Chewbaccas bowcaster build...FINISHED!

Re: Chewbaccas bowcaster build

Is the Explorer made from the same plastic as the Safari Magnum and Safari Magnum Express? Automotive primer and paint sticks to those no problem

the last option I used was I took a piece of the cut out to a body shop supply store thinking since they work with so many different types of plastic they would know what would stick, they ran a quick test on it and said there is nothing that would work.
so you used regular/general auto body primer? or was it a special type?

Regular acrylic from a spray can.
Halfords own brand that I use on just about everything I build.

Wow kurtyboy you sanded and ground the crap out of that! Looks great. I never noticed the film version was so much thinner at the bottom front than the safari. Id like to get mine close to that. Any suggestions?

Dremel, course files and lots of filling/sanding!

I didn't even have a dremel at the time.

Hi
thank you for the pics kurtyboy. I took inspiration from you and reshaped my grip and squared off more on the front. Liking it more now. Do need to get a rasp file though. Heres pics any opinions welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 115

Im glad you want to take the plunge as well. Mine probably wont look like kurts though, but im sure theres room for variations! Lol

Still cutting on this thing. Cut out the stock. Arms sore as anything. Heading out to hardware store for impliments of destruction and do some carving and sanding.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 77

More done today! Really underestimated how much material i needed to remove! I feel like i shaved a pound of plastic off the frame so far. Went out and picked up rasp files, sanding drums for the drill and grinding bits. Cut out more in the stock using the hacksaw and thr rasp files. Cut and thinned out the foward handgrip. Still more cutting and shaping to do now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    879.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    879.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65

Nice job!
Btw any ideas which crossbow was used for TFA or it was custom-made? First thing that catches my eye when looking at new BC is completely different handle and different side scopes.

Thanks.Im not sure. I have a wallpaper on my laptop which shows han and chewie and it shows some of chewies bowcaster. The sidescopes look a little different and the singlepoint scope looks as if the cone on the end is lit up.

Nice job!
Btw any ideas which crossbow was used for TFA or it was custom-made? First thing that catches my eye when looking at new BC is completely different handle and different side scopes.

The TFA BC is based of the Barnet Commando, which was also believed to be the correct x-box for the OT BC at some time.

More cleanup work today. Stock is pretty much thinned and cleaned out. Did more cutting and filing of the foregrip. Might rework the curve where the foregrip starts but not sure if i want to start that. Still more cleanup an plastic removal that needs to be done. Id like to start the actual build but dont want to jump the gun untill im happy with stock. Im just impatient! Lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104

Hi again
updating the build. Resculpting the front end with polyester body filler. Using rasp files and drill with sanding drum for the rough shaping. Also thinned out the butt of the stock as well. Still more shaping and filling to go but im starting to see how its going to look.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91

Does anyone here know the size or length of the bow itself? Cant find any info here and my google fu is no good! Lol i have an old barnett xbow that is roughly the same size as the horton. Might just use that measurement to start from. In photos the bow itself looks bigger than my Barnett

Does anyone here know the size or length of the bow itself? Cant find any info here and my google fu is no good! Lol i have an old barnett xbow that is roughly the same size as the horton. Might just use that measurement to start from. In photos the bow itself looks bigger than my Barnett

My Horton Safari bow is roughly the same length as the stock itself, 27" ish (just measured REALLY roughly with a plastic ruler lol)

Thank you for the info. Ill measure my Barnett bow by taping a peice of paper the length of the bow then measuring the paper. Between both measurements i should have a good idea.

Been looking at info on the Single Point Scope. Is the correct one the one with the screw cap covers?

Ok no new pics. Bow caster hasn't really moved along yet. Still resculpting the front of the bow but its slow going. I did get a strip of aluminum about 1/8th thick for the bow itself and the pinky high bounce balls came in the mail the other day. I now have a resin singlepoint. It dosent have the screw caps just the knurled knobs. the cone on the end is clear but a bad cast. I'm substituting my own cap and may sand off the knobs in favor of using hardware store screw covers but his may be asking for more trouble than its worth. Ill post pics today.

Hi all
working more on just making my horton explorer into chewies bowcaster. Finally nearing the end on resculpting the front end. Im also getting tired of sanding! Lol
need to get feedback on how its looking so far. I think its looking more accurate but it won be screen accurate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back