Hasbro Legacy Millennium Falcon Conversion

IMO its pretty easy to go slow with a dremel. Small movements on slow speed. As long as the tip goes clear from other parts of the ship though. You must do what you feel comfortable with (dont tell anyone, but I use an angle grinder quite a lot when building stuff... :eek)

Last edited:
Well, I've cut the rear landing gear box off using a razor saw for most of it but I had to use the motortool for those areas closest to the centre of the hull. I got the nicest straight edge with the saw that the only real cleaning up I had to do was where I used the motortool.

I'm just trying to cut a piece of styrene to the correct shape of the box now. I'll cut the front boxes off in the next few days but I want to get a new saw before I do that. The blade I have at the moment does have a handle and is awkward to hold.

great to see what your doing here,hoping to start one of these myself.it's a big help when you can see what other people have figured out.makes the job a lot easier.

Well, I've cut the rear landing gear box off using a razor saw for most of it but I had to use the motortool for those areas closest to the centre of the hull. I got the nicest straight edge with the saw that the only real cleaning up I had to do was where I used the motortool.

Pics or it didnt happen. ;)

I've managed to get some more work done over the last few days. I've now cut the front LG boxes from the hull, again using a razor saw for most of the cutting then changing to my motortool. Just a little cleaning up required where I used the saw.

P1090327a.jpg

The cut on the rear box is essentially done and I am happy with the height I managed to achieve. I think the hardest part will be cutting a piece of styrene sheet to the right size.

P1090333a.jpg

The front LG boxes still needs some work as I still want to reduce the height of them even further. When studied the base of the box almost touches the hull on the 32in studio model so I want to replica this as best as I can.

P1090329a.jpg

In the image below you can see the portion of the L/G box I cut off sitting underneath then hull and level with the cut line. This I did to see whether it was possible to re-use the base for the new box using plastic strip to fill in the gaps around it. That would save time making a new base from plastic sheet and cutting it to shape. Whadaya think?

P1090334a.jpg

Thats looking really good JP! Nice and clean cuts.

I think its a good idea to use the old part. One way is that when you built up underneath simply fill the seam with CA glue. (Sand before it dries rock hard.) Would be quick and look nice I think. Any putty would work too, but I find I have more precision with a good CA glue bottle with a fine tip, when filling that kind of seam.

What do you plan to do with the cockpit?

Thanks Nazgul. I'll eventually be looking for a resin canopy as well as some turret guns. My skills don't go that far to be able to scratch build them.

As far as the cockpit tube goes I priced some acrylic tubing today but it only came in 1800mm lengths and cost $80.00. So now I need to source an alternative however there is still a few other things, such as the jaw boxes, I want to do before I tackle the cockpit.

So far so good and I am happy with the way things are progressing, even if it is slowly.

What do you plan to do with the cockpit?

those cuts on the l/g boxs look real good,spot on.i'm gonna do the 32" replica.it wont be a perfect replica but as close as i can get.will probably replace approx 30-40% of the detailing,do all the necessary trimming.will replace the cockpit with the smaller old hasbro one.got a few donor kit parts already and should have the entex porsche cast parts on the way soon.should be a fun project but still want it to have a reasonably authentic look to it.

Mine won't be a perfect replica either and if I get the chance to get some of the major donor kits then I'll be happy. It would be great if someone did castings of some detailing parts. I've done some pricing of only a few of the kits but I stopped after several hundred dollars.

What's everyones thoughts on the ESSENTIAL donor kits for detailing?
1/35 Tamiya Matilda
1/20 Tyrell P34

The Airfix kits are usually fairly cheap and readily available so they are a must have.

i don't think you need much more otherwise it will cost too much.i got the same stuff and i reckon it's enough to get the falcon looking pretty good.i got enough random parts from other kits to fill out the blanks and hopefully she will come out ok.a great paint job will get it over the line.

Sidewallheight.jpg

Hi kokkari, I used 18.5mm as spacing between the overhangs. It looked about right to me as a
5-footer hull.

Mandibles.jpg

For the mandibles I used 2.3mm (not including armour plating). For the plating I used 0.25mm
instead of 0.4mm as I figured it would bend over the shell better (you know that I sanded the
plating off the Hasbro, right? - what a crazy thing to do) It would have been best to use 0.30mm
but the Tamiya 0.30mm was more expensive.

I'm inching along with my build but it just isn't fit for posting anymore as it's taking too long.
I'd really rather work on smaller projects, though, that I can realistically complete (that, as they
say, will be the day).

I'm moving very slow ahead with mine too. Even worse is that I'll have to down tools in a few weeks and then again in a few months as I am going away for 3 weeks at the end of this month and will be moving as well in late Dec, early January.

As it stands I have decided to go with making new L/G box undersides with styrene instead of using the original boxes. This gives me a clean slate to work with for detailing.

Thanks Crackerjazz. Your work has inspired me to give this a go also. My only question is with the mandible height. Did you mean 12.3mm instead of 2.3, or do I not understand my mm?

Thanks

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back