10 new Star Wars tv series

Yeah its a lot of content. One can't help but make the comparison to Marvel. The biggest difference is that Marvel released nearly 30 films over the course of 12 years. Lucasfilm is planning 10 new series, completely separate from one another in story, over the course of 3 years, plus Indy 5, Willow and that book series I mentioned. That's not so much ambitious as it is risky. Which is why I wouldn't be shocked in the least if the SW content is an attempt to cast as wide a net as possible for subscribers to Disney+ and not necessarily because they believe wholeheartedly in every one of these shows.

*Rushing out content and over saturating the market never hurt the quality of story telling in Star Wars. Just look at the sequel trilogy. Those turned out just fine! * insert barf emoji

Even with the financial backing and man power of Disney behind them this could potentially spell fiscal ruin for the company.

It's the triangle problem. You can have it cheap. You can have it fast. You can have it well made. You can only have two of those things, but never all three.

Actually the article I read didn't say 3 years, it said a few years. A few is more like 5. So, two new things a year is far from too much. We went 16 years with nothing, then 10-12 with nothing, well, TCW was in that span.

Personally, it does seem like they're reaching a bit. Not really interesting Cassian or the Marshalls or the Bad Batch. But, i'll at least give them a shot. I am very interested in Asohka and Obi Wan.

I can admit it does seem like they went back and looked over and said, people don't like the ST, so we'll avoid that. Everyone loved Ewan as obi, so we can do that. People love Mando, so lets do a spin off with the marshalls or whatever, and then people have always like Ahsoka, so lets do that. It does seem like they're trying to pick things they know people will like as opposed to writing good stuff for people to like.

I was thinking about epics and how much Star Wars might compare in years to come to other messy cannon. The example I started thinking of is the books of Middle Earth.

I would bet most "filthy casuals" if asked to list the ME books by JRR Tolkien would say The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Thanks to the movies they could probably name all three book of LOTR. Some might even list The Silmarillion. Fewer still will know the array of short stories, poems, some barely associated works and the occasional song.

Then there are the books that feature what some might consider academic or editorial content written by JRR; Mostly completed by his some Christopher are texts such as the twelve volume History of Middle Earth, Unfinished Tales, and The Letters of JRR Tolkien.

Which is a long winded way to say this bunny hole goes down a long ways.

Tolkien has loyal and insightful fans that can talk at length about his most well known works. Even those fans very likely have a boundary at which point they say "that stuff doesn't really count" or "I'm not interested in that book//poetry book/short story".

There is a core, essential mythology. The rest is varying degrees of optional.

The more Star Wars Disney churns out, the less any of their new stuff will matter. It will ironically become more and more about the works of Lucas, and everything else will be periphery.

Last edited:
I was thinking about epics and how much Star Wars might compare in years to come to other messy cannon. The example I started thinking of is the books of Middle Earth.

I would bet most "filthy casuals" if asked to list the ME books by JRR Tolkien would say The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Thanks to the movies they could probably name all three book of LOTR. Some might even list The Silmarillion. Fewer still will know the array of short stories, poems, some barely associated works and the occasional song.

Then there are the books that feature what some might consider academic or editorial content written by JRR; Mostly completed by his some Christopher are texts such as the twelve volume History of Middle Earth, Unfinished Tales, and The Letters of JRR Tolkien.

Tolkien has loyal and insightful fans that can talk at length about his most well known works. Even those fans very likely have a boundary at which point they say "that stuff doesn't really count" or "I'm not interested in that book//poetry book/short story".

The more Star Wars Disney churns out, the less any of their new stuff will matter. It will ironically become more and more about the works of Lucas, and everything else will be periphery.
I don’t know, that’s been my main problem with the big hype over TCW, Rebels, etc. Sure, I consider “Star Wars” in its purest form as “the first three movies”. But for many, many others, their definition includes those films as an afterthought. Rather than holding everything to the standard of the OT or higher, it’s compared to and formatted around those shows. So I agree that there should be a tier or hierarchy of how this ancillary content is judged, the center of that hierarchy is getting pulled faster and faster away from the true core.

I don’t know, that’s been my main problem with the big hype over TCW, Rebels, etc. Sure, I consider “Star Wars” in its purest form as “the first three movies”. But for many, many others, their definition includes those films as an afterthought. Rather than holding everything to the standard of the OT or higher, it’s compared to and formatted around those shows. So I agree that there should be a tier or hierarchy of how this ancillary content is judged, the center of that hierarchy is getting pulled faster and faster away from the true core.

Canon was always ANH-ROTJ. Even when they started the books in the early 90's they put out the disclaimed that they weren't bound to them if they made more movies, essentially saying 'this isn't canon material'.

Then they did the prequels, that was canon because GL did it and they were official movies. Those weren't bad enough for me to want to reject them. The story wasn't bad, the execution was. They're not on my must watch list by any stretch. Next was TCW and my initial reaction was 'cartoon? these aren't canon then, only movies'. Then GL came out and said they were in fact canon. The next thing on the canon horizon really, was post purchase - that being Rebels, which they said was canon, and while the trailers didn't do it for me, they stated it was canon, so it was. Turned out they were really good (my opinion). Rogue One, canon because they said it was.

There was nothing objectionable through that as far as I was concerned. Then came 'the dark times...'.
I didn't have a problem with TFA other than the destruction of my heroes lives in the past 30 years. Ok, so i had a problem :) But, i rationalized it as 'well, they have 2 more flicks to make me buy what they're selling here'. Let's just say they failed spectacularly. These are canon because the new owner says so.

I don't know that i reject them, but, there's kind of a wall in my mind that stops short of TFA. Maybe that's the same basic reason all the new shows are pre-ST. I don't know.

Regardless though, that's 'canon' because largely those in charge said so. I don't take any books or comics or games as canon, even though the powers that be say some are. That's because you can't really do that when the vast majority of your audience won't ever see those. That was a big problem with the ST in that there were three canon books to fill you in on a lot of stuff post ROTJ and pre TFA. That's a big fail. 95% of you viewing audience isn't going to read them which makes the endeavor pointless in the scheme of using it onscreen. I think LFL got that to a degree. That's why you didn't get anything relevant in the ST that came from TCW, Rebels, or any other comics or books other than those 3. They got it, but just not enough.

Even with Mando, you didn't need to see TCW or Rebels for anything they've done. Asohka could've been some new made up Jedi we never saw before and the script for that episode could have stayed 100% the same. Nothing was done to make prior knowledge required. Sure, there were a couple references in the dialog, but if you don't know the story, you missed nothing in the episode. Period. F&F get that people may not have seen what came before and aren't making it mandatory to enjoy the Mandalorian. About the only required prior knowledge for the Mandalorian is the OT. Even at that, it's just that the Empire were the bad guys and they lost and it helps to know who Fett is/was.

♂️
10? Quantity over quality? Like Kurtzman?

Wasn't this why "they" said Solo failed?

If these shows turn out to be great then great! If not... *sigh*
To be fair, as much as I dislike intensely TROS and think some of these show decisions are a bad idea, nothing they’ve put out yet is quite as bad as Alex Kurzman, the man who gave us such hit films as “Amazing Spider-Man 2”, “The Mummy (2017)”, and new Star Trek…

As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars ended in 1983. Absolutely nothing that has come since has matched that kind of feel or quality. Most things that come out today are flash over substance. I want substance. Today, there is very little of that.

Agreed. This is the reason I proudly display this patch, despite enjoying quite a few series and movies (even post-Lucas)

SW I love all 3 Star Wars films.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back