1:1 "Freeborn" YODA (THE ULTIMATE GOAL) R.I.P STUART FREEBORN

Re: 1:1 "Freeborn" YODA (THE ULTIMATE GOAL) SILICONE Paint-up Pge [17]

Outstanding! Thanks for the paint tips... The progress on this is amazing!

WOW AWESOME WORK Phil, thats absolutely the closest fan made prop head I have ever seen on this forum from all the year. Man you win the price anytime. Ohhhhh that is an amazing sculpt but also a fantastic paintjob :eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

Does the skull distort the sculpt from the original shape? I really liked the pictures of the skin but something looks a bit off about the shape to me.

I am liking how this is coming along. I can't wait to see a video of the working puppet.

Thanks guys.... I've had to modify the older torso section to make the head sit more upright and generally make the fibregless body a little larger and more supportive.

Davy... the skin isn't fixed down properly yet to the skull so yes it doesn't hold to its original shape at the moment but that said I quite like the way it looks because if you study the footage of the original puppet you'll notice just how fluid Yodas face form is throughout the film... When it does get properly fixed down when I get the eyes and teeth and eyelid mechanism in place I'm confident in myself this will look very convincing:love

I would love you to do a tutorial of how you make this puppet function as it will.
:love

Nice, but why all the black or weathering?, i prefered the look before that was added, you've put a lot of work into it, thats obvious to see

Thats actually what the colours are meant to be like frosty... I'm not coming from a place of ignorance having studied Yoda for so long ;) I might still do a few more alterations but I'm quite satisfied thats the correct approach.

Lovin this Phil... awesome work!
I hope that kits are made available of these? and I agree with Sskunky.. a tutorial would be awesome. :cool

Lovin this Phil... awesome work!
I hope that kits are made available of these? and I agree with Sskunky.. a tutorial would be awesome. :cool

I second that. I would love to show this off a Star Wars Celebration Six . Any date of when you might do a run?

Okay.... :confused
I bow to your all encompassing yoda knowledge then, is that better? :rolleyes

EDIT
Reading it again, i did come across a bit harsh, and i apologise, i read to much into what you were saying

Last edited:

I'm not trying to sound arrogant frosty as you're trying to portray but you asked me a question.

Lighting does play a big part in how Yoda appears on screen aswell but even these pics show a lot of weathering... more than most have attempted on their own Yodas. But like I said, this isn't the finished article!

yodacolour2.jpg

yodacolour3.jpg

yodaweather.jpg

Okay.... :confused
I bow to your all encompassing yoda knowledge then, is that better? :rolleyes

That's a bit harsh! You asked a question and Phil answered it. How you would think that anyone could sculpt something to this high a standard and not research extensively the painting and weathering is beyond me. :rolleyes.

Harsh? i don't think i was, i was replying to a snotty post, maybe i read it wrong?.
Its a great sculpt, but all i was saying was that maybe the weathering was a bit much, while not an 'expert' i have looked at the little guy for years, never noticed that amount of weathering on him.

Well, the kicker is Phil is shooting for accuracy and the Yoda you see on screen is weathered in the same way. Besides, did you see any baths anywhere on Dagobah? That is one dirty little frog dude.

I don't think I was being snotty at all, earlier.... On the other hand, frosty, every time you post in my threads theres some sort of jealous tone about it... Checking back your posts (in this thread) you say you're making one...or had planned to or want to yet you always seem to be full of advice for me or quite happy raining your opinions in my direction :confused You're the only person here, so far, thats had anything negative to say about my silicone Yoda.... good luck!

I think the coloring Cyberman has done is pretty darn good so far to be honest. I think the weathering is pretty perfect. Cant wait to see the eyes

Last edited:

Anyone in photography or film industry knows you can't paint a prop costume/character puppet that is intended to look realistic just one flat color otherwise it would appear flat and lifeless on screen. This is why Vader has two tone paint scheme of black and gunmetal otherwise he would appear as a detail-less black blob! Most props costumes and live actors have a lot of exaggerated makeup so they'll look correct on a fully lighted set and appear natural on screen. Hence "powdering" to reduce shine and sweat, airbrushed muscle contours on "less than cut" actors ( the movie 300 is a prime example!). This yoda is perfect!!!!

Ok this went sour real fast, i posted an opinion, thats all it was, and as a fellow sculptor and propmaker i asked a question, thats what this place is about, props and opinions on what looks right or why someone used that technique, i also said it was a great sculpt if you remember
Honestly i am not jealous of you, why would i be, your a talented guy, and i do plan on sculpting my own version in the future, i've sculpted the little guy twice so far, first time when i was first starting out, so i feel i could do a better job now.

I added an apology to my own snotty post, and have edited this one to, did not mean to derail the thread with bickering, good luck with the rest of the project

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back