“There and Back Again; A Mystery Chunk Tale”

It's easy enough to remove the flange in the model, and print them without it, but, it's such a small part, with very precise details, and I wouldn't want to decide for the end user whether to leave just a touch/hint of the flange, or have it be smooth and flush, etc. Everyone has their own idea in their head for how the chunk should look, I'd think, so any replicas, I believe, should leave all options open to the end user.

That said, are you saying you want a version with just a hint of the flange remaining, or completely flush?

Well, I must confess: when I started reading this I didn’t know a mystery chunk from a mystery disc, I was only vaguely aware that something called a “mystery chunk” even existed, and I couldn’t tell you what an accurate replica looked like... And now, I know more about old boots than I’ll ever need to. So, thanks, I think? :lol:

I can say that I’m generally more interested in finished prop replicas that other, more talented people have worked on, rather than component parts to put together myself. My attempts at working on simple things like attaching grips to Graflex replicas have been embarrassingly disastrous, and have made me think that it’s best to leave things to others. I’m afraid I don’t really have the eye or the hand for it, and that’s ok.

That said, it’s great to be able to read about other members’ passions, and to see the fruits of their labors.

And so, thank you to those who have come here to share the information of the discovery. Part of what I like about this community is being able to read through old and new threads to learn about the props and parts that make up the movies we all love. I can say that it’s extremely refreshing to be able to read and see images of all this stuff, when so many of the old Vader and other similarly secretive topics are often frustratingly scrubbed of details.

Dann I get what you're doing. I'm not in the market for anything myself as I'm getting one of Khal's cheapy heel studs, but...
That said, are you saying you want a version with just a hint of the flange remaining, or completely flush?
given what Jagjaguwar has just put it maybe something there is a (small?) market for.

Sales thread is up!

Surely someone has mentioned it already, but I couldn't read 18 pages of fighting to find out, so on the off chance it wasn't mentioned, these pieces are also present on Lando's helmet. There are 3 to a side and they hold the monster jaw disguise to the neck guard of the helmet.

Lando_Helmet.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a question - doesn't Lando lower the chin guard in a nice close-up shot? How does it have a single pivot hinge if the 3 studs hold it in place?

Here's a question - doesn't Lando lower the chin guard in a nice close-up shot? How does it have a single pivot hinge if the 3 studs hold it in place?
I'd think that even IF all three studs attach to the "chin strap", I don't see how that would keep it from moving the amount it did in that scene.

There had to be some for his stunt double, his son right?

Anyway, super cool to see these in multiple props on Jedi. I wonder what else they're on

Is BRRogers back yet?

For the record, there was obviously some elation by all at the discovery, then a bit of apprehension that not all would benefit, then relief when advised that there would likely be enough to go around, then frustration that off-forum sales were accounting for most initial chunks, and now relief again now that some are being offered for sale to the general public.

Considering the swings from one of the above states to another, I think the odd negative comment here and there was inevitable. BUT these views we're the minority of reactions, and often just a temporary view expressed during the apprehension or frustration phase, lol.

All in all, the overwhelming feeling is still excitement, and appreciation. Please believe this, and consider rejoining the conversation.

To answer for BRRogers and myself at least, yes we are still observing. The initial reveal just soured a lot and we felt stepping away to work on other things was better. But yes. We are still watching. ;)

There’s grade A chunks back at KR Sabers site, The Saber Armory. Currently 39 left.

Thanks for the mention!

These are the last I’ll have to be honest. My arms hurt removing these things! Haha

The Grade B ones I even have are VERY nice.

These are the ones I took out today. Each column of 3 rows is a grade. A on the left and D on the far right.

The B’s are pretty damn good. A’s sold very fast, but still a lot of them left for everyone [emoji41]

Adjustments.jpg

I was too late for the Grade A ones, too bad. But I‘m happy to see the Grade B I’ve ordered instead are pretty good, too. Thank you to you guys who did all this hard work identifying, finding and, of course, extracting these little goodies. Great work by all of you.

They will be a sweet extra on my ROTJ proton grenade.

khal1993

Just got this little beauty in the mail today from the Saber Armory:
IMG_5595 2.jpg

It's B grade, which makes me glad I didn't get A. I think A might be more appropriate for the other props, but for V2, I agree with what's been said before in this thread: B or C looks more fitting.

I don't have any glue handy, but I've ground it and got a decent test fit. I think it's going to look great:
IMG_5596 2.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back