Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

This is a genius use of the stickers. Anyone using this technique for masking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh3_bEU-K2A

I just used this technique on my Red Leader T-70. If you look closely, you can see the masks underneath the blue painters tape.

stripes masking.jpg

[shamelessplug] You can see the full thread here. [/shamelessplug]

SB

Hello members of the rpf....

been working on my bandai falcon since last November (on and off) and was doing some paint work on the engine exhaust. Tried to put in on the hull to see how it looks and found that i could not snap it in place. Am i putting the wrong grills on the wrong spot? cant be cos it wont fit any other way. what could be wrong? is anybody else having same problem?

Scrape any paint off the attachment points. I painted my Bandai Speeder Bike before assembly and had similar problems. These kits are so well engineered and the tolerances are so tight than even a thin coat of paint can cause problems.

That sticker thing? That's when you say, duh, why the heck didn't I think of that. This isn't a model with stickers; it's a model with precut masks.

Some more progress, gunport detailling and well I decided to go another route for the display solution so I reput the underside gun in place :lol

Still some paneling to do :cheers

SAM_2315_zps3e5ch4gh.jpg

SAM_2320_zpsgmpdycgu.jpg

I've only been building models for about a year, started with the Deagastini Falcon and quickly discovered the Bandai kits, and decided to build them in between shipments of the Big falcon for practice weathering, etc.

The Falcon is my 7th Bandi Star Wars kit, and the oneI put the most effort into, even added LED lights to the engines and cockpit. Think I am finally ready to call this one done...what do you think?

IMG_2592.jpgIMG_2594.jpgIMG_2596.jpgIMG_2598.jpgIMG_2600.jpgIMG_2602.jpgIMG_2604.jpgIMG_2608.jpg

Weathering is now done on the top side. First time with oils. I think it came out pretty good. Going to paint and weather my bottom after the top dries.

zmcays.jpg

fnber9.jpg

jj8qh2.jpg

Hard to believe the pile on the left turns into the ship on the right!!!

prm9z.jpg

Hey everyone. hows it going?

I wanted to out an idea i found on youtube about someone using a 1/72 tie fighter cockpit frame to replace the 1/144 MF gun turret window frame. I had to go this route because i had totally botched up one of my gun turret windows trying to make it 'windowless'. If it hasnt been mentioned, i hope this helps.

13686763_10154090379081195_1446902335380939024_n.jpg13681014_10154090380771195_5838540079416617848_n.jpg13769626_10154090381811195_860318014823409308_n.jpg

The Bandai Tie fighter kit comes with two versions of the frame so i used the windowed frame and saved the windowless one for when i build the tie fighter.

Second time around i was more careful and took my time. Last foto is comparison of the original MF gun turret window and the Tie cockpit window.

You will have to sand down the outer ring quite a bit for it to fit and then gun turret assembly to snap into place

Another tip that i am trying is using stickers to detail the gun turret bays and cockpit. I found a jpeg of the gun turret bay decals and printed it on postage sticker paper. The bandai kit gun turret bays are tapered so i had to cut each panel and place it in separately to fit.

View attachment 646595View attachment 646596

I gave it a nice thick gloss coat so it will be more noticeable once the window frame and assembly is put together

thx astroboy :)

the streaks have been made with oilpaint by "502 Abteilung / Starship Filth" and a fine brush.
thx for your interest.

/Unes

Nice! Just a quick question. Did you use the thinners on the oils to get the streaking? if so did it cause any issues with the plastic?

I've not finished the base, but here's my take on the Force Awakens Falcon. The model was primed in Citadel black from a rattle can, with a couple of light base coats of that rare beast Tamiya AS-20. For the panelling I used the supplied water slides, with lots of coats of Microsol. Everything else was completed with multiple pin washes in brown & black, with a couple of spots of soot airbrushed on (it was my first time using an airbrush, so be gentle!), and finally the streaking was a built-up mix of brown & black Gundam real touch markers (these blend up so well, and are very forgiving if you have an incident!).
Looking at some of the other builds of this kit online, it seems to be all too easy to end up with a model that's a little too dark, so I tried to keep the weathering subtle to keep the overall base colour bright. Adding a touch of brown to any black washes also helped to keep the tones warm after the harsh black primer coat.
Anyway, I hope you like the results!

http://i.imgur.com/sGkQ8j2.jpg

Man, that is amazing. I'm about to start my build and I'm now going to base it on your method.

Can I ask whether you clear-coated before doing the washes? If so was it gloss or matt?

Thanks! I gave the kit a light coat of Klear floor polish before the washes, to ensure the paint would run into the details more easily and protect the decals. Everything was sealed with a matte coat when finished.

A sixpack of R2s!

So a pair of Shapeways designers are now selling teeny-tiny R2 units, in three-leg stance, that are correctly scaled (7.6mm) to the 1:144 Bandai Falcon! Perfect for dioramas, etc.
I've ordered a six-pack of R2s from Winup and will let you all know how well they turn out!

625x465_16063767_9407285_1476336920.jpg

I imagine they're going to be an utter pain to paint, especially the dome panels. Probably be easier to make them Evil Black Death Star Droids!

https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/bandai-s-millennium-falcon

UPDATE for December 2016: it appears Disney have asked Shapeways to remove R2-D2, BB8, and C-3PO models from the site, presumably because of the officially licensed 3D prints of those droids now available. So the first link is now dead. No idea if they'll go after the second one as well...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back