1:48 Scale Y Wing

Flintlock

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As some of you probably know, I have been involved with (off and on) identifying the model kits used in building the ILM Studio Y Wing for quite a while. Recently, I have become very interested in building a model of the Y Wing half this size. Why, you ask? Mainly because it's cheaper, would be a great companion to the ERTL X Wing, TIE Fighter, and TIE Interceptor, reproducing it in resin several times would be a bit more feasible, and I wanted to have something much more accurate to the original than the SMT Y Wing. I have done extensive research on this, and have learned a lot... but I am not done yet! As soon as I get back to my home (should be NOV-DEC), I will start opening kits (1/72 armor and 1/48 aircraft) and taking pictures of what is in there. If anyone is interested, or has something to contribute, please post! Some of you out there will find that it is much cheaper, and much more practical to build a Y Wing this size, vice the studio sized one. I will soon submit another post on some of the preliminary info I have found, so check back!

Last edited:
What I wanted to be able to do is scratchbuild/kitbash a Y Wing that is 1/2 the size of the ILM Studio Y Wing, and had very similar details. To do this, one needs to know what kits were used on the studio model, and search for kits that are half the scale (mostly 1/72 armor kits - which is not exact, but close enough). This has been done before by a couple of people, namely SMT and Rafael Mateo. SMT's Y Wing (http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/jc_ywing.htm), while a very nice kit, is not very accurate when it comes to details. Rafael Mateo's Y (http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/rm_ywing.htm), however, is a beautiful model and looks to be pretty close detail-wise to the studio model. In reporting what I have found, I want to start by naming some of the kits one would NOT find...

1/288 Saturn V - The ILM model used Airfix 1/144 scale Saturn V rocket kits, as is well known. AMT had a "man in space" pro shop model kit that had a 1/200 scale Saturn V in it. I have this kit and it is not the right size. I found a 1/290 scale Saturn V by Cashulette Engineering Co. but it is all one piece and looks more like a toy (does anyone have this model?). All in all, one could just get some plastic tube of the correct diameter (1 3/8" I think) and use that pretty nicely. I plan to get Plastruct tubes, and modify some of the pieces from the AMT pro shop model for mine. There is also a part on the top/rear detail of the Y. The AMT model may be good enough for this part.

1/144 Sealab III - The 1/72 Sealab used on the ILM model is hard enough to find, and I think one could be pretty certain that there is no 1/144 scale kit that has the same pieces.

1/18 Kettenkraftrad - The DML 1/9 Kettenkrad proved to contribute to the elusive "dome struts" on the ILM model. To my knowledge, there is no 1/18 scale version.

1/144 Schools Class Harrow - the Airfix/Kitmaster/Dapol Harrow is a valuable kit for both the X Wing and Y Wing studio models, and I am pretty sure there was no kit half the size produced.

1/50 Centurion - I recently found out that the Tamiya 1/25 Centurion contributes more parts to the ILM model than I had previously thought. I think it is safe to bet that there is no 1/50 equivalent with all the same parts.

There are some others that have a slim chance, but I am still investigating them. If you have any info on these, please share!

1/72 M1 155mm Howitzer or equivalent
1/48 Harrier (there are several kits, but none that I know of that has engine parts)
1/48 Shiden

The rest, believe it or not, have a suitable half-size exact or close counterpart, or are easy enough to scratch build.

Rear Plate Detail - I don't think it was ever pinned down exactly what kit was used on the studio model. The closest I've seen to the exact detail is a Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger. This detail could also be from a Jagdtiger. There are plenty of 1/72 kits that have nice detail to be used here on a 1/48 scale Y Wing. The Revell Germany 1/72 Panther G looks real nice, but I am going with either the Italeri King Tiger, or the Revell Germany King Tiger.

Sides of the Neck - The Tamiya 1/35 Panzerspahwagen SdKfz 232 (8Rad) was used on the studio model for either side of the "neck" right before the head. Airfix has a 1/72 kit called "German 8 Wheeled Armored Car". I have not been able to find any pictures of the underside of this kit to see if it is right. However, if it is not right, there are some ways around this particular detail. Anyone have any pictures of the parts of this kit?

"Dome Strut Box" - The box part of the "dome struts" on the ILM model was found to be from the Tamiya 1/35 PzKpfw III Ausf M/N. There is a 1/72 kit from ESCI that has all the same parts from this kit! There are more parts than just the box that is used, but it has them all! I am not certain about the availability of this kit, as it is an old one, so I went for a Revell Germany 1/72 PzKpfw IV Ausf H. instead. This kit has only the box detail, and it needs to be cut free from the surrounding turret. It also has shovels that are an almost exact copy of the ones used for the ILM model. Another kit that has the box detail is the Italeri 1/72 PzKpfw IV Ausf G. This has to be cut out as well.

Some of the ILM studio models use "exhaust canisters" (I think that's what they are) from a 1/35 Tiger I kit on the wings, in place of the track links from the DML 1/9 Kettenkrad. The Revell Germany 1/72 PzKpfw VI Tiger I Ausf H has these "canisters" and could be used perfectly well. However, Rafael Mateo seems to have found some track links to fit his 1/48 Y. Rafael, if you are out there, please enlighten us!

There are pretty significant parts on the ILM Y Wing that come from the DML 1/15 Hummel. Is there a 1/35 counterpart to this (1/35 being as close as one can get)? It turns out that DML itself recently released a 1/35 Hummel (initial version) that has most of the parts used, only half the size. As far as I can tell from pictures I have found, the parts need only some slight modification to be just right.

