Chewbaccas bowcaster build...FINISHED!

Re: Chewbaccas bowcaster build

None of my dimensions will be any good to you from the Horton Magnum. Even the Safari Magnum will be different.

Thank you
heres pics with markings where i need measurements.

I've got a Horton Safari myself, but these are the dimensions I've taken of mine. Hope that kinda helps. :)

hortonsafari_sidepaneldimensions.jpg

Thank you thats what i was looking for. Wanted to see how my horton explorer compared to the safari in those areas. Threre are differences but ill make them work.

Thank you thats what i was looking for. Wanted to see how my horton explorer compared to the safari in those areas. Threre are differences but ill make them work.

Hello all
Been a while since ive been here. I saw the new star wars last thursday and loved it! So ive been inspired to build Chewbaccas bowcaster. After doing some research it seems the base for Chewies weapon is the Horton Safari Magnum? Like everything else Star Wars these seem to be few and far between. So i found a horton explorer xl 150 frame. Stripped down frame. No bow or anything looks to me like a good starting point. Trying to keep the build under a hundred if i can. Ordered the pink high bounce balls as well. Looking for single point scope if not too much money or ill build my own. Heres a pic of the Horton.

Good find! Where have you found yours? :thumbsup

I bought it on a popular online auction site that not many here like. It is a horton but not a safari. Gonna need some imagination and elbow grease to make it work. Oh and Bondo, lots of bondo lol! Have the two side scopes ( cheapie aluminum ones but they look close) and working on locating a single point scope. Ill start cutting the frame this weekend.

Going by recent sales on that site I'd say you will be looking in excess of £100 just for that scope.

Yeah had to stop bidding on one cause it was getting expensive. Im working on building one and looking at a resin scope. May just bite the bullet and get the resin one.

Yeah had to stop bidding on one cause it was getting expensive. Im working on building one and looking at a resin scope. May just bite the bullet and get the resin one.

The resin one is probably your best bet if you're aiming for accuracy but wanting to keep the budget down. I got freakin' lucky and found a guy on the RPF who lived near me and had all the main pieces but never started the build. If you need any more help with reference, etc, let me know, I've been building a bit of an archive here lol.

Are you on a budget, or is it a try to see how cheap it CAN be made?

If it´s the first - shoot me a PM with your adress, i have a not that bad resin one i don´t need anymore due to having some real ones.

Hi all heres my scopes got two of these. Think they look pretty good. Close to 11 inches

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    795.2 KB · Views: 98

Hi all happy new year. Im still gathering parts and planning my build strategy. The front on this needs to be reworked. The foregrip is molded into the front and makes thw front rounded.
As you can see in the pic it is more round than flat. Im planning to cut the grip and then flatten out the rounded areas giving a more squared off look. Any advice on howvto do this or just leave it as it is?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 92

Ok began working on the bocaster frame. I used a grinding wheel to flatten the side in the front. Smoothed it out with a file and sandpaper. Also started making the cutouts in rhe frame.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98

More work on the bowcaster today. Cut out the front area today. More cutting to do.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108

I have a mold for a Horton Safari, scope and some barrel mounting pieces. In case anyone was wondering. :)

Scott

Hi all. Been pouring over horton safari pics and other bowcaster builds and right now it appears the space i cut is too big. I have plans to add filler and sculpt a curve inside te cutout area but the taper that i see on the real bowcaster front and grip are different. Knew this when i started. Im thinking of flattening the grip a little more and maybe resecting the front to make it a little narrower. HAvent been able to find dimensions if the front end and the cutout area. If someone could point me in the direction for those that would help greatly. Or should i scrap it all and wait for a horton safari( could be a long wait!)

I have looked around and found nothing that sticks to this plastic, I even tried adhesion promoters and it did nothing. I would like to know how they painted these, what primer they used.

Is the Explorer made from the same plastic as the Safari Magnum and Safari Magnum Express? Automotive primer and paint sticks to those no problem.

Here's my old Safari Magnum before I sold it. Automotive grey primer and satin black from Halfords
horton6.jpg

horton5.jpg

horton4.jpg

horton3.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back