1/1000 NX-0002

Gregatron

Master Member
This is a project I’ve had on my mind for a long time. Finally started working on it.

I’m a big STAR TREK fan, a big comic book fan, and a big John Byrne fan. I think his licensed TREK comics by IDW are top-notch. I particularly enjoyed his CREW (2009) minseries, which detailed the early career of Number One, a decade before “The Cage”. In the first issue of the series, young Cadet One found herself in a bit of trouble aboard the shakedown cruise of an uncommissioned Constitution class starship, the second to be constructed. Of course, this ship would go on to be the U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701.

For all intents and purposes, this (non-canon) story represents the very first appearance of the Enterprise and its very first adventure. The thing which really intrigued me, though, was Byrne’s depiction of the brand-new, slightly unfinished ship. He began with the first pilot version of the ship, and worked backwards to create a slightly less-refined version:

*A bare-metal, unpainted hull, with visible paneling (akin to TOS Remastered, but not TOS proper).

*No livery or markings, aside from the temporary “NX-0002” registry on each nacelle.

*Clunky, much more detailed intercoolers on the nacelles.

*Clunky, much more detailed reactor loops and inner nacelle trench detailing.

*One long vent structure on each inboard nacelle pylon, instead of the familiar four vents.

*Rear nacelle endcaps with panels removed, revealing exposed inner workings.

*An inset area of greeblies within the B/C housing on top of the saucer.

Inspired by OTOY choosing to model this iteration (along with numerous others) for the Roddenberry Foundation, I’ve begun preliminary modeling work on drop-in replacement parts for the 1/1000 Polar Lights model. I built a simple replica of the TOS intercooler design (which was also reused for the reactor loops and incorporated into the inboard nacelle trench greeblies), and then began working to reverse-engineer it into a more primitive version.

Byrne’s artwork for these areas is vague and inconsistent from panel to panel. Just lots of layered horizontal shapes and bits of detail, as is his style for drawing complex tech. Reminiscent of Jack Kirby’s tech. As a result, I’ve had to make up most of the detailing myself, while still keeping the general feel of the artwork in mind.

Down the road, once the parts are finalized and 3D-printed, the model with be masked with a panel pattern and painted in metallic shades. While ENTERPRISE is not a show I like to think of as canon pre-TOS, this design does present an opportunity to link the “naked” NCC-1701 with the look of the NX-01-era ships.

B938F3CC-0644-4020-9905-CB907938F2B1.jpeg
6AB2DC38-39AD-4EBB-9E07-DE16BE048DAB.jpeg
E057A4C4-9A6D-4182-BBFC-1D270F0EE98D.jpeg
9CD4B1A7-4771-4213-9E7E-26C141054275.jpeg
36EAA0B2-3F7E-421E-9972-5D5CCE00C623.jpeg

Last edited:
More tweaks. Trying to find the right balance of detailing. How much is TOO much?

The goal here is to present a clunkier version of the design we know, while also indicating how it could be stripped down and refined as the ship gets refitted over time. Hence the basic shape of the TOS reactor loop being integrated into it. You can see the basic forms being refined into what we know from TOS as the technology improves. Sleeker and cleaner, but still the same basic idea.

23001829-C8FA-404E-9181-29FD5E1FB894.png
B6BBDBBB-94BC-4CFA-B7FF-933F2210F9D5.png

Working on the guts of the nacelle endcap. Using Byrne’s artwork as a guide, I created a multi-layered sandwich of shapes. And, taking a bit of artistic license, I also mounted a tubular “firing chamber” behind the angled “X” structure to create added depth and dimensionality. Still working out the detailing, but I’m very pleased, thus far.

I also created a basic model of the outer nacelle endcap itself, based on the Polar Lights kit part’s dimensions. I’m now wondering if I should go all the way and add the ribbing, or just use the stock kit endcaps with holes cut into them to reveal the new detail parts.

