1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hi Gang,

One more quick morning update before heading off to work...

The final 1/12 scale test print of the console decals are a success!
View attachment 1005949

There were a few tiny sizing issues that need to be taken care of but they look great!
View attachment 1005950

View attachment 1005951

Izzy sent me some full scale "inertia" levers for the canopy
View attachment 1005952

During my long vacation I also cut some details for the underside of the Nav Computer shelf
View attachment 1005953

View attachment 1005954

I think it adds that one extra level of detail :)
View attachment 1005955

View attachment 1005956

I'm working on a few videos that include the corridor pads
View attachment 1005957

And I'm finally finishing up the 1/4 scale console!
View attachment 1005958

View attachment 1005959

View attachment 1005960

As always... More to Come so Stay Tuned!
Looking good Bill Ray.

Hi Gang,

Time for that elusive "Monday Morning Update"! :)

While I did do a LOT this weekend I did manage to get back to doing some "Full Scale" work! Izzy sent me a new 3D print of the Nav Chair head piece! My personal chair has been without this piece for over a year!

We're going to create a mold of this one so Izzy doesn't have to spend 200+ hours printing this beast!

She's a beauty!
IMG_20190406_074710_zpsu0c79ial.jpg

IMG_20190406_074717_zps13x0w0eg.jpg

IMG_20190406_074723_zpscb4xjgcx.jpg

I drilled out all the rivets holes in the main body
IMG_20190406_080249_zpsowa4jkpl.jpg

IMG_20190406_080254_zps0us42uwn.jpg

Anybody who has worked with a PLA 3D print knows how much prep work goes into getting a smooth finish... It's a LOT of work but totally worth it in the end!
IMG_20190406_080300_zpswm2ejdih.jpg

I sanded all the 3D rivets away, sanded the body "smooth" and then sprayed with primer filler...a LOT of primer filler
IMG_20190406_084335_zpscivbmxjo.jpg

Izzy is going to eventually create a new model so we can avoid all these tiny errors
IMG_20190406_084339_zpsz23qp654.jpg

IMG_20190406_084343_zps2zg7lxmd.jpg

Oh yeah... Bondo Spot Filler!
IMG_20190407_081635_zpsynj0jkao.jpg

THANKS, IZZY! I love ya, buddy!
IMG_20190407_081642_zpselron2pt.jpg

Here's a little Sneak Peek of this weekend's "Other" activities!
IMG_20190407_130153_zpsx3zz7qrv.jpg

More to Follow so stay tuned! :)

It's been awhile since I logged in here and WOW what progress you guys have made! I love it.

Hey W,

Shame for not logging in more often! ;)

Thanks so much for the kind words. We're plugging away... It's no rest for us. I wish I could make one video where I actually make something from start to finish! lol

Love the technique of "Pad Making" Greg...really looks good:notworthy::notworthy:(y)(y)

Thanks, J! The technique is relatively easy I just wasn't very happy with how they turned out. I'm going to sand them smooth, add another layer of the Podge, repaint, etc. A few of the pads look terrible and need to be tossed away and redone...

It's fun to see how you make the pads, but I can see why you don't feel they added quite the feel you were looking for.

Might I again suggest giving some thought to where the pads would be damaged, worn and dirty? I would guess with Solo running around the ship kicking his jackboots into things, the lower pads would be fairly worn, while the upper pads could remain almost pristine. I'm sure you've observed wear on the pads of the full scale build and could use that as a guide.

Where control panels stick out of the wall, wear will be different from areas where the crew just run past (interestingly, people doesn't seem to be walking in the ship). Perhaps the occasional fires would discolour a few of them as well.

Just my 5 pennies worth.

Hi Gang,

Time for the "Monday Morning Update"! Here we go... back to the Full Scale Build! :)

Photos from Dallas show Ken and Mitch working on a door slider mechanism
IMG_3712_zpsnzkolbmp.jpg

IMG_3713_zpscsfzfp5z.jpg

IMG_3714_zpsoltj9bew.jpg

That is MUCH more solid than the closet hangers I was using!
IMG_3715_zpsx1zdajic.jpg

IMG_3717_zpsvfq1b5fv.jpg

IMG_3718_zps6sjb7f8b.jpg

The shelves were FINALLY painted!
IMG_3764_zpswkfnmkfg.jpg

A new Mid-Section (Main Body) platform was built with beefier casters
IMG_3767_zpszi77zb72.jpg

IMG_3768_zpszagf9ldo.jpg

IMG_3776_zpsnuyl8hfs.jpg

I'm not sure what this is... yet! ;)
IMG_3777_zpsfvzmahuf.jpg

IMG_3778_zpsiemptlw5.jpg

We have another full scale nav chair head piece being worked on in Dallas while I work on mine here in Huntsville,
IMG_3773_zpsqjexnyea.jpg

IMG_3774_zpsur8suf6m.jpg

A HUGE thanks to Matt for taking the time to print this monster!
IMG_3775_zpsdb6tj3na.jpg

Finally, working a way to mount the head piece to the Nav Chair
IMG_3791_zps9nwlvwkl.jpg

IMG_3792_zps8smz2q4x.jpg

IMG_3793_zpsbr58e9g8.jpg

And this is where are!
IMG_3795_zpsigc44nnv.jpg

More to Follow, Gang! Con Season is here. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend most of the Cons as I have started a new job and have to stay close to home for personal reasons. But we are here! :)

Stay Tuned!

Love this.

What type of foam are you using? Would that foam simply painted hold up for a life size seat cushion?

Hey S,

Thanks! The foam is nothing more than insulation foam. Very easy to get a hold and can be found at most home improvement stores. Would the foam hold up on a life size prop? Yes & No. Yes, the foam would hold up IF nobody EVER sat on it and it was for display purposes only. And no, the foam would break down immediately after 3 or 4 sittings.

If you're looking for a seat cushion I would try venturing out to a fabric store and see if you can find a 1 inch or 2 inch seat foam pad and then cover with the material of your choice. Hope that made sense? :)

It's fun to see how you make the pads, but I can see why you don't feel they added quite the feel you were looking for.

Might I again suggest giving some thought to where the pads would be damaged, worn and dirty? I would guess with Solo running around the ship kicking his jackboots into things, the lower pads would be fairly worn, while the upper pads could remain almost pristine. I'm sure you've observed wear on the pads of the full scale build and could use that as a guide.

Where control panels stick out of the wall, wear will be different from areas where the crew just run past (interestingly, people doesn't seem to be walking in the ship). Perhaps the occasional fires would discolour a few of them as well.

Just my 5 pennies worth.

Thanks, FF!

I wasn't really thinking when I made the pads. I added WAY TOO many scars, cuts and holes to several of the pads. I was just having fun with it. 2 or 3 of the pads are going to be tossed out and I'll redo them. I think you are absolutely correct... the lower pads would be more worn out than the upper pads. Maybe a few cuts in the upper pads but NOTHING like what I did - especially near the cockpit.

I laughed at your "occasional fire" comment! DANG... who wired this hunk of junk!

Your 5 pennies are worth far more! Maybe 6? ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back