1/144 Blockade Runner scratch build

Thanks, everyone. Special thanks to kermet and joberg. joberg, I am really sorry you have to dismantle the space station. It looked amazing. The consolation is that it will live on in our collective memories and digital pictures archived on this site.

Last edited:
These past few weeks, I have been fussing with assembling the whole model. Putting in the optical fibers, rigging up the lights, and supergluing stuff. I also painted on the red stripes and paint chipped them. Thank you, Analyzer for the Tamiya hull red paint suggestion. 33% that + 66% flat red + 5% flat white got me the color I kinda wanted. It is almost right, but I think if I am to make another block runner, I would go with 25% hull red + 75% flat red + 15% flat white. Its always hard to experiment on a model this big...

The next and final step is weathering. I hope to get 90% of that done in the next 3 weeks, and finish up the remaining 10% in the next 3 years.

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG

Great build!

I hadn't seen your thread before. Really liked your use of the '60s Man From Uncle silhouette for scale on the 1/7/21 photo post. LOL

Thanks, ekf5 and skahtul. The similarity to uncle is coincidental though... but now that you mentioned it, I cant unsee it! This is the sister build to a hammerhead corvette I scratch built earlier. If you are interested, here is the link:

Bauble...thanks for the praises concerning my 2001 Space Station;) And yes, I have plenty of pics and videos of that model to remember it forever.
As for your Blockade Runner; the details, the paint and the overall look is dead on!! The result shows your level of skills and dedication: Pro-Job all the way(y)(y):cool::cool:

Such a fantastic job on this! Wow! If enough of us ever get together to film a re-enactment of New Hope and Rouge One... Be prepared! :cool:

“This one part reminds me of the engine deck part behind the cockpit from the U-WIng”

That is because it is! I think It is a very visually appealing greeblie. Like the panzer tank ventilation panel.

I took it from a Bandai u wing kit.

“This one part reminds me of the engine deck part behind the cockpit from the U-WIng”

That is because it is! I think It is a very visually appealing greeblie. Like the panzer tank ventilation panel.

I took it from a Bandai u wing kit.

It works out perfectly!

I was not sure if that was a part on the original and if the U-Wing designers had taken that greeblie part from the blockade runner

Either way it looks great on there

I keep looking at these two large scratch built hammerhead designs. Incredible, crisp detail is flawless. Survives even the close, high quality photographs you so bravely posted.

It reminds me to stay safe. Only issue construction in progress pictures from my I-phone.

Thanks, Searun and Josh! At this stage of the weathering, I do use a lot of closeup photos to help me find flaws that I need to fix. The photos help me focus and look at each area objectively. I can then mark things up and go back to the model and fix things. Here is an example photo that has been marked up, so that I can do corrections on the model.

Coffee stain effect is quite common at this stage for me. I think it makes the model look off-scale, so I generally want to go over the areas with airbrush to soften the sharp transitions. Areas that are too monochrome need to have a secondary color pin-painted in to improve vibrancy. The rest of the annotations are hopefully self-explanatory.
280BB6A7-6CDB-46DD-BABD-7AE85A7B0659.jpeg

I checked my greeblies inventory today and found that I have bought 5 1/144 milli falcon over the past few years. I get them whenever I see them going for cheap on ebay. All of them have missing parts that went into my two builds. So non of the kits are complete. In all these time, I have not ever built a complete falcon!

5A050D6F-A0D2-4F1A-A0FA-CB69D02A4746.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, J, T and M. I took my time on this blockade runner, not really caring when i finish. Just focusing on one area at a time. Toadmeister, if you take you time, I am sure you will be able to get this done too. Dont worry about spending large blocks of time at the bench. I just do15 mins of building at a stretch before other things in life grab me away. Here are the casted greeblies I made for the project. Again, it took me 15 mins at a stretch over many periods to get them done.
View attachment 1382661
And I thought I had a greeble collection

NICE. That's awesome. And looks properly scaled, too. The computer animated one in Rise of Skywalker was waaaaay too small. :rolleyes:
It was definitely smaller than it had been depicted before but the one at the base in ROS was a real set piece. I got to visit it and it was the most mind blowing thing I've ever seen. It was like standing under an Boeing 747. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back