"THE" Han Solo DL44 Blaster - From the Vault

PicasoX

Sr Member
I just ran across this cool video on You Tube where they pull out one of the original DL44's used by Han Solo in A New Hope. I enjoy the close ups so I can compare the detail of my ow DL-44 replicas.

Attachments

• dl44 -real.PNG
    dl44 -real.PNG
    896 KB · Views: 42
Is this the Pawn Starts DL44? If so, not 100% fake. Unless newer info available, only scope and scope rings are original (I think), everything else is not screen used.

There is more than one, there are supposed to be 4 originals

From ‘77 Star Wars? Don’t think this info is accurate unfortunately. Of course the people who are selling and profiting off this prop would have u believe different… There is/was only ever one true Hero.

There is more than one, there are supposed to be 4 originals
Yes, according to the actual armorer. But 2 were for Han, 2 were for Luke. Each had a hero and backup. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember much about the ones for Luke.

From ‘77 Star Wars? Don’t think this info is accurate unfortunately. Of course the people who are selling and profiting off this prop would have u believe different… There is/was only ever one true Hero.
Tony was very detailed in the letter he provided to RIA, explaining what parts of the gun are original, what parts are new, and what parts could possibly have been on the backup. No matter what the hype was, the bidders were told up front that only a portion of the gun was confirmed to be original.

That video takes me back! I was there when Brownell's made that video (I think they got the gun right after I was done with it.)

You know? if they need another DL-44 in an up coming Star Wars movie you should submit one of yours for consideration.

Roman's saber hilt was used in one of the movies in the new trilogy, I forgot which one though.

I read somewhere that they used the AW Customs DL-44 for the Solo movie. Apparently their standards weren't that high, probably why the movie sucked.

Unfortunately, he doesn't remember much..

You probably could have stopped right there.

Tony is also very open to saying he didn’t know much about Star Wars when he bought Bapty. He also bought Bapty back around the year 2000. I’m not saying he lying but I also don’t think he knows exactly what he’s talking about. Luke never had a blaster in the original script outside of the stormtroopers blaster. In a tight budget why would they commission one for him? That certainly doesn’t make sense. I think what Tony is mistakingly referring to (2-4 blasters) is actually from TESB not SW.

Also honest question why did you put 299415 on your blaster? The community is already mislead enough with the MR incorrect builds. Now people will only be more confused. It looks like an absolute gorgeous replica otherwise. But I think we all know just because Tony says it.. doesn’t make it true.

Last edited:
Yes, according to the actual armorer. But 2 were for Han, 2 were for Luke. Each had a hero and backup. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember much about the ones for Luke.

Tony was very detailed in the letter he provided to RIA, explaining what parts of the gun are original, what parts are new, and what parts could possibly have been on the backup. No matter what the hype was, the bidders were told up front that only a portion of the gun was confirmed to be original.

That video takes me back! I was there when Brownell's made that video (I think they got the gun right after I was done with it.)
**** Todd, I didn't know you were there/possibly handled the damned thing!

Yes, for the sake of this thread, its all in that thread that KramStaar posted above. The scope and the rings/cradle are probably original. The vertical part of the mount and the crossbar/knobs were made from scratch, Flash hider is... was brand spankin new looking and looked like a replica though they claim they still had one in Bapty, and the gun has no connection to star wars that anyone in the public knows. There is a rumored photo of a few prepped for SW but that doesn't make much sense.

You probably could have stopped right there.
I spent an entire day at Bapty in November last year, talking to Tony and the gunsmiths about Carl and the blaster. Eight hours at Bapty, four hours at dinner with Tony. Don't believe me? 020 857 7700 is their number. Ask for Ben.

Tony had been in the firearms/prop rental business for decades before taking over Bapty. No, he's not a Star Wars fan. His knowledge is behind the scenes - first hand information from employees, and the huge inventory of production-used guns and parts that he owned.

The man in the center of all this is Carl Schmidt. (Yes, his name IS spelled with a C, according to the man who signed his paychecks for 22 years.) He casts a very large shadow. He is very private. He doesn't talk much. He doesn't have a computer. His wife drives him to work and carries his lunch. His dad was an SS member during WW2. He's got a bad temper. Despite the "no alcohol at work" rule, he's decorated his work area with rows of Colt 45 cans nailed to the wall. He hardly ever uses a milling machine, preferring to do his metalwork on a bench grinder. He thinks Star Wars fans are idiots, and he's sick and tired of the decades and decades of endless questions about it. He doesn't talk about it almost out of spite. He thought the hoopla over the auction was ridiculous. He only cooperated for Tony's sake. It wasn't his gun, after all. Tony was lucky to get him to appear in the Pawn Stars video, although Carl barely hid his contempt for the whole thing.

Carl is the one who has claimed for decades that he prepared 4 blasters. 2 were for Han, 2 not. I believe the back up Han gun is the one the imperial officer draws when Han and crew storm the docking bay control room.

Yes, for the sake of this thread, its all in that thread that @KramStaar posted above.

Yes, sorry about that! I just jumped in here because I saw it being discussed. I have seen the other thread.

