Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

I had a Kylo Ren helmet in my cart today, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. They actually had both variants at Target today; with and without dents. I'm wondering which version would be more screen accurate. I was thinking of buying the dented one. I figured that if there are no dents, they could be filled in easily enough with bondo. I ended up putting it back on the shelf and grabbing the OT on bluray instead fwiw.

I used liquid latex because I had it on hand.. Now is a perfect time to get some too, I believe they sell it at Spirit and other Halloween stores. If you use latex I'd suggest you put some color into it to help see where you're placing it. :) .
Yeah, just use latex. I bought some Winsor Newton Masking Fluid for mine. When I looked at the bottle, I thought, "huh, that's the same color as latex." Opened it up, gave it a sniff-- yep, ammonia. It's basically just a very thinned down liquid latex with a drop of yellow color. Goes on very nicely, though.

If someone were to make the vacuum formed lenses for the FOS, how far would you guys suggest it protrudes from the helmet?
Also, do you feel that the "eye" cutouts are good "as is", or are they needing some modifying for a more screen accurate look?
-Robert

Sorry to keep posting this Boba! I don't want to clog up the thread.

Here are the side caps finished sans decals. I'll be printing them out in vinyl and sticking them on I think.
I may have overdone the weathering a little (a lot) but I think it looks pretty damn cool so I'm happy. :)

The visor got some overspray of matte medium on it, so I hit it with some gloss to give it back it's shine. When it's dried up enough I'll go outside and snap some pics in natural lighting.

View attachment 528153View attachment 528154View attachment 528155

What I did to finish it was add some silver weathering.. specks and scratches. The bigger stuff was done with a silver sharpie, and the "cat scratches" were literally scratched in with a dull xacto. I've noticed a lot of replicas have brown splattering on the right side of the helmet. I don't know why it's there but it looks cool so I added it with a cut down chip brush and a thin brown paint.

It was then lightly sealed with Matte medium and then lightly hit with gloss in some areas to bring back a touch of color.

If there are any questions at all for me specifically feel free to PM me. Again, sorry for clogging the thread! :lol

EDIT: Bad news guys. Visor snapped pulling it off of the head form. :cry

Good news guys.. green tinted visor incoming! :lol

no need to appologize for showing off your awesome work on that bucket. Is a great example of how you can take a cheap costume helmet and turn it into something awesome for display!

Eriee D Is this your helmet? If so which version is this? Sorry I went back through the thread but did not see the info on this.

I am loving this helmet! I wan't too excited about it until I saw it in person. I glued it together and sprayed it black and added a metallic mist over the whole thing to darken the silver. I like the added holes and mesh vt did above. Here I thought I was done.

Well I received my Boba helmet that I ordered from Target.com. However, it is missing the upper earcap and rangefinder :facepalm. I live almost 2 hours from the closest Target, but my job will take me to a larger city on Thursday. So I guess I will be Target-hopping after my meeting to try to exchange.

So beware if you end up ordering online, you might be missing some parts.

Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

The funny thing. They're both Rubies. And the $50 one is junk

So, grab the Target one while you can

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is Target getting that other places aren't? Those are made by Rubie's, right? Are these and these the same as the Target ones? Or the Spirit ones? The only Boba headgear they look to have there so far is the crappy old overpriced Rubie's one-piece and a half-mask. So now I find myself wondering about the quality (or lack of) of the flametrooper or Phasma ones... I wan tot order, but I don't want to end up with a lemon.

--Jonah

Got mine today. Was the last one they had, and the top of the stalk ear and stalk was missing.
Picked it up for $15. A new accurate ear and stalk is printing as we speak. Going to see about tinting / dyeing the visor tomorrow if I get the chance.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back