1/3 Scale Stormtrooper Helmet

TK 4702

Mini helmets came!

They are resin casted pieces filled with spray foam. I plan on making these look like real lids so I'll have to hollow it out first ...

web.jpg

I filled all the little air bubbles with Bondo ... And started carving the insides out ... The front of the lid was pretty thick ... I just have it started here...

web.jpg

It took forever, but I was able to grind out most of the foam and resin in there. I have the eyes and teeth looking pretty decent (I think). I gave it an under coat for HDPE look... I'm having fun with this one.

web.jpg

As you can see here, I'll have to fix the front tooth a bit... shouldn't be a problem.

web.jpg

Here I have the paint chips all masked off ... I thought about putting in real screws in the ear pieces ... but I can't find them slotted, only Phillips head screws at that size.

web.jpg

I also gave the inside a coat of resin to strengthen it a bit. Once I carved out all the spray-foam... it's was pretty thin, so ...

web.jpg

I decided to spray-paint the mini-lid white ... I'll give it 3-4 days before I touch it again. But the paint is thick enough to cover all that resin grain, that you often get with 3D printed pieces. You do lose some of the sharp edges though. Anyhow, after a few days, I'll paint all the details ... And I'll probably wait another few days for the white to harden up before chipping.

web.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 1/6 Scale Stormtrooper Helmet

Hey guys!

So, I started detailing this guy last night ... As usual I stayed up way too late. But the only time I can get anything done, is when all the girls go to sleep! Anyhow, it's coming along nicely (I think) ... Some cleaning up to do on the brow, and I plan on using a super fine sand paper to make it look duller. Then I'm on to the notches and tube stripes ... Need to find some thin foam to make a maple leaf for this bad boy! And, oh yes... chin straps with snaps! The mic tips will have to be made out of some sort of pipe that I can bevel. I'll probably use a real fine screen mesh for the tips as well. Probably find something in the sink faucet section? I have plenty of lens material ... I'm going all the way people!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

That looks great !..just a thought about the screws..you might find some small counter sunk slotted ones in a model shop that stocks radio controlled stuff...

Cheers

Phil

That looks great !..just a thought about the screws..you might find some small counter sunk slotted ones in a model shop that stocks radio controlled stuff...

Cheers

Phil

I'm actually looking for eyeglass screws. But that might be a good idea too.

I was able to clean up the brow trim some. And started hand painting the tear notches.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Hey gang!

I applied some additional weathering to the mini lid today...
web.jpg

I did a light acrylic wash and rubbed some black crayon on the corners.
web.jpg

More details added
web.jpg

neck trim installed ... I took an old MIDI cable, and split it with an X-acto knife along the one side.
web.jpg

Mini mic tip test
web.jpg

New Dave M helmet details
web.jpg

Lens material installed
web.jpg

Chin straps in progress
web.jpg

A size comparison to a full scale SiMan lid.
web.jpg

web.jpg

THANK YOU MIKE AT TROOPERBAY!!

... For these awesome tube stripe decals! They came in the mail today, and I can't wait to try them out!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Also to come ...

My original 1/3 Scale HOVI Mic Tips are being printed, and ship out 10/10!

A HUGE Thanks to Mark (CFO) for his help in getting me photo reference of his ANH Style Mic Tips ... And to Carsten, for his input ... I couldn't have made this 3D model right without your help!

web.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back