1/48 Bandai x-wing (FINISHED...with video!)

astroboy

Master Member
Just finished the 1/72

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=233314

so it's time to go bigger. I'm a bit excited to do something in this scale. It's a first for me.

uploadfromtaptalk1431635517324.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Now that the ball is rolling...1/48 Bandai x-wing

I am working my way through the 1/72 X-Wing and I love it, but boy is it small.

I'd like to do the 1/48 one day to see how it compares to the Fine Molds

I'll definitely be following this build.

SB

These are so much fun to assemble.

And the panel lines aren't nearly as dramatic on the larger one. I'm also going to try and prime it after assembly. Normally I do it first. I figure, why not?
uploadfromtaptalk1431721886441.jpg

Decided to use black primer for a change. Not sure what I will use for a base coat. I feel as of my 1/72 base coat was a bit too white.

Here's a pic next to the 1/72uploadfromtaptalk1431804879881.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431804900615.jpg

One more thing I have to add is that I totally hate the stand on this model. It's so cheesy.

I would have loved for this model to be 25 bucks cheaper and NOT have any electronics.

This all being said, the apparatus for the moving parts is fantastic and makes assembly much more enjoyable than on the 1/72.

Yeah, I'm not very interested in the electronic aspect of this kit, so I hope that Bandai comes out with a non-electronic version. One can hope, I suppose.

SB

It also means that something about the wing spread feels a bit spongy. I haven't checked but they may not spread as much as they should

So I've got some base coat on it. White with a touch of gray and deck tan.

Remember what about the part seams not showing up at this scale? Boy was I wrong...uploadfromtaptalk1432083532837.jpguploadfromtaptalk1432083552013.jpg

Hmm... I think once the panels are painted different colors, they'll be a little less obvious.

Probably. The small one was fine.

But it feels as if everything is simply scaled upon this one

So I'm starting to figure out the paneling on this. On my 1/72 x-wing I figured out my paneling based off of a studio scale model that someone made.

For this one, I'm trying to see if I can follow the actual studio version (which has very few available images) which is pretty challenging.

Already I think I've messed up. This grey needs to have a bit less brown and a bit more blue

Attachments

• 20150608_093748.jpg
    20150608_093748.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 414

I think I've corrected the colour problem. Not sure. It may need a bit more blue in that mix

I'm really trying to use the source pics for my colour selections

Last edited:

Starting to come together nicely! :cool The lease colour looks great and nice work on the panels so far, the masking is driving me mad on my 1/72 FM, but getting there slowly and like you only a few studio pics to work from. Look froward to seeing this on completed.

Does anyone have any pics of the starboard side of red 5? Very hard to come by.

Sadly, the only one I can find is in my kids' star wars abc'suploadfromtaptalk1434048875398.jpg

I also didn't realize that they made a 4 foot version for jedi that never made it into the film. There's a great pic of it in the Lucasfilm archive book

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

How's this?

-MJ

Attachments

• kg_red_5-006b.jpg
    kg_red_5-006b.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 312

Other than the red, I think I'm done paneling. There are a few things I've seen on other models of red five that I couldn't fine on the (very) few pics I have seen of the actual ILM model. If I'm missing anything and anyone wants to point it out...feel free.

One little thing I had never noticed before was that little stripe on the side of the nose cone

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back