Chewbaccas bowcaster build...FINISHED!

Re: Chewbaccas bowcaster build

Hi all
the above pics show the scope rings where I mounted the two upside down. Im thinking of taking the screws out and drilling out the threads then inserting the screws and a nut on the opposite side or should i leave them as they are now?

Thanks Kurtyboy. Trying to get the look right without spending years and tons of money. Might try to make the "tabs or feet" wider to match the original look on the scope rings.

You just need to cut four rectangles from sheet metal and drill holes in them.

Still sanding on this and now finally making headway! Started wet sanding now with 320 grit and its getting really smooth. The areas that have filler feel like glass and tgats how i want the rest of it to be. Ive used glazing putty on the imperfections. Next is wet sanding with 400 then priming. Its slow going

Ive been looking at the knobs and greeblies i need and cant seem to find out what the plug is thats connected to the coiled cord at the back of the bow caster. Does anyone have any info on this?

It's am audio plug. Phono in the UK, RCA in the US.

Last edited:

Is this what you mean

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    532.5 KB · Views: 72

Oh okay I had it wrong then. I thought the plug had flat sides. 6 of them. If im looking at the correct images you linked to they are more rounded than flat.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegHeres som more progress pics. Still wet sanding and adding glazing putty to smooth out imperfections. Also cut out a cardboard template for my sideplates.

So after many nights of sanding and applying filler and gazing putty I was finall able to get some paint on the bowcaster body. What a differerence! Thank you Kurtyboy for the advice about sanding this down. Im very happy with the results. Still a couple of small areas to fix but its looking a lot better. Gonna wet sand with 400 then spray it with satin black. While the paint was drying i started making my imperial discs( just thick washers glued together.)Still lots to do. Ordering the fender knob and the philmore knob tonight. As far as the other camera knobs ill either substitute what i can or see what i can find. This is going to be a half scratch build and half found parts. Well less than half found parts! Lol I know the body doesent look exactly like a horton magnum but I feel i got close compared to where and what I started with.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    756 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99

Working on getting knobs together. Fender is on the way but im having trouble with the philmore and other various camera knobs. Anyone have a philmore they can spare? Cant seem to find one on a site that dosent require buying 12 or 20 dollar minimum.thanks.

Search ebay for amplifier knobs and wade through a few dozen pages. That's what I do!

Yeah been looking there. Just looking for the large philmore and witches hat knob. Trying not to spend a small fortune on these.

I really like your progress here. Hoping to find a decent crossbow frame in the future, too. Keep this project going, I think it will turn out great:thumbsup

Thanks Andy
Its slow going may do some work on it today. Fixing small imperfections then a final wetsand then primer. Then still have to build the scope mount the front barrel assembly make the bow.............so much to do. I have a Barnett about the same size and may use the bow as a guide for length and curve.

Finally found the two major knobs i needed. The fender and the big philmore style knob both on ebay. Still sanding out the imperfections on the caster. I also wetsanded and polished the cone for my resin singlepoint. The cone was not cast very well. Was still sticky and vey wonky looking. Coverd in fingerprints when you handled it. All in all pretty ugly so i decided what the hell cant make it worse so sanded it with 320 400 and 600. Then used a polishing wax then a plastic polish. Only thing is theres no red filament in it. Was thinking of drilling into it and filling the hole with red paint. Anywhere i drill into the plastic i think will be cloudy. Any ideas

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 96
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back