IMG_1537.png
IMG_1538.png
IMG_1532.png
IMG_1533.png

Outstanding. I had no idea OTOY had anything of Byrne’s

The detached panel at the aft of the nacelle made me think “racing stripe” at first.

Been thinking about the engineering logistics of installing the endcap inserts. Adding the ribbing to the outer endcap reproduction is proving too much for my modeling program to handle.

It would be too small and too tricky to precisely cut out the holes in the stock kit endcaps to reveal the guts. Therefore, I’m thinking that if I enlarge the holes in the kit’s production-style endcaps (highlighted in blue below), and bulld the outer S-curve shape into the guts part, then I can fill and sand the two parts flush.

IMG_1544.png
IMG_1545.png

OTOY is replicating a whole bunch of variants in CG, from TAS fo PHASE II concepts to comic books to novel covers.
View attachment 1703461
The Swan of Many Rivers-A Multiversal History of the Enterprise….

Thanks in advance for omitting the spikes.
Now, one OTOY bridge was shiny, silver and featureless almost—perfect for a fan ship called the Metaluna..after “This Island Earth.”

Now there—the spikes work.

I love these retro-prise attempts

Last edited:
As depicted in the artwork, there are also extra detail pieces on the rear edges of the nacelle pylons, and, instead of four vents on each inboard pylon, just one long, undefined strip. I’ve replicated these, and also based the inboard pylon vents off of the ones on the inboard nacelle trenches, for stylistic consistency.

IMG_1546.png

I think I’m about ready to send these off to be printed.

IMG_1547.png
IMG_1549.png

Okay, I sent the parts off to be printed in Shapeways’ Fine Detail Plastic.

While I wait for the parts to arrive, I can get to work on assembling and preparing/modifying the model to receive them. The parts should pretty much just drop right in. The only ones which worry me are the nacelle trench inserts. We’ll see.

In the meantime, I also need to get some hull plating paint masks.

That is just outstanding work.

One thing I wish someone would do would be an insert to round of the AMT 1/650's forward B/C deck.

I've seen replacements for the whole assembly and such---but a simple rounded bit might also incorporate the work you have done on Byrne's ship.

The wonderful OTOY chart above---the one in the far left-hand bottom corner looks like a John Berkey design. I'm not familiar with that one.

Last edited:
This is a project I’ve had on my mind for a long time. Finally started working on it.

Byrne’s artwork for these areas is vague and inconsistent from panel to panel. Just lots of layered horizontal shapes and bits of detail, as is his style for drawing complex tech. Reminiscent of Jack Kirby’s tech. As a result, I’ve had to make up most of the detailing myself, while still keeping the general feel of the artwork in mind.
View attachment 1702253
I like the back of the B/C deck there

The B/C deck is inconsistent from panel to panel. There's sometimes an indication of something similar to the fore/aft/port/starboard spotlight housings on the Refit's lower saucer dome. Sometimes not.

I decided to just go with the forward structure only. Not sure what it's supposed to be (Spotlight? Torpedo tubes? Sensors?), but it's a neat detail.

I'm also planning on using the stickers (not the waterslide decals) which come with the 1/1000 kit as paint masks for all of the hatches and technical markings (on the underside of the secondary hull, etc.).

By having them painted on the model in metallics, it will indicate the presence of the unfinished ship's bare-metal, unpainted hatches. Before the gray hull-paint/livery/technical striping was added on.

I'm also planning on using the stickers (not the waterslide decals) which come with the 1/1000 kit as paint masks for all of the hatches and technical markings (on the underside of the secondary hull, etc.).

By having them painted on the model in metallics, it will indicate the presence of the unfinished ship's bare-metal, unpainted hatches. Before the gray hull-paint/livery/technical striping was added on.
I was wondering if you were planning on doing an initial base layer in metallic, followed by a second one (dry brushed or otherwise "textured") to give the metal a look like this:

Birth of a legend pic.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back