1:1 Slimer (Ghostbusters 1)

Digitizit

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This has been a WIP for a while now. It's one of those projects I come and go on. It's too cool to rush and screw up! At least that's my excuse.

20150625_215217 on Flickr

Slimer was cast from a mold that used to belong to Steve Johnson's XFX shop. Steve sculpted Slimer (as well as several other ghosts) for Ghostbusters. This came from his molds, so it's about as close to screen used as you can get (the Slimer on screen was a foam latex costume). He is rotocast resin and (was) hollow. When he arrived, his arms, teeth and gums, and tongue were not attached. He arms didn't match the body cleanly, parts of him were paper thin and he had a big depression in the top of his head... it was a project to say the least! I filled him with rigid foam, attached his arms and sculpted fat folds and skin texture, sculpted some on his gums and part of his head.

Flash forward about a year. I've nearly finished painting him (all but the eyes... I really struggle with eyes) and I'm now working on the base (you can see the unpainted base in the photo above).

I decided to carve the no ghost logo on my CNC machine versus using a giant sticker or trying to redraw it myself (that would have been a "nailed it" moment for sure).

Cutting my Ghostbusters logo
on Flickr

Carving in progress. Carved out of MDF. It took about an hour to cut out.

Raw cut of my Ghostbusters logo.
on Flickr

This first one was suppose to be just a test, but I think I can get it cleaned up enough that I will actually use it. Besides, Slimer's big butt will be about 8" above it, so it will hide most of it anyway. The giant hole in the middle is where the support for the pipe attaches to the base and where the pipe comes up. I'm thinking I may put a ghost trap over this and around the pipe, but I may have to get a longer pipe to do that.

No Ghost Ghostbusters logo for my Slimer display.
on Flickr

One of these days I'l get around to Slimer's eyes. That will be the last thing I do.

wow you're lucky to have this slimer!
i've been wanting a rough cast of this same sculpt for a couple years now.

he's coming out great!

you should practice painting your eye's on big wooden beads until you get good at it.
but i suppose you could always cheat and water decal them!

DUDE!
I have one of these Slimers as well (did you have as much "fun" inserting the roof of the mouth as I did?) and your base is the bee's knees
How can I get one? I was planning on making a lit ghost trap shining up as on my base but this is so much better

here's the current state of my slimer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2F1ti8ajas

DUDE!
I have one of these Slimers as well (did you have as much "fun" inserting the roof of the mouth as I did?) and your base is the bee's knees
How can I get one? I was planning on making a lit ghost trap shining up as on my base but this is so much better

The mouth was a special kind of torture, yes. I foam filled mine with 3 lb rigid foam, and then filled in gaps with epoxy putty. The roof wasn't as bad for me, it was the lower teeth that were a nightmare. I see all the things I missed, but I think most people who come into my office and see him won't see those. If they do, I'll tell them to leave! :p Nice work on yours! It's always nice to meet someone else who has suffered similar experiences!

As for the base, the construction is painfully simple. It's 2' square. The logo goes on top of that with the pole supporting Slimer dead center. I cut the logo out of MDF. I was thinking of posting an interest thread to see if anybody wanted the logo. The MDF was about $10, so I think I would sell them for maybe $20 or $25? Honestly, I don't have a clue. I'm not into it for making money. It's just a lot of fun and gives me a chance to be a little creative!

25 sounds like a steal (depending on how much the postage ends up being) put me down for one!

I've got mine on a 24" circle blank I picked up at Lowe's (then I put wheels on it) but I've got the same center pipe w/ fittings.

could you check to see if the logo would fit inside a 24" circle? how much of a pain would it be to scale down to fit?

cheers,
Lou
PS, oddly enough, I think my lower choppers went in place the easiest of any of the parts. and tell me, were your arms fully resined? I hand a big chunk of the right hand that was only done in the solid foam with no skin of resin at all.

25 sounds like a steal (depending on how much the postage ends up being) put me down for one!

I don't imagine shipping would be a lot. I'll weigh mine and get a ballpark figure

could you check to see if the logo would fit inside a 24" circle? how much of a pain would it be to scale down to fit?

I can make these any size, up to about 40". 40" is my maximum cut size (until I have a larger space to work in :p).

were your arms fully resined?

I definitely had some bare foam spots on the arms. It wasn't horrible, but it was there. The arms and hands had some paper thin resin spots! I injected some resin into the finger tips to strengthen them up.

I'll wait to hear your results on the postage.

I'll measure the center flange on mine and ask you to cut that out as well.

I didn't think of injecting epoxy. I used a very thin coat of bondo I was afraid anything stronger would melt the foam.

I've put in a little more work on my display. I've not had a lot of time, but what else is new, right? I managed to get the logo attached to the base using #4, 3/4" screws. Lots of them!

For my next trick, I'm 3D printing and CNCing parts for the ghost trap which will hide most of the pole that supports Slimer.

20160214_160321(0) (2016-02-14T21_26_01.132).jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back