Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

I'm having a hell of a time trying to glue the trooper helmet together. Nothing is bonding to the plastic. Any suggestions folks?

What are you using? And did you rouh up the edges first? I'm planning to use some scrap 1mm sintra to make a reinforcing band along the seam, all glued with a good plastic-repair epoxy.

--Jonah

I picked up Boba Fett and Kylo Ren used the force10 coupon and a Target card. Also they are on sale right now... I think it the lady said they were on sale for $20.

First I tried zap a gap super glue. Then I used weld on plastic cement, then I used pvc cement glue and it peels of too.
the weld on worked on the kylo helmet though.

I whipped up a 3d model of the Stormtrooper aerator/mic tips. I can change it if some better reference comes up.

View attachment 526697View attachment 526698View attachment 526699

I'll put these on Shapeways later, but I need someone to measure the opening in the Rubies helmet so I can scale it.

16.60MM wide 10.5MM tall on the Rubies helmet. That should still leave a decent amount of room for it to fit in. Any chance you'd be willing to share that stl file? I was going to make my own

Would there be any kind of Fett painting tutorial out there? I've always wanted to do one but I'm intimidated with all the layering and different colors.
Years ago I painted a couple of Fett helmets based on info I found at The Dented