The scope and the rings/cradle are probably original.
Yes. The lead gunsmith at Bapty showed me exactly where Carl spliced the upright stand with a new section with mounting groove.

crossbar/knobs were made from scratch
Yep, as were the threaded parts to connect the flash hider

Flash hider is... was brand spankin new looking and looked like a replica though they claim they still had one in Bapty
The flash hider wan't new, but it was very rusty. Carl had just sandblasted it with the Pawn Stars crew came to film. No one makes any claim that it was used on the hero weapon.

**** Todd, I didn't know you were there/possibly handled the damned thing!
Yes, I spent about 6 hours with it on the Wednesday before the auction. I took my blueprints and notes and double checked measurements, weights, etc. Made some tracings of the scope mount, etc. RIA was VERY accommodating, providing me with a chaperone the entire time. They even set up a little work area for me.

Last edited:
lol thank you ToddsCostumes ways a pleasure having you here! I think the most hilarious thing out of that is Carls temper translates to how he does metal work… just ******* put it on a bench grinder, don’t waste time lining up a mill hahahaha

I asked repeatedly if Carl could come in on the day I visited. They promised to ask. I offered to bribe him. He said no. When I showed up there, I mentioned that I was sorry he didn't come. You should have seen their faces!! LOL!!! The mere thought struck them with terror! They assured me, it was probably better that I DIDN'T meet him, as he would have probably just cursed me out.

They did show me some of his other creations, though, which were pretty cool.

20221122_153230.jpg

Tony is holding a double machine gun Carl made that fires in sync.

20221122_151914.jpg

A pair of wheel locks made from scratch. Carl made all of it, including the case. I forget the movie that was for... I remember Tony saying the action called for the pistols to misfire, and the actor to throw them away.

20221122_153142.jpg

That is the lead gunsmith, Innes Knight, showing me Carl's mini MP40.

20221122_153757.jpg

Innes showing me some of his own handiwork. I forget the movie (Kingsmen???)

20221122_154232.jpg

Carl's scratch-built machine pistol. I believe that's my thumb.

Anyway, cool stuff. Carl seems to love to make Frankenguns. Back to work now...

Last edited:
I spent an entire day at Bapty in November last year, talking to Tony and the gunsmiths about Carl and the blaster. Eight hours at Bapty, four hours at dinner with Tony. Don't believe me? 020 857 7700 is their number. Ask for Ben.

Tony had been in the firearms/prop rental business for decades before taking over Bapty. No, he's not a Star Wars fan. His knowledge is behind the scenes - first hand information from employees, and the huge inventory of production-used guns and parts that he owned.

The man in the center of all this is Carl Schmidt. (Yes, his name IS spelled with a C, according to the man who signed his paychecks for 22 years.) He casts a very large shadow. He is very private. He doesn't talk much. He doesn't have a computer. His wife drives him to work and carries his lunch. His dad was an SS member during WW2. He's got a bad temper. Despite the "no alcohol at work" rule, he's decorated his work area with rows of Colt 45 cans nailed to the wall. He hardly ever uses a milling machine, preferring to do his metalwork on a bench grinder. He thinks Star Wars fans are idiots, and he's sick and tired of the decades and decades of endless questions about it. He doesn't talk about it almost out of spite. He thought the hoopla over the auction was ridiculous. He only cooperated for Tony's sake. It wasn't his gun, after all. Tony was lucky to get him to appear in the Pawn Stars video, although Carl barely hid his contempt for the whole thing.

Carl is the one who has claimed for decades that he prepared 4 blasters. 2 were for Han, 2 not. I believe the back up Han gun is the one the imperial officer draws when Han and crew storm the docking bay control room.

Yes, sorry about that! I just jumped in here because I saw it being discussed. I have seen the other thread.

I think that your experience is definitely an amazing one for sure. Not sure why it would need verification or even what that would accomplish with regards to either the actual hero prop or this replica recreated with the real scope and cradle. The way people talk about Carl.. not really sure he’s much of a reliable source these days either. His connection obviously is legendary but sounds like he could care less about reliving or remembering anything of importance when it comes to the work he did over 40 years ago on a film he probably didn’t think much of even then. I think his recreated PS/RIA blaster speaks volumes on just what Carl can offer this hobby these days. It’s not even close to the actual film prop outside using those real parts am I wrong?

Sorry if you think I’m in some way trying to belittle your experience as I am not. The internet and the way we express ourselves within these threads I think can sometimes be taken the wrong way. The PS/RIA blaster is prop I’ve even replicated myself but it’s still a poorly made replica of the actual hero prop is all. Only parts of value I think everyone can agree on is that scope and craddle. Truth is those parts alone might be worth millions onto themselves. It’s all that’s left and even if the other parts where to magically turn up it will never be whole agian..
84E44832-6026-4C68-9B77-ACD92CE762FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Carl sounds/acts like my Austrian friend:eek::eek::lol::lol: The only way for him to like you is to show one of your weapon, made from scratch, by hand and able to fire!! Less than that? Good luck ;);):p:p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back