1/18 Firefox

Didn't they crash the real RC version on Hollywood Boulevard???

That is great news because I want it landed next to my JSI 1:18 TOMCAT which I still need to get.

These are my two most favorite jets ever.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would they fly the RC version over Hollywood Blvd? It bears no resemblance to the USSR. An internet search came up with very little on the RC studio prop. The only thing I found was some reference to a "reverse" blue screen while filming the flight scenes.

TazMan2000

Why would they fly the RC version over Hollywood Blvd? It bears no resemblance to the USSR. An internet search came up with very little on the RC studio prop. The only thing I found was some reference to a "reverse" blue screen while filming the flight scenes.

TazMan2000

During testing at the Warner Brothers lot the plane flew out of the range of the RC controller and it crashed right there onto Hollywood Boulevard.

I believe I got this from the DVD.

During testing at the Warner Brothers lot the plane flew out of the range of the RC controller and it crashed right there onto Hollywood Boulevard.

I believe I got this from the DVD.

Does anyone know of what type of engine it had? Also, did this RC version make it to screen?

TazMan2000

From the Cinefex article:

"We eventually cranked out four radio-controlled Firefoxes. We crashed two in testing, and the second pair went to Greenland. These were all one-twelfth scale - 63 inches long, equivalent to 63 feet. There were two basic radio-controlled Fox types - one that was a single engines model that weighed fourteen pounds, and the other a twin engined fifteen pounder."

"We suceeded in getting the planes to fly from the runway at Thule Air base. However, when we took them out to the ice floe, the rough surface of the ice, and gusting winds made it impossible to fly the models - or even to shoot them taxiing due to wiggle." Consequently there is no footage of a radio-controlled Firefox in the film.

Does anyone know of what type of engine it had? Also, did this RC version make it to screen?

TazMan2000

I believe this one was totally destroyed before filming started but I need to watch again, if in fact that was where I heard it.

- - - Updated - - -

From the Cinefex article:

"We eventually cranked out four radio-controlled Firefoxes. We crashed two in testing, and the second pair went to Greenland. These were all one-twelfth scale - 63 inches long, equivalent to 63 feet. There were two basic radio-controlled Fox types - one that was a single engines model that weighed fourteen pounds, and the other a twin engined fifteen pounder."

"We suceeded in getting the planes to fly from the runway at Thule Air base. However, when we took them out to the ice floe, the rough surface of the ice, and gusting winds made it impossible to fly the models - or even to shoot them taxiing due to wiggle." Consequently there is no footage of a radio-controlled Firefox in the film.

How big is this 1/18 model we are drooling over???

I think its about 42-43 inches long according to pictures on Page 3.

So at 42 inches with the actual full scale movie prop being 63 feet, that puts it at exactly 1/18 scale.

TazMan2000

I think its about 42-43 inches long according to pictures on Page 3.

So at 42 inches with the actual full scale movie prop being 63 feet, that puts it at exactly 1/18 scale.

TazMan2000

I can't believe both Blue Thunder choppers were taken apart and sold for scrap. The close shot mock up left to rot. I can't believe someone does not come up with a plan to preserve this stuff.

And I can't believe they, I assume, destroyed the 1/1 Firefox mock up and probably threw it in the trash.

Can you imagine a 63' Life Size Firefox in the middle of ones collection.

My goodness.

Tom

They were going to store the full sized one, but when they were moving it after shooting one of the drive chains broke and it careered into a ditch and broke the front landing gear.

Plus the top of the tailfins need 20ft height clearance!

Last edited:
Yup. 42 inches. Will have more pics this weekend. Still cleaning up the panel lines. Ive permanetly joined the two forward fuselage parts and got a quick coat of primer. Now cleaning up the large rear part. Should have some primer on it by friday.

I can't believe both Blue Thunder choppers were taken apart and sold for scrap. The close shot mock up left to rot. I can't believe someone does not come up with a plan to preserve this stuff.

And I can't believe they, I assume, destroyed the 1/1 Firefox mock up and probably threw it in the trash.

Can you imagine a 63' Life Size Firefox in the middle of ones collection.

My goodness.

Tom

Even though this one was wrecked in a ditch, I don't think there would be a lot of people who would be interested in purchasing a mock-up of this aircraft. At 63 feet, you would have to have a very big place in order to display it. Not only that, the transportation costs would be astronomical. Probably two 80 foot trailers (one to hold the fuselage and the other the wings...if the wings would be able to come off) and a crane. The same goes for a lot of aircraft Hollywood makes.
There are probably a lot of offers, but few serious ones and who has the time to weed through that. I think a few of these large props managed to get into hands of collectors, but I would think that this would be a rarity. They builders would have to store the props for a while until post production and then eventual release of the movie (maybe months later) hope that the movie isn't a stinker, and then if it isn't, start entertaining offers. If the movie ends up sucking eggs, then you just paid hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars in storage fees, that you can't recoup.

TazMan2000

What Taz said. Movie companies aren't interested even for things that are practically guaranteed to sell, like say the ESB Falcon sets and mockup - Star Wars was a huge hit, it was a safe bet that Empire would at least do *reasonable* business, but the production was 2 years in all and a lot of that was post-prod, so you'd have the thing sitting around for quite a long time. Would you find a buyer willing to pay a price high enough to warrant the storage? At the time, *that* wouldn't have looked like a good bet. Even for a film as big as that. And then there's the issue that even if you made money on the deal, it'd be a pittance compared to the film's revenues. We are emotionally attached to this stuff but film execs aren't...

Yep, you guys are all correct but that is what I am saying.

Some crazy guy convinced a group of people to try, what had to sound like the dumbest idea in history. "We are going to set up a company that mails DVDs to people's homes. I know, they have a video store just down the street but this will work."

I would have asked him what he was smoking and unlike most people I actually do like out of the box thinking.

How incredible would it have been for all these cult shows, like Blue Thunder where they know it's popular since they had kept the mock up, to be given to someone to preserve in a museum. Or just a really big empty hanger.

They knew Firefly had a huge following or they would not have made the film and they literally tossed the mule on a garbage heap. Some fan would have paid to come get it, sign a million waivers for liability, etc. After Jedi don't tell me some fan would not have paid to take the Falcon parts versus them going to the scrap yard.

I know there are a million reasons they don't try to preserve this stuff but it's incredibly wasteful, environmentally unfriendly, and like the guy who pitched Netflix there is a better way.

Anyway just breaks my heart.

Back on topic.

Holy Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 42 inches. Incredible. Can't wait.

One of my favorite Clint Eastwood movies.....I love ,what you guys,are doing with this Firefox !!! Wow....wish it was around 22 inches....I loovvvee it , just don't have the room for something that big now

One of my favorite Clint Eastwood movies.....I love ,what you guys,are doing with this Firefox !!! Wow....wish it was around 22 inches....I loovvvee it , just don't have the room for something that big now

Well 22" is, first Evil. Second I don't think it will look good at 22" next to your F-14. Hello!!! Think about this bad boy next to the other world's coolest jet.

Oh,..by the way, "I don't have room" is not an acceptable excuse at RPF.

Tom

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back