1:1 R2D2 building from scratch - Just about done!

please take me with you, the UK SUCKS!

also this has been without question my favourite thread and most inspiring to get off my ass and do something. seriously well done dude.

I am just about to start my R2 unit and have bought the same dome (IKEA Shade) can I ask if you have carried out the build as 1:1 or have you scaled down slightly as the dome is 450mm not 463.55mm from the CS-R plans taken from Astromech. I was thinking of using a scaling factor of about 0.9748 to adjust all measurments:behave

I am just about to start my R2 unit and have bought the same dome (IKEA Shade) can I ask if you have carried out the build as 1:1 or have you scaled down slightly as the dome is 450mm not 463.55mm from the CS-R plans taken from Astromech. I was thinking of using a scaling factor of about 0.9748 to adjust all measurments:behave

check out astromech.net, there is a lot of information on there. including blue prints

check out astromech.net, there is a lot of information on there. including blue prints
i have checked out astromech, that is where I got all the blueprint from, but my question was related to whether or not the build was scaled to fit the 450mm IKEA dome as it is SMALLER that the club spec or if it was built to 1:1 scale, if so what measurements were used to fit the dome to the body

i have checked out astromech, that is where I got all the blueprint from, but my question was related to whether or not the build was scaled to fit the 450mm IKEA dome as it is SMALLER that the club spec or if it was built to 1:1 scale, if so what measurements were used to fit the dome to the body

I can't answer your question directly but check out this thread it argues against using it for various reasons.

http://astromech.net/forums/showthr...-Any-Blueprints-R2D2&highlight=Ikea+lampshade

I'm not saying anything against the OP here as he has done a decent job with this but it depends what build your going for. Me personally I'm using the laser cut styrene dome.

Apologies if you have seen this thread already, good luck.

P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good work, but the dome kills it.

I built my own styrene R2 from the club plans and when it come's to the dome there just is no cheat. You have to buy the accurate laser cut styrene dome or mortgage you house and buy the ally one. I've seen some builders find plastic bird baths and even Ikea lamps, but it never looks right.

The dome is so critical to the build, you've done an awesome job, but the dome let's it down.

I'm not being critical, just honest in my opinion

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back