“There and Back Again; A Mystery Chunk Tale”

Ladies and gentlemen...

The gods have smiled upon me.

After 2 hours of rummaging through my shop.... calculating every possible destination along the chunk’s last known trajectory...and emptying the contents of an entire industrial shelf (tons of model kits, etc) I found the following item in a corner of one of the shelves, silently laughing at me, haunting me, torturing me, secretly judging me...

DEF97A8D-36D1-4B3F-AA86-D8AA7C70606D.jpeg

I’m off to go buy a lottery ticket while my good luck is still in effect.

I encourage you all to reach out to me—virtually and respecting social distancing rules—to absorb some of my good luck mojo.

It will not last.

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen...

After 2 hours of rummaging through my shop.... calculating every possible destination along the chunk’s last known trajectory...and emptying the contents of an entire industrial shelf (tons of model kits, etc) I found the following item in a corner of one of the shelves, silently laughing at me, haunting me, torturing me, secretly judging me...

View attachment 1351445

I encourage you all to reach out to me—virtually and respecting social distancing rules—to absorb some of my good luck mojo.

It will not last.

Now I can say “glad you found it!” And not look like a fool lol

I used a torch on my own chunk to bend the little prongs. Turned it a nice blue color but otherwise I didn’t have any issues? What should I be watching out for, just the bluing?

On the other I did for a member of the forum here I just bent it cold to avoid the bluing, that worked as well with a little force.

I used a torch on my own chunk to bend the little prongs. Turned it a nice blue color but otherwise I didn’t have any issues? What should I be watching out for, just the bluing?

On the other I did for a member of the forum here I just bent it cold to avoid the bluing, that worked as well with a little force.

I have been told by a very reputable person the top of the chunk has silver on it, while the sides are rusty brown

I’m trying to get the time frame, was this during rotj or is this now

He’s gone kind of silent, I don’t know if he over stepped his bounds

To me with all my reference and the pop culture quest video I see brown just like in my video

But this guy is very VERY reputable.. wish he would verify the time line of his reference

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Is there a correct way to file the edges of the chunk down? Pretty sure the photos of the V2 prop don’t show this detail - or are some people in the know and have the info ?

I have been told by a very reputable person the top of the chunk has silver on it, while the sides are rusty brown

I’m trying to get the time frame, was this during rotj or is this now

He’s gone kind of silent, I don’t know if he over stepped his bonds

To me with all my reference and the pop culture quest video I see brown just like in my video

But this guy is very VERY reputable.. wish he would verify the time line of his reference
I mean, worse case scenario, everyone torches their chunks and has to re-buff it right?

Gotcha. A light buff of the top with steel wool has brought the silver right back so I’m not too concerned with it. I do appreciate the heads up very much though! Your info is always invaluable.

Last edited:
MY Running theory is that the shaved sides of the mystery chunk on the V2 could have removed the zinc on the sides but not the knurled face. This is why it could have been bright steel/zinc on set in Yuma etc.
In that case the zinc on the face would be present and bright like sliver, while the sides would rust over a very quick period of time. However, in my experience no amount of zinc can inhibit raw steel oxidation and exposure over an extended period of time if it is in close proximity. Given time, proximity to steel oxidation, and potential cleaning... even galvanization/zinc will be prone to surface darkening and oxidization.

Thus I think:
RoTJ V2 was probably *relatively* bright on all sides in filming.
Shaved flange on the boot stud revealed oxidizable steel, and over time revealed...
Rusted sides and zinc knurled face.
Over time, with rusted sides and a zinc knurled face the oxidation extended to the surface of the zinc and with oxidation occurring on both ends the zinc (over the past 40 some years) has darkened and oxidized to match the steel, if not being completely destroyed in the process of steel oxidization.

MY Running theory is that the shaved sides of the mystery chunk on the V2 could have removed the zinc on the sides but not the knurled face. This is why it could have been bright steel/zinc on set in Yuma etc.
In that case the zinc on the face would be present and bright like sliver, while the sides would rust over a very quick period of time. However, in my experience no amount of zinc can inhibit raw steel oxidation and exposure over an extended period of time if it is in close proximity. Given time, proximity to steel oxidation, and potential cleaning... even galvanization/zinc will be prone to surface darkening and oxidization.

Thus I think:
Shaved flange on the boot stud revealed oxidizable steel, and over time revealed...
Over time, with rusted sides and a zinc knurled face the oxidation extended to the surface of the zinc and with oxidation occurring on both ends the zinc (over the past 40 some years) has darkened and oxidized to match the steel, if not being completely destroyed in the process of steel oxidization.

IMG_7910.GIF

Ladies and gentlemen...

View attachment 1351445

It will not last.
Can you rub some of that luck on a grain of salt and send it my way. please

Thus I think:
Perfectly said! Great thought process going here.

Thus I think:
EXACTLY my thoughts, Bryan.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back