that, I don't believe he ever mixed it up

You're right about him not ever wearing the maroon Chucks with the brown suit. However in Fear Her and The Impossible Planet, he is wearing the "original" black & white chucks, not navy blue (he also wears the black ones with the tuxedo).

Picture time!
sorry it's taken me so long, but sickness and ****ty weather has been quite hindering :-/
But! A friend/fotographer suggested a shoot, so here are some of the best pics:

Flashin' my psychic paper ;-)
image.jpg

Intense Doctor:
image.jpg

Closeup of the suit:
image.jpg

Relaxed Doctor:
image.jpg

Pardon the coat, it was hella cold! I must also apologize for the tie. My Magnoli swirly-tie is on it's way, but didn't get here in time for the shoot :-/
there are plenty more pictures, so if anyone wants more, say the word! (Sadly none from behind, but I can snap a pic of the jacket if anyone wants? It does have the "half belt" and the correct opening in the back.)

a small correction on my behalf: I said that the pants felt like they had cardboard sewn in around the top. It has been pointed out to me that it is a thing used for suit pants, called something in the line of "belt-band" (sorry, not quite sure what the English name for it is). It is apparently legit, and I appologize for my lack of suit knowledge :p

and to end it all, shout out to Christopher, the photographer! He can be found on fotojyden.com!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back