I thought I was not going to be able to find the engine parts from a 1/48 Hurricane. The engine block halves, oil pans, and valve covers from the Airfix 1/24 Hawker Hurricane are used on the ILM model. These are some really prominent pieces. I knew from owning other 1/24 planes that some other props had used the same engine. After posting a question on some Plane Talking message board, I was told that the ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk 9 kit has these engine parts in them, only 1/48 scale. The oil pans from this kit are close, but not right on. The engine block halves look kinda weird, and may not be usable... then again they might. The valve covers are right on as far as I can tell.

There are still some loose ends to tie up, and if enough people are interested then it will happen. Some others I didn't mention are Messerschmitt landing gears for the "dome struts". Any 1/48 Messerschmitt should have landing gears close enough, but there is also part of the propeller that needs to be used. The engine halves from this kit are also used on the bottom of the Y Wing, but I am not sure if there are any 1/48 Messer's with engines. I also didn't mention the 1/12 JPS part on top of the rear detail area. I plan on using a 1/20 Tyrrell part and modifying it, or just scratchbuilding it.

That is pretty much all I have right now, even though I may have forgotten one or two things. If any of you out there have any ideas/confirmations/pictures/anything please share. 1/72 kits are relatively inexpensive. I bought 6 1/72 armor kits, and the 1/35 Hummel and spent about $80. With a couple of airplane kits, and some styrene sheets and shapes, most of the crucial parts would cost about $160. That contrasts to the thousand or so you could spend on kits for a studio scale replica, and these kits are easily obtainable. Plus, you can make a fleet of nicely-sized Y Wings to complement your X Wings, and not fill up your living room with klunky, studio-sized Y Wings!

Very cool project. You face the same decisions and dilemmas of the ILMers who made the 32" Falcon for ESB.

Well they just said... screw it... it will look good enough as a streaking blur flying throough asteroids that nobody will ever know the difference. They never counted on "us"
icon_wink.gif

This is an awesome project though. I have a whole bunch of 1/72 and some 1/144 armor kits to look through for you whan I get home. I've been trying to do something similar to this for building a detail kit for the ERTL falcon...going that it is almost 1/2 scale to the ESB 32" falcon
icon_wink.gif
I might have something you can use.

Jedi Dade

Treadwell, right you are! This project is very reminiscent of that project... and in the opposite direction, they did the 4 foot X Wing.

Alan, I took a look at your site... nice drawings! I already have some preliminary drawings for the basic shape of the body, however. The only thing I can't really do now is take some measurements from the kit pieces that ILM used. If you want to make some as well, then no one is stopping you. Do you have many reference photos to use? Pay close attention... there are some subtle angles that I see many people not get quite right. Thanks for the input, guys! I will post more when I get it.

Cool! What is naptha and where does one get it?

Another technique is using dental alginate as a casting medium. It shrinks.

"Here's a qustion that comes to mind is just about how much does the mold shrink? Half?

Hobbit 7"

He is still working out that part. It is a volumetric reduction so roughly if you mix 50/50 you would get a volume reduction of 50% when the naptha evaporates. Unfortunately it is not a linear reduction.

One of the later posts talks about the equations.

There is a picture of the 1/48 Harrier engine here http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1/801-900/Fea840_Harrier_Rao/fea840.htm

Alan

Hello

I am sorry, but I have not looked at this post in so long!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, guys for posting all the tips you posted. I am sure they will be very helpful. Especially this Napthalene stuff... Who would have thought? I may just have to get some of that... apparently it "fills" the silicon, and then evaporates as it separates, leaving the mold to "collapse" volumetrically and create a smaller mold. Ingenious!

I do have some more info on kits...

The Airfix 1/72 Armored Car is NOT a good choice for the side neck pieces. There is, however, a 1/72 SdKfz 232 made by Roden (a Russian company) that is pretty good. Some styrene may need to be added here and there, and some may need to be trimmed out to make it like the larger version, but size-wise it is exactly half. John C, thanks for the tip on the Tamiya Harrier. I saw that one in a store here in Japan, so I may go back and pick it up. 3 MORE WEEKS TO GO!

Once again, thanks guys!

Alan, did you do the perspective sketches of the Buck Rogers Starfighters on your site? They are nice! Would you consider doing one of the Y Wing?

No I can't take credit for those. They are pre-production drawings done for the TV show. I believe the illustratorÂ’s name is David Jones, but I haven't been able to confirm this.

Hello all,
I've also been thinking about doing a Y-Wing for some time now and I guess now would be a good time to start. I have some pics that describe the parts that Rafael Mateo used for his Y-wing. I would also appreciate any info anybody could give as well.
TIA

It's high time to resurrect this thread...

I guess I owe a big apology for dropping into obscurity without any explanation. I'm not going to have a lot of time to work on this project, but I decided to start it anyway with what I have and work on it when I get a little time here and there.

I can post pictures of what I found so far... It's not much, but I think it is sufficient to do a good kitbash.

For starters, I wish I had 2 Cashulette Engineering 1/290 Apollo Saturn V's. The AMT "Man in Space" kit is too big (1/200). I think, however, that the CE Saturn would be harder to find than the Aurora Sealab III. Instead I am going to use two soft PVC sink replacement tubes (from Home Depot) wrapped in styrene sheet (the diameter comes out just right).

But, as always, I'll ask if anyone has any info regarding the Cashulette Engineering Saturn V's...

P.S., I have some updates to the info I gave at the beginning of this thread... Stay tuned until I get back from work.

I have a technique for making silicone molds that shrink. So far I have tested a ration of 50:50 Silicone to Naptha that really does shrink 50% of volume. The actual ration of dimensional length is some sort of complicated math formula that I haven't figured out yet. But it is something to consider as you go forward with this venture.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back