1/48 TIE Bomber Weekend Build (WIP)

Everything has been painted, just need it to dry for a few days and then the real painting begins. I have a much easier time weathering rebel vehicles than I do empire and especially darker grey ships, so here we go.

Looking fantastic!

I have the same issue. The rebel ships are a lot easier for me because they're so beat up. It gives you a lot of leeway unless you're going for studio replica perfection. Even accidents like a rogue glue smear can usually be made to work because you can just pass it off as more battle damage. The imperial ships need a very light and even hand on weathering because they're normally so pristine. A battle damaged TIE is a dead TIE. ;)

Looking fantastic!

I have the same issue. The rebel ships are a lot easier for me because they're so beat up. It gives you a lot of leeway unless you're going for studio replica perfection. Even accidents like a rogue glue smear can usually be made to work because you can just pass it off as more battle damage. The imperial ships need a very light and even hand on weathering because they're normally so pristine. A battle damaged TIE is a dead TIE. ;)
Bomber was pretty weathered for imperial ship fwiw lots of concrete and foundation

Looking fantastic!

"Even accidents like a rogue glue smear can usually be made to work because you can just pass it off as more battle damage"

That is why I love doing Star Wars builds :)

I have even dropped things, chipped or cracked it, and then thought, well, just need a bit more black paint on that...

Bomber was pretty weathered for imperial ship fwiw lots of concrete and foundation

I did see when I was looking at a few references that I can do some chipping so that will help for sure! Good call on the colors, I will have to use a few of those on this.

Okay, here are my weapons of choice. The only item not pictured is my trusty Tamiya Nato Black. That has become one of my favorite weathering colors for every build, even if I am doing only Archive X paints. It just has a great hue to it and I never weather or pre/post shade with straight black, it's always Nato.

IMG_20211211_113734359.jpg

Here is the first pass with a bit of Lark Grey and Concrete for chipping and Nato Black for the streaking and shading. I did decide to lay it down pretty heavy as a few had pointed out that these are more heavily weathered and I also found that to be true in my 'research'. I will be knocking this back a bit with some dusting of Stormy Sea and Earth. Earth is my favorite weathering color and just seems to give the star wars builds that special color...

IMG_20211212_101353339.jpg

IMG_20211212_101452434.jpg

As you can see here, I am leaving the cockpit open. Initially I was going to black out the windows but I really like the fact that you can see how it works inside.

IMG_20211212_101503638.jpg

I am however not done with the build. This kit comes with a 'bonus' set of files to build out a hangar stand. So, with that in mind, I have a few ideas to make a full diorama or at least a nice base for it.

This is a mix of PLA and Resin prints. Siraya Tech Sculpt is quickly becoming my resin of choice. Almost as strong as BLU but a bit easier to print with and clean.

IMG_20211212_144727597.jpg

Dang. Those Prusa printers are sooooo nice!

SB

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I am looking to scale this up a bit to 1/34 and see what it looks like now that I have a larger printer. 1/24 is my favorite but it's getting hard to find places to put them :)

I think 1/34 might be a happy medium.

Once I get done with a few other projects I will get back to the diorama for this one.

I gutted my Prusa over the holiday break and it's printing better than ever! Upgraded the heat break, bearings, extra-wide belts, and a Bontech extruder.

IMG_20211226_223555774.jpg

IMG_20211227_225105917.jpg

IMG_20211229_204123446.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back