1/144 Blockade Runner scratch build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Bauble

Hi everyone. I have been working on a blockade runner during this pandemic. I wanted it to be a partner to the 1/144 Hammerhead Corvette I scratch built last year. I thought they would look nice together on top of my wife's piano. I have not been able to convince her to let me put a plywood plank on her piano to serve as a shelf yet, but I will keep trying. After all, who wouldn't want to gaze on SW models when they are playing piano?

Here is my Hammerhead Corvette link:

Here is a quick picture of where I am at with the Blockade Runner today.

IMG_0942.JPG

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

monsterpartyhat

I think the key here is going to be to design some nice stands for them that can be finished in a matching piano black finish (assuming it's a black piano, anyway) -- make the stands blend in with the piano's style and you might have a chance :lol: :)

Toadmeister

Sr Member
Just damn.....

The Corvette In a “manly scale” is on my bucket list. I don’t think I’d have the fortitude to scratchbuild. As I get older I just can’t work in fine detail over a workbench like I used to.

I will probably try my hand at a 3D printed version in 1/144 some day. Maybe do a little scratch work for finer items.

Bauble

Thanks, J, T and M. I took my time on this blockade runner, not really caring when i finish. Just focusing on one area at a time. Toadmeister, if you take you time, I am sure you will be able to get this done too. Dont worry about spending large blocks of time at the bench. I just do15 mins of building at a stretch before other things in life grab me away. Here are the casted greeblies I made for the project. Again, it took me 15 mins at a stretch over many periods to get them done.
802FA000-5C48-4B78-AB87-CBB3FB48521F.jpeg

Bauble

Thanks, Boba. Monster, you are very good at id’ing greeblies. I airbrushed it a couple of days ago. I had to smooth out a few burrs, but mostly, it came out ok. Here is a picture.

Also attached a picture of another part with lots of greeblies - Monster, have fun! I used resin casted pieces for most parts. Mold Star 30 and Smooth-Cast 305 were used. I wasnt able to find a good mold release agent, so the molds break after about 5 castings. But, my goodness, the casted parts were sharp and good. If anyone has a good release agent suggestion, I would love to know.

7F908908-7D2F-454F-95B4-B2389614067E.jpeg
D60AA3B9-5A94-44EC-9304-1885BA686484.jpeg
0FFC21F9-7066-481E-B81B-A2D1638A1FD9.jpeg

joberg

Master Member
Very sharp pieces and the greeblies arrangement is very life-like; i.e. it's seems that they serve a very defined purpose (y) (y) :cool::cool: