1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hello? Is anyone home? Miss ya, buddy. Hope you're hanging in there with all of "this".

Hey K,

I KNOW I KNOW... I've been slacking. Between work, the shop and everything in between I knew it was a matter of time before something fell through the cracks. I'll get back at it! I promise!

You guys/gals keep me centered and focused! ;)

He's got a recent video up on YouTube, might have just gotten out of the habit of posting here right after.

Hey LTW,

I did get out of the habit. Bad me. As I explained above somethings have fallen through the cracks. I'm still working to get time on the CNC to cut the full scale nav computer but C-19 has brought all that to a halt... UGH! But we'll get there.

Hi Gang,

Shame on me... AGAIN! Every single one of you guy/gals have a been huge supporters all these years and I failed to post anything over the last few months. No excuses...

So let's get right to it! The past few months have been hectic at best but I am still marching forward with the YT-300 build. Much of my focus has been on creating videos - which can be very exhausting at times. When the YT is finished I am moving onto the full scale Nav Computer to partner up with my very lonely full scale nav chair and chess table. I'm really excited to get back started on the full scale builds.

Anywho... here are the latest images of the YT-300! ENJOY!

I designed and laser cut a massive amount of greeblies
IMG_20200216_084040_zpsbjmoo18f.jpg

IMG_20200216_084046_zpsqhbpqvh0.jpg

IMG_20200216_084100_zps68frhfjq.jpg

IMG_20200216_084107_zps0kdvrd6e.jpg

IMG_20200216_084113_zpslinysako.jpg

IMG_20200216_084122_zps4sgtcokc.jpg

IMG_20200216_084142_zpstifilvqb.jpg

IMG_20200216_100541_zps4smg3ida.jpg

IMG_20200216_100553_zpskphabvnv.jpg

IMG_20200216_130902_zpshzaqckfq.jpg

WHOA look at that piece of styrene pulling away from the body! I think I fixed it...
IMG_20200222_111341_zpseyixw50r.jpg

IMG_20200222_111356_zpsvms3wbhu.jpg

IMG_20200222_114333_zpsja0yqol9.jpg

IMG_20200222_114336_zpsokzojudd.jpg

I settled on this color scheme. This is only primer but I really like it!
IMG_20200222_134639_zps8o1kqe3n.jpg

IMG_20200222_134700_zps2qvg8zei.jpg

Latest Vids:
Episode 26

Episode 27

Again... I am so sorry for the lack of... anything. I hope you all stay with me and enjoy the project(s). More important, I hope you are being smart and safe during these tough times!

Another post / update coming in a few minutes! :)

Love you all!

Last edited:
Hi Gang,

Another quick YT-300 update. I hope you enjoy it!

I made this cool greeblie to fill a large empty section of the main body
IMG_20200328_120958_zpsttf5htcw.jpg

The shape is about 5-6 inches long and is made from styrene and Evergreen plastic piping
IMG_20200328_121022_zpshx7uhfkg.jpg

IMG_20200328_121029_zpsmrsdyqyi.jpg

IMG_20200328_121319_zpsvhuin9i1.jpg

The build has been so much fun!
IMG_20200328_121328_zpsseemz6f9.jpg

But even I have to admit... all these greeblies began to get to me. It seemed like it NEVER ended!
IMG_20200328_121334_zpsatz9yu3w.jpg

IMG_20200328_121340_zpsmsw8xgpz.jpg

IMG_20200328_121403_zps4nrnlgmu.jpg

Added a bit more detail and piping
IMG_20200328_135547_zpsukymrk2c.jpg

I included several 1/32 scale tank model parts as well
IMG_20200328_135554_zpsdhftaxm9.jpg

IMG_20200328_135604_zpsp5yeaabg.jpg

IMG_20200328_135641_zpsh7swzsto.jpg

IMG_20200330_063053_zpsp1ouz88z.jpg

IMG_20200330_063111_zpsjmfoiluh.jpg

Slowly coming together
IMG_20200330_063130_zpsaxamgdjs.jpg

IMG_20200330_063142_zpsxa73ikwz.jpg

Detail / greeblie work then moved over to the main window
IMG_20200404_083909_zpsbptspyic.jpg

IMG_20200404_090106_zpsmhbxj1sj.jpg

IMG_20200404_090113_zpsbzr6mvft.jpg

Lots of forward progress made!
IMG_20200404_144444_zpssy1mqqmr.jpg

I am so sorry for the lack of posts, gang! I should be flogged... ;)

Ok, double posting doesn't count as an additional post :lol:!

Glad to see you back. As much as I love the YT-300 build, I'm looking forward to you getting back to full size stuff.

Ok, double posting doesn't count as an additional post :lol:!

Glad to see you back. As much as I love the YT-300 build, I'm looking forward to you getting back to full size stuff.

UGHHHH What happened! I didn't mean to double post...

OK... all fixed! ;)

Last edited:
What was your main reason to do this model? Was it so you could just build without having to check and match reference?

Hey LTW,

Sorry for the late response. I have to check my settings - I'm not getting any email notifications. hmmmm...

The best way I can answer that question is that I was getting tired of the MF cockpit in general - 7-8 years is a LONG time for a single project. As much fun as it was/is to work on I needed a break. I'm still working the full scale (even though its in Dallas), I started a 1/4 scale version (that I hope to finish), I began a 1/12th version that went nowhere and then put a LOT of effort into a 1/6th scale version of the cockpit with Izzy - which we have kits for both the console, the nav computer and cockpit itself. All that effort ultimately lead to burn out.

So... I needed something to break up the monotony. So why not create something different but familiar that nobody has ever done. And yes, you are correct, it was my own design and I could be free with that entire design and not be hindered by screen accuracy. And it has been a LOT of fun! BUT... I DEF want to get back to building full scale props. The CNC is now available and I am working like mad to finish up the YT-300.

Hope that made sense?

Hey SofaKing. I decided to check out your thread for the first time starting with post one and I am absolutely awestruck. I can't stop looking through each page (Eventually I'll just get through all 540+), but I can't help but find each part you've acquired!

I recently discovered someone is selling the pedestal engine ctrl assbly for 100$ and I am soooo tempted to get it. I also found the cole harsee toggle switches you are using. Of course, I don't ever-think i'd want to tackle a project this big, but I do want to create the hyperspace lever console.

Thank you for all of your years of dedication to give people like me pure excitement.

Last edited:
Hey SofaKing. I decided to check out your thread for the first time starting with post one and I am absolutely awestruck. I can't stop looking through each page (Eventually I'll just get through all 540+), but I can't help but find each part you've acquired!

I recently discovered someone is selling the pedestal engine ctrl assbly for 100$ and I am soooo tempted to get it. I also found the cole harsee toggle switches you are using. Of course, I don't ever-think i'd want to tackle a project this big, but I do want to create the hyperspace lever console.

Thank you for all of your years of dedication to give people like me pure excitement.

Hey HS!

Thanks for taking the time to read every page - kudos to you!

Dont let the size of any project intimidate you. The fact you want to jump in is awesome! I originally used the Piper control only for the fact that it was a lever assembly. I didn't really have to do anything other than find similar looking main throttle tips and then find a way to mount it. Once I decided to go screen accurate, I abandoned the Piper controls and completely changed course. The trim pieces around the levers are the items in question. We have NO IDEA what they are.

I can help with dimensions of the throttle housing if you would like. Fortunately, there that many pieces on the throttle housing - depending on which version you're going to create.

What housing are you most interested?

Hey HS!

Thanks for taking the time to read every page - kudos to you!

Dont let the size of any project intimidate you. The fact you want to jump in is awesome! I originally used the Piper control only for the fact that it was a lever assembly. I didn't really have to do anything other than find similar looking main throttle tips and then find a way to mount it. Once I decided to go screen accurate, I abandoned the Piper controls and completely changed course. The trim pieces around the levers are the items in question. We have NO IDEA what they are.

I can help with dimensions of the throttle housing if you would like. Fortunately, there that many pieces on the throttle housing - depending on which version you're going to create.

What housing are you most interested?

I want to recreate the housing from TFA. Obviously it would be amazing to build the ESB one, but I wanted mine to be slightly different. So yeh! I PM'd you my other q's, but I will repeat it here so other people who might want to make it can see it. What specific hardware did you use to attach and secure the threaded rod so you could achieve that smooth lever push?

Last edited:
I want to recreate the housing from TFA. Obviously it would be amazing to build the ESB one, but I wanted mine to be slightly different. So yeh! I PM'd you my other q's, but I will repeat it here so other people who might want to make it can see it. What specific hardware did you use to attach and secure the threaded rod so you could achieve that smooth lever push?

WHEW... that's a tough question! The assembly itself was laser cut with, MDF, metal washers and "I" Bolts attached to the bottoms of the actual throttles. I'm going through each page trying to find images of the assembly - unless you've already found it? The only suggestion I have is to create the assembly first before cutting ANY holes into the actual housing. You'll have to know all the near exact spacing between each throttle. Then transfer those measurements to the housing. Hope that makes sense?

If you're going to replicate the TFA version check out this 360 Pano View of the Cockpit

I used this pano view to help fill in the any gaps we had for the ESB version. The throttle housing appears to be the same but the greeblies and 2 throttle trim piece are all different . But you get a great close up of all the details!

WHEW... that's a tough question! The assembly itself was laser cut with, MDF, metal washers and "I" Bolts attached to the bottoms of the actual throttles. I'm going through each page trying to find images of the assembly - unless you've already found it? The only suggestion I have is to create the assembly first before cutting ANY holes into the actual housing. You'll have to know all the near exact spacing between each throttle. Then transfer those measurements to the housing. Hope that makes sense?

If you're going to replicate the TFA version check out this 360 Pano View of the Cockpit

I used this pano view to help fill in the any gaps we had for the ESB version. The throttle housing appears to be the same but the greeblies and 2 throttle trim piece are all different . But you get a great close up of all the details!

Here is the specific page that you were talking about: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Because the throttle housings are the same from your observations, would you be willing to share me your measurements? Thanks

Last edited:
What? 5 years ago?? I remember that exact post! Man, this thread has been a staple of my morning routine for a LONG time now. Thanks for everything, Greg! The 300 model is looking really cool. All of that intricate greeblie work on the outside is definitely starting to mess with my perception of its scale (in a good way!).

Awesome as usual! You never disappoint. I do have one question though. “Realistically” each of those greeblies on the exterior of the hull would serve a purpose or be attached to something inside. There are a lot of exposed mechanicals. Have you given any thought as to what they are or what they do? Sensors, cameras, outflow valves, etc...?
I think about the mechanicals of an aircraft and wonder what it would be like to crawl around with a screwdriver or wrench trying to troubleshoot an issue on the outside of these ships. Every greeble would have at least two fasteners holding it to the hull, so each was bolted on for some purpose, right?
But again. I LOVE IT! It’s like duct tape on top of bandaids on top of sheet metal covering bubble gum over plywood.

Awesome as usual! You never disappoint. I do have one question though. “Realistically” each of those greeblies on the exterior of the hull would serve a purpose or be attached to something inside. There are a lot of exposed mechanicals. Have you given any thought as to what they are or what they do? Sensors, cameras, outflow valves, etc...?
I think about the mechanicals of an aircraft and wonder what it would be like to crawl around with a screwdriver or wrench trying to troubleshoot an issue on the outside of these ships. Every greeble would have at least two fasteners holding it to the hull, so each was bolted on for some purpose, right?
But again. I LOVE IT! It’s like duct tape on top of bandaids on top of sheet metal covering bubble gum over plywood.
I have thought the same thing, watching this build progress. I'm like "Greg is crudding this thing up!" or "What's the use of armour plating if most of your electrical conduits are on the outside of it?!"

The important thing to remember is that those details are for filming, not for real life function, the exception being Star Trek ship models(and I'm sure others). Model makers have to saturate the model with detail in the hopes it looks real on screen with lower definition.

The mothership from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which is in the Air and Space Museum, is littered with small details that would never show up on screen. Included are details like street lights, a USPS mail drop box and R2-D2.

I for one like it and think It's neat but with ALL of that detail, it looks like it would be a mile long. Can't wait to see the full scale one get rolling again.

What? 5 years ago?? I remember that exact post! Man, this thread has been a staple of my morning routine for a LONG time now. Thanks for everything, Greg! The 300 model is looking really cool. All of that intricate greeblie work on the outside is definitely starting to mess with my perception of its scale (in a good way!).

Thanks, MB! You always have a kind word and have a long time supporter of the chaos! Can you believe we're going 8 years all together?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back