1/72 Black Pearl kit from Zvezda

thanks -- my build is on hiatus -- got some of the string rigging started and decided to take a break...despite my own advice that one should do a little each week to keep momentum going.

i will eventually guilt myself into tackling more rigging, but i can say that it is the least favorite part of model making I have ever encountered. ;)

love to see other people's progress pics - might inspire me to get off my aft quarters and start in on this again.

New to the whole model ship thing. Question about buying this pirate ship is it worth the $120 for being a plastic ship? All info or experience would be greatfull
Thanks
Chris

You will find that nowadays models come with a large price tag.

In my opinion considering the subject and size, YES.

There is a build up of the Black Swan version (different figure head) over on the Fine Scale forum that has some good info in it.

Its such a shame it took me so long to see this thread, a while ago i found a guy who claimed to 2 sets of blue prints one for the Black pearl and another one for the Flying dutchman from pirates of the caribbean, and since i really love those films i check them out and they turn to be the BEST! blueprints for those ships i`ve seen in my whole life so i choose to buy the blueprints, the resolution of the blue prints is about 4000 x 7000 px and it detaills every single bit of the black pearl and the dutchman with such an amazing accuracy, are you guys still interested in build these ships?

You will find that nowadays models come with a large price tag.

In my opinion considering the subject and size, YES.

There is a build up of the Black Swan version (different figure head) over on the Fine Scale forum that has some good info in it.

Ah, so you're looking for money.

Those are from a Japanese site. (can't find the bookmark at the moment)

I've already seen them and they really don't do me any good since I am building the Pearl from the first film.

Okay, so my Black Pearl has been in dry dock for the better part of 4 years. I was paralyzed by the string rigging. Then one day I decided that rather than follow the instructions to the letter which called for five thousand strings, pulleys and winches, I would just do about a twenty strings, pulleys and winches and sort of make it up as I went along. It was either that or look at it sitting on my shelf unbuilt, mocking me. :)

So, while I am in humble awe of those who manage to get all the rigging accurate, I decided to swallow my pride simply to get 'er done and on the shelf. So, while my amateur rigging may cause the ship to veer a little starboard when the waves get rough, at least it looks good resting on the display stand...and least good enough for this couch-pirate.

I have yet to paint the base and name plaque...and I have decided to go back and add the string/rope rigging to each of the cannon doors...I thought I post pics of where it's at now as the detail stuff I have yet to do won't change the overall appearance that much. I also thought my approach to skimp on the rigging might be inspiration to others to do the same so their kit doesn't languish on the shelf...or inspire some to go full tilt and do ALL the rigging properly. ;)

One tip to those that wanna go all the way on rigging -- put in the small post pieces BEFORE instructions call for it (parts with little nubs that secure rigging on inside rails of ship) because when I thought about doing this myself, i could not get the leverage necessary to get the pieces into place -- too tight a fit and my fingers too big -- there was no way physically possible to get pieces into place and secure them well with glue -- and if these pieces aren't secured well, then when you pull string rigging taught, they would break away from ship and be impossible to secure back into place, which is liable to make you throw the entire model against the wall and then stomp on all the pieces.

Enough from me -- here are a few pics...and if you want to be REALLY inspired, GOOGLE Zvezda Black Pearl model and see how some of the pros did their model.

IMG_0162_zps00d6080f.jpg

IMG_0146_zpse86a3cd7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

some more pics...

IMG_0167_zpsb8f8c961.jpg

IMG_0169_zpsaca4bb17.jpg

IMG_0170_zps9d7e7144.jpg

IMG_0171_zps39a8a4bc.jpg

IMG_0172_zpsf98848a5.jpg

IMG_0173_zps04791fd1.jpg

IMG_0174_zps3962fefc.jpg

IMG_0177_zpscd29f6d0.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so my Black Pearl has been in dry dock for the better part of 4 years. I was paralyzed by the string rigging. Then one day I decided that rather than follow the instructions to the letter which called for five thousand strings, pulleys and winches, I would just do about a twenty strings, pulleys and winches and sort of make it up as I went along...
I think you used just enough to fool anyone who doesn't have intricate knowledge of how a sailing ship would be properly rigged. Nice work all around!

I really love the pain job. I am very new to making something look weathered.
Any tips?
Also, I really don't like rigging either!
I jut did viking ship, there was a little rigging but enough to make you head spin!

Hey mateys!
I recently purchased the *copy* of the 1/96 POTC Black Pearl. I opened to find that we only received a CDROM with sequentially ordered pictures of assembly. There are no part numbers or really anything resembling an assembly guide. I see here that others did get one especially for the nearly identical (authentic?) one. Is anyone willing to part with their instruction guide? I would be willing to pay for it.

I believe the one I have for reference is this one.

Hey mateys!
I recently purchased the *copy* of the 1/96 POTC Black Pearl. I opened to find that we only received a CDROM with sequentially ordered pictures of assembly. There are no part numbers or really anything resembling an assembly guide. I see here that others did get one especially for the nearly identical (authentic?) one. Is anyone willing to part with their instruction guide? I would be willing to pay for it.

I believe the one I have for reference is this one.
If your link is correct the model you purchased is made from wood. That's very different from the styrene Zvezda kit.

ok, progress report -- build has been slow going...5 minutes here, 20 minutes there...i imagine many of you can relate to that.

pics below show where i'm at -- i decided NOT to have cannon hatches open, all will be closed, saving me the additional time of having to build all those freakin' teensy tiny cannons!! :)

seriously, as much as i like the action scenes in the pirates movie, when asked what the Pearl really meant to Jack, his answer was "freedom." i thought that was a very poetic response...espeically for ol' jack, but it is, in part, why i decided to leave hatches down and depict the Pearl as she would look roaming the high seas for adventure, and not looking for a battle.

that said, i envy any of you who decide to build yours full out with all those cannons ready for action.

one thing you have to watch for is when it comes time to join the sides of the ship to the model -- mine did not line up perfectly...look at the picture with red circle and you can see the arrows pointing at the gap. this can easily be filled with putty...i will likely fill mine with black milliput and touch up with paint...but be sure to test fit ahead of time and be ready to hold the pieces in place while they adhere/set. i used combination of regular of testors model glue -- the kind in orange tube -- and a bit of super glue gel here and there. i have the plastruct liquid cement that you brush on, but i do not find it all that effective, especially when applying to larger areas -- it seems to dry out or evaporate before i get the entire piece coated with glue.

i also have pics of the 1:72 pirate figures...the cannon that comes with them has a base that is identical in size to the cannon bases that come with the kit, but the figures still seem a tad large to me...not much, and i plan to use them anyways, but i will of course cut the bases off and glue the bottoms of their boots directly to the deck.

that's all for now...i have a day off from work tomorrow so i may try to get other side on the ship and maybe get to the mast poles...we'll see. just when i think i am ready for the next step, i read instructions and see i forgot 27 other little pieces that need to go on before i do the next big thing.

if any of you are building this, love to see your builds.

P1110377.jpg

P1110353.jpg

P1110371.jpg

P1110360.jpg

P1110359.jpg

P1110358.jpg

P1110357.jpg

P1110353.jpg
Awesome

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back