1/72 scale A-wing modified for droid

Durrett

I got this kit as a prize in the light saber contest about six months ago, and I just got around to putting it together. It is a mind blowing kit for the scale, it's less than 10cm long but super detailed. The kit is by rb26 and I can't say enough good things about it. That being said, I don't think I've ever put a kit together without mutilating it in some way.
I always really liked the A-wing, but thought it was weak that there was no pit for an astro-mech droid. Who are you going to talk to? I thought about trying to shoehorn in an X-wing style droid plate, but there was no way, so I kit-bashed it from parts out of an M4 callipoe kit.

I also wanted to give it some hot rod blowers on the hood, no idea why. More parts from the M4 and some careful carving out of the targeting sensor hatches (I think that's what goes there anyway) The droid was mostly parts form a pen I stole from a hotel room in Iceland.

A shot before I glued the canopy down. These pictures do not do justice to the cockpit detail. I liked how he had the pilot looking to the left while flying, super safe. Not that you would be able to see whatever was directly in front of you with that canopy design anyway.

I went a little nuts on the base, I think it is kind of overwhelming for the size of the kit, but it was super fun to build.

Some glamour shots. This thing ended looking filthy like a little pig. Couldn't stop weathering it. That's why I can't have nice things.

I thought about lighting it, I even hollowed out the engines before I realized it would all end in tragedy if I persisted.

Ha!! Nice work, it looks pretty good to me. So is this smaller or larger than the MPC kit?

I'm the same with weathering. If I can't paint it grey then wash and drybrush and pastel and airbrush the CRAP out of it, I don't wanna know. :lol

But why does it need an astromech? It's a short-range figther - "no ship that small can make it this far into deep space on its own" - and we never ever see any A-wings making hyperspace jumps.

Oh, wait... :p

Ha!! Nice work, it looks pretty good to me. So is this smaller or larger than the MPC kit?

I'm the same with weathering. If I can't paint it grey then wash and drybrush and pastel and airbrush the CRAP out of it, I don't wanna know. :lol

But why does it need an astromech? It's a short-range figther - "no ship that small can make it this far into deep space on its own" - and we never ever see any A-wings making hyperspace jumps.

Oh, wait... :p

I think the MPC kit was 1/55 wasn't it? I know it was smaller than the ERTL kit.

I've built this kit, the detail on it is killer, simply amazing.

I do like your update to the kit, the implementation of the AstroMech is a great idea, and your colour scheme looks like it fits in the SW universe perfectly.

You can take a look a mine here:
1:72 Nubian A-Wing - Resin Illuminati

Great work, I look forward to some more SW 1/72 stuff!

Love the colour! The droid idea is excellent and very well executed. I also really like those turbocharger thingy's at the nose.

Well done, i usually find A-Wings a bit boring, but yours is pretty exciting!

Rich

I've built this kit, the detail on it is killer, simply amazing.

I do like your update to the kit, the implementation of the AstroMech is a great idea, and your colour scheme looks like it fits in the SW universe perfectly.

You can take a look a mine here:
1:72 Nubian A-Wing - Resin Illuminati

Great work, I look forward to some more SW 1/72 stuff!

That is a pretty rad paint job on your Nubian. Did you make your own decals for that?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back