New Han Solo Blaster Toy

DrMcoy

Sr Member
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but I could have missed it.

Rubies has a new Han Solo Blaster toy out -- got mine on ebay for $12 shipped, but I've seen them go between $15 and $20.

It is 100% actual size to real prop and makes authentic Star Wars blaster noise when you pull trigger. While it's not totally accurate, for a toy it is pretty darn close, and it paints up pretty good if you're looking for a costume piece for under $20.

Here's a stock pic of how it comes -- blue and orange, along with pic sof my paint-up. Used Krylon flat black primer, Testors Gunmetal metalizer for tip, Tamaiya Red/Brown for grip and then Rub & Buf silver for weathered highlights.

4428974.jpeg

4609001.jpeg

4632609.jpeg

compared to MR:

4694721.jpeg

NO -- the pic that shows ESB version is NOT what you get -- they just took photo of ESB version and colored it blue/orange -- what you get is EXACTLY what I had pictured.

Yeah, you could drill the muzzle holes out easily. The plastic may appear too thick , but you can easily dremel down inside the muzzle to thin it all out. I don't know if the current muzzle is as thick as the old kenner one, but I did that on the kenner one successfully years ago.

The other thing you can do is paint the inside flat black as well as the walls of the holes........it will give the illusion that it's thinner too.

Dave :)

The holes NEAREST the gun may prove problematic to drill out as the speaker meachanism may be there inside -- but I suppose if you don't mind losing the sound aspect -- or can figure out a way to move it further back into the gun (or elsewhere ont he gun) then you could do this.

I thought about it for a few seconds, but as the gun has other aspects that aren't 100% I decided to forget it.

BUT, I bet a more advanced modeler could fill the screw holes and maybe even make some other adjustments to the toy to make it even more accurate....but to me, if you wanna get more screen accurate, you'd be better off buying a resin model.

I figured for what it was, it was worth spending the hour or so I did to paint her up the way I did and I would have a TOY version of the blaster that was good to play around with, let the kids play around with, and have on hand in case anyone in my family ever decided to use it as a costume piece.

But if anyone dolls it up even more, please be sure to share pics and tips.

NOTE: The SCOPE is not 100% in position and is not fully molded SEPARATE fromt he gun -- they cheated this and while it is offset somewhat, if you look closely, you'll see the front of the scope is actually molded TO the front barrel. Again, not 100% accurate, but dang close for a toy.

Last edited:
Looks like the same blaster that's been out for a while, by Hasbro, just repackaged. I picked one up at Downtown Disney a few years ago. They were mostly orange with some silver and black weathering painted on. I threw on a quick coat of black so my wife could use it with her X-Wing cotume.

Edit:
phase2right.jpg

Nope, not the same mold.

Scott

Last edited:
Yeah, this is NOT the Kenner toy -- larger/truer in size to actual prop and SCOPE is not separate from body but cheated a bit by being molded TO the main gun, so it doesn't hang off the gun as much as it should.

Again, makes for a GREAT costume piece for under $20, but will not satisfy those who want a true 1:1 model...and does not lend itself easily to modification....if you want something cheap and accurate, you should go with resin kits.

Boy I hope mine turns out half as well as that. :)

I was looking at mine today, to see how much work it was going to take to drill out the face of the slash hider. (for those that don't know, it comes with smooth disk, with holes in it, at the end of the flash hider, that really kind of kills the believability of it as a gun/blaster) But then I saw it was a seperet piece, so I stuck a metal pin through on of the holes in the disk, and pulled, and it popped right out, making the flash hider much more believable. :) And, one I got that out I could see that the speaker, sets way back in on mine, so I could drill out the flash hider holes if I want to, with out messing up the speaker.

Though, I will say this, the speaker is awful, I mean, it is really junky, so I would avoid, poking, painting, or well breathing on it. :lol

I Don't really want to, but I think will try to drill out the openings in the scope too, because it looks a little funny to have scope with no openings at all to look threw.

Over all though, It is much cooler the the kinner toy blaster, and hey for $12. you can't go wrong. :)

Yeah, It's a shame, every place had the clone blaster from the same line, but they just didn't get that this was a far cooler, and more accurate prop/costume Piece. :( I looked all over town, and only found it at one place., and I got the last one they had in stock before they closed for the season.

The one I was thinking of is a new and current Hasbro toy. I was at Disney Hollywood Studios a week ago and they were all over the Star Wars shop. $20 I think.

Scott

Yeah, the Hasbro one, keeps getting re-released, but the blaster in this thread (the rubies version) is larger, and more accurate, in size, and shape. It's still fare from screen accurate, but it's a lot closer then any other toy blaster I've seen.

Is the heat sink on the toy the same size as that on the MR EE?

I need to get a heat sink for my C96, and was going to mold the MR EE heat sink.

BUT

If they are the same size, it would be easier to cut it off the toy.

Any measurements/ comparisons?

Thanks!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back