1/144 Hammerhead Corvette scratch build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Bauble

Hi, everyone. I had a build thread a year ago at Keeper of the Force on this project. I thought I would move some of the pictures over here and add a few more.

IMG_0458.jpeg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Bauble

I wasn't completely happy with the exhausts. So I decided to rebuild them. The rebuilt exhausts were completed ~ Mar 2020 and I gave them some discoloration with alclad. I sat on them for a while and decided I need to push the shine back with flat black. But, I got busy with my blockade runner scratchbuild and did not finish the push back till last week. Finally mostly happy with the model now. I still want to do 2 spots of oil streaks with oil paint. But not sure when I will get around to it.
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_1850.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg
IMG_1862.jpg

Bauble

Project started in Jan 2019. Mostly finished by Mar 2020. I used a lot of Bandai parts for greeblies. Plus a number of aircrafts, tanks and ships parts. I did this before I learn how to resin cast greeblies. The styrene pieces were mostly hand-cut. A lot of time I would cut and do a dry fit, and do an iterative trim so that the panels are well lined up. I used different styrene thickness so that the panels are uneven - this adds additional dimensions to the model. It was tedious though. I got a silhouette finally in Apr 2020 and used it to cut the pieces for the exhausts. I found the silhouette to be really helpful when you have a lot of identical and tiny pieces to cut.
A lot of the curved surfaces were made by soaking the styrene in hot water.
I found sanding of the styrene edges to be crucial if I want to avoid burr. Even with all the care I took, I still found a few edges with burr during the priming process. I ended up doing a rough prime for each edge to check for burr, removing the prime, and repriming.
I found patience to be helpful but the correct frame of mind to be even more helpful for this big project. I stayed with each piece or area for days and weeks, and solely focus on my immediate work task and forget about the rest of the build. By doing this, I can derive much pleasure out of what I am doing and avoid the anxiety about the size of the build.

EffeteDenizen

Wow that's a beautiful ship! I love the extra details inside the bridge, do you have an interior shot?

I need to learn from you and break my models down into individual tasks.

monsterpartyhat

I loved following this on KOTF and I'm happy to see it again! The hammerhead corvette is one of my favorite ships in all of Star Wars. You mentioned a blockade runner scratch-build -- is that at the same scale? That would make a hell of a pair with this one.