1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

If folks looked closely at a greeblie and saw "made in China" it would sort of ruin the whole "galaxy far, far away" aspect.

Hmm, so now I'm thinking you should add "made on Alderaan" in Aurebesh on some of the greeblies!

Do they really speak english in a galaxy far, far away? ;)

We definitely need to come up with some good Aurebesh labels for throughout the ship- safety labels, access labels, well scuffed or partly missing, things like that. Some Corellian Engineering Corporation logos partly buried by "special modifications."

Hi Gang,

WE HAVE SOUND!

This is a pic of Dan (kneeling), Jake (behind Dan) and Mike working on the new sound system
20140303_200821_zps31ff9694.jpg

Locating the best place for the speaker boxes
20140303_200841_zps5407acdb.jpg

Cutting the hole(s) for the speaker(s)
20140303_202128_zps891c285b.jpg

20140303_202701_zpsfb12406b.jpg

Fuse / control panel
20140303_203048_zps59f3fa82.jpg

I removed this greeblie - I'll be adding new details
20140303_210539_zpsdfc5b155.jpg

Before
20140303_210552_zps5b86e51c.jpg

After
20140303_211755_zpsf083b403.jpg

We have our VERY first sound test on video! Here's Dan explaining the basic setup. :)

More to Come!

Tech specs for those that might be interested. We installed a tripath 2024 chip based amp board. It's a digital amp so you get all of the sound with almost none of the heat normally associated with an analog amp and at a micro fraction of the size. It's actually 15wattsx2 which doesn't seem like a lot but trust me it's plenty when the speakers chosen were 8ohm 20watt max. The console will get power distribution tomorrow with fused circuits for protection and sanity. We're still debating on led control and if we should use shift registers or not. If anyone is good with programming shift registers with an arduino at the head end please let us know if you are up for helping out.

Expect to see some forward progress the next couple weeks before the falcon's next show :)

... why only two rows of toggle switches in the central panel and not four?

Hi A,

We're unsure what toggle switches were used in the original prop. We know the switches definitely came out of an aircraft – more than likely a Vickers since many parts / details from the Vickers can be found throughout the SW universe. I stumbled across 50 toggle switches similar to what we see online some time ago but the seller wanted 300-400 dollars for just the 50. I thought about purchasing the switches then making molds but we wanted to have every switch work. Also, with over 400 toggles throughout the cockpit, it would have been very difficult to find 400+ matching switches for the cost. I really didn’t want most of the toggle be static – I can see people accidently snapping them off.

I then found a plastic toggle switch at Wal-Mart for less than 3 dollars. Although slightly bigger than the toggles used on screen, it just made more sense to buy what was available than hold out for what might or might not have been used and rarely ever becomes available. So... to finally answer your question... because the switch is larger than the original I decided on only two columns instead of the four. Hope that made sense. :)

This thing is boss,
are you still making this for the Chris Lee falcon?

Hi SB,

Thanks so much! Yes, we are still on track for the Full Scale Falcon. :) The one we're working right now is stand alone unit (console, platform and seats) for an upcoming TEDx event in Nashville. As a smaller prop it will be eaiser to transport to the smaller / local shows but also give folks a glimpse into what's to come - similar to the cockpit. Speaking of which, the entire cockpit is sitting in pieces in the house and we're FINALLY getting ready to move to the new workshop.

Once the stand alone prop is out the door we are immediately changing gears and refocusing on the entire cockpit. We're going to build a brand new center console using the CNC, laser cutter and poster printer for the pin stripes. Virtually everything will be done using the computer. Plus the canopy is going to be rebuilt. No more guessing those dimensions! The next phase is going to be epic!

- - - Updated - - -

I was ready for the "PEW-PEW" ...Was not expecting the... Brilliance!

LOL we all got Rick Rolled. I had no idea he was going to blast a little RA!

Thanks for the details SK,
all done in the computer, wow... the future is here, via a long time ago.

OH YEAH! We all met at the lab last night (sorry... no pics) and had a quick pow wow on adding sound effects and then discussed the specifics on how to move forward with the next console. I can't begin to tell you how much easier this is going to be...

- - - Updated - - -

I love the way that the canopy looks in the background of this shot. It's like genuine Star Wars universe starship parts. And it probably sounds silly but it's so cool that you are going to make a whole new canopy so the old one can be an extra decoration on its own :)

Hey C,

I never considered keeping the old canopy but it would be cool to keep as a show piece. I thought about giving it away or parting it out to anybody interested... But it does look cool sitting there. It's almost guarding the console. :)

What you did on your own was truly epic. What you are now doing as a group just shows how truly viable the Full Scale Falcon really is. This is so damn fun to watch!

Wonderful posts Sofa and that sound system is kicking ass (RA is my era, so don't mind the dancing:D) Seeing the level of details this build is going to achieve with the new tools is very exciting indeed. Looking forward to more pics for sure

Hi Gang,

A little more from last night. Didn't get as far as I would have liked.... Spent most of the afternoon doing taxes...

Mike laser cut these greeblies to go on the very front of the console (nose) - he's working on two more for the speaker covers. The rectangular looking greeblie is for the very back of the console. That will be painted silver.
20140305_211824_zpsc1dbcba3.jpg

Note the etched line
20140305_211831_zpsf0ed2038.jpg

20140305_211839_zps634b5f0a.jpg

I then got to work on the huge button display I picked up a few years back (has it been that long?)
20140305_200520_zpsc8996b20.jpg

I printed out and cut the new text
20140305_200525_zps97037687.jpg

Removed the old
20140305_200531_zps411b013c.jpg

Stuck into place
20140305_200540_zpsa03a2c43.jpg

Maybe a little polishing is needed for the plastic covers
20140305_202907_zpsb5ee7dba.jpg

All Done
20140305_202911_zpsff71f524.jpg

All ready to be wired up
20140305_211656_zps830b93ec.jpg

20140305_211704_zps2390bc38.jpg

A long way to go in a short amount of time - that's how it always seems to be... ;)
20140305_211953_zps8cc3c9b9.jpg

More to Follow!

What you did on your own was truly epic. What you are now doing as a group just shows how truly viable the Full Scale Falcon really is. This is so damn fun to watch!

Thank you my friend. We're really excited. As much as we want to see the current console all lit and making sounds, we're more excited to get back to the cockpit and really get out hands dirty! And it is so nice to have a ready and willing team to work with.

Wonderful posts Sofa and that sound system is kicking ass (RA is my era, so don't mind the dancing:D) Seeing the level of details this build is going to achieve with the new tools is very exciting indeed. Looking forward to more pics for sure

Hey J,

Thank you! Dan and Jake have totally blown my mind. I've set up a stereo system or two in my youth, but these guys are light years ahead of simply "splicing" a wire or plugging in some Christmas Tree lights. The cockpit is going to be amazing! They are going breath so much life into that pile of wood and paint.

But more importantly, a little Rick Astley is good for the soul...

Hi Gang,

Well... the weekend is here. For all intent and purposes I "should" be able to get most of what I need to do finished. Then I hand it over to the sound and lighting team. I've been going through my head exactly what it is that needs to be done and the list is very short... Let's hope for a good weekend!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back