1:1 T-Rex Skull Build (advice needed)

bbranit

I am about halfway through my build of a full size T-Rex skull. I set out to make an accurate sculpt of the "Sue" T-Rex in the Field Museum, Chicago after watching the documentary, "Dinosaur 12", and seeing Adam Savage's cast of said skull. But then I found some better references and decided to opt for a more aggressive look over accuracy.

My method has been cardboard structure covered with expanding foam and carving it back. There will be a time lapse of the complete build. It's great so far.

Some Pictures of the progress:

Photo Jan 14, 6 57 58 PM.jpgPhoto Jan 14, 7 12 43 PM.jpgPhoto Jan 27, 4 51 40 PM.jpgPhoto Jan 27, 4 51 51 PM.jpg

I am nearing the end of my rough sculpt and could use some advice on the finish. I want to find a way to coat or spackle this to fill in the gaps (most of them at least) and leave a finish I can do some fine carving with a Dremmel and sanding. Any suggestions?

The final finish will be a dark black/bronze look like most museum pieces.

Bruce

Attachments

• Photo Jan 27, 4 51 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 27, 4 51 40 PM.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 224
  • Photo Jan 27, 4 51 51 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 27, 4 51 51 PM.jpg
    990.3 KB · Views: 239
Bondo seems to be the go-to for these kinds of things after the foam, but that's only from what I've seen from other builds; I personally have never used the stuff. It's far too intimidating for me.:lol

Should I ever do a skull myself, I would look into something like and epoxy coating on the surface or something, just to keep the weight down.

I'll probably steer clear from Bondo.

When starting, I was actually thinking paper-mache, but I've moved beyond that.

I've read on other threads about poly-urethane coating, but don't know what product that would specifically be.

I'm going to recommend smooth on free-form air. Look it up and see if you would like it. It's pretty easy to use. It's a tad more expensive then bondo, They sell gallon kits of it through Reynolds and it runs around $90 shipped. Just a thought!

-Tony

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, the sculpt is looking fantastic!

I'm going to recommend smooth on free-form air. Look it up and see if you would like it. It's pretty easy to use. It's a tad more expensive then bondo, They sell gallon kits of it through Reynolds and it runs around $90 shipped. Just a thought!

-Tony

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, the sculpt is looking fantastic!

I use that for my mother molds, it would be a good product to look at. They have a few varieties of it now, and I think one may be used to sculpt with.

Free Form Habitat is going to be a slightly better option. It has a longer working time than Free Form Air, and holds detail a little better IMO. Also pick up the folding powder. It makes the epoxy less sticky and lets it hold a vertical a lot better. If not epoxy putty, go Bondo.

Last edited:
Free Form Habitat is going to be a slightly better option. It has a longer working time than Free Form Air, and holds detail a little better IMO. Also pick up the folding powder. It makes the epoxy less sticky and lets it hold a vertical a lot better. If not epoxy putty, go Bondo.

Looks like I will go with the Habitat. Is the final workable, cured surface similar to bondo or a softer, carve-able foam?

Assuming the photos I posted are 5' nose to nape. 3' wide and about 4' tall is there any chance a gallon would cover this and fill gaps, thinly applied?

A gallon may be enough if all you want to do is fill gaps and cover it in a thin layer, but if you want to sculpt into it, I wonder if it would crack or chip being so thin? I have only ever used it as a mother mold.

I'd try to sculpt as much as you can into it as you worked, but it's absolutely machinable after it cures. Bondo is a little softer than the epoxy, which I prefer for doing fine details with files and dremels.

So the scale of this is messing with me. I want to keep it lightweight for hanging and for the jaw attachment/support.

I think the habitat is going to be a little to putty-like. Is there a foam I could trowel into the gaps. I'm wishing I could use more of the expending foam but it just collapses when you try to work it.

Any ideas?

I can't say for sure about the Free Form Habitat, but the regular Free Form Air is very light, I would guess the Habitat stuff is too.

Hi
In my experience of making these, any original piece is going to end up weighing a lot just due to its size and volume, I've just built one myself, I used clay, and the only option I had was to cast it using silicone rubber so I ended up with a lightweight polyester resin cast - just a thought. Detail wise, plaster of paris is superb for carving, you can easily achieve the variety of bone textures with it quite easily and inexpensively. A smearing of bondo also works, with just a couple of passes with some sandpaper, gives a superb texture also. Superb work by the way, beautiful texture.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back