Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

Okay - so this is a question for the crazy people who have cut off the incorrect cockpit tunnel greeblies (Jaitea and Crackerjazz, I think)... am I going bonkers myself, or is the ridge along the top actually off-centre? It's obviously terrible, as it's twice as wide as it should be, and tall rather than recessed. But looking at it now...

From what I can see it seems to be misaligned from the top of the tunnel. It seems offset closer towards the docking ring direction, and away from the mandibles. Maybe by around 2mm.

I'm seeing this when I eyeball it with a ruler. If I overlay a photo of the actual 5 foot model with my Bandai model I've got obvious perspective problems that make it difficult to compare. (ie: my model was photographed using my phone, which means I used a wide angle lens positioned closely to the model itself. This means that the saucer edge seems to be in a completely different place from the full size 5 footer photo)

tunnel.jpg

Later edit - maybe it's not that far off. I'm giving up on deciding this.

Last edited:
Hey, I just thought I'd let everyone know what I ran across at the bookstore. It's a book called Star Wars: Ship Factory. It's a combination book and paper model for the Millennium Falcon. It contains several renders of ILM's Force Awakens Falcon, but the really great thing is that the paper model is printed from ILM's texture maps. This provides EXCELLENT reference on painting the surface. If you wondered oh, where does this streak go, and where does that blaster mark go, you can just reference the paper model and it's movie accurate. It also contains paper models of Kylo Ren's shuttle and the First Order Tie Fighter, which too are printed from ILM's textures.

81caTZx%2BGdL.jpg

Last edited:
Have you got it yet?

How does the sidewalls look?

J

Well, when I found it at the store, you couldn't view the whole print, just the top of the Falcon. The top was 100% ILM's textures, no doubt about it. I assume the rest of the model is too.

It was cheaper to order it from Amazon than buy at the store, so mine arrives Monday. I can take photographs of the sheets when they arrive for you guys.

I got my kighting kit and want to start building. I also have a 144 Slave 1 and a Outrider with light coming soon.
What do most of you do?
In flight with or without the landing gear out? Or parked with or without the ramp down?

I got my kighting kit and want to start building. I also have a 144 Slave 1 and a Outrider with light coming soon.
What do most of you do?
In flight with or without the landing gear out? Or parked with or without the ramp down?
Personally, unless I was going to do a nice diorama, I never want to see a vehicle "parked"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Personally, unless I was going to do a nice diorama, I never want to see a vehicle "parked"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree,....I don't know if it is because of the Bandai kits with all their stands,.....but looking back at the time I spent labouring over landing gear for my Falcons makes me scratch my head,....the Star Wars crafts look their best in flight

J

Well, when I found it at the store, you couldn't view the whole print, just the top of the Falcon. The top was 100% ILM's textures, no doubt about it. I assume the rest of the model is too.

It was cheaper to order it from Amazon than buy at the store, so mine arrives Monday. I can take photographs of the sheets when they arrive for you guys.

Has the book arrived,....is it worth getting Daniel?

EDIT:....NO NEED TO BUY THIS FOR REFERENCE FOR PORTSIDE REFERENCE

The images in the book have mirrored details the same as the info Bandai got from LFL

16265641_10154062110821459_2345976565307899147_n.jpg

16142675_10154062110746459_8616993655081557022_n.jpg

J

Last edited:
Okay, guys -
Having bought and mostly built this thing over a year ago, I've finally started painting.
No pics as of now - I'm a luddite.
I might be able to talk my Dad into taking some pics and emailing them to me, so I can post them here, but I'm impatient, so there probably won't be many "in-progress" pics.
So I'll describe what i've done so far, and what my intentions are.
No lighting, because I'm cheap and a luddite.

I started by painting the interior (cockpit and gunner stations) navy blue and cool grey.
No black, because I want it to look lit, even though it's not, and I want it "cool" to contrast with the "warm" dirty white I intend to paint the exterior.
Plus, I think a navy is more to scale than black.
I didn't spend a whole lot of time on details, because I'm glassing it anyway, so you won't even see what little I've done.

I mentioned "warm exterior": I want to paint it as I remember it from the first movie, which is basically dirty white - most of the dirt being, well, dirt.
So I made a custom primer out of 1/2 primer grey and 1/2 dark tan (I'm using Testors Model Master Acrylics, because that's all I ever paint with anymore, because that shiz is the BOMB, no matter what anyone says).
Right now what I'm doing is a pre-primer shading. I made a nasty "used oil" blackish-brown with some old enamels I had lying around, and I'm smooshing that into all the hard-to-reach places like service bays and access panels and the docking doors and side panels, so that when I prime it (I intend on priming it lightly) the places the airbrush doesn't hit will have some shading. Then I'll paint white with a drop of tan and a half-drop of grey over it all. Hopefully it will give me some nice subtle shading without having to resort to washes, which I think would look a bit cartoonish at this scale. I've never done this before, so we'll see how it turns out.

I intend to do the bulk of the staining with water-colors, with the lesser streaks and stuff done with ground-up chalk pastels and a fine paint brush.
Hopefully I can get some pics up in here soon, so you can see what I'm talking about.
If you read all this, thanks! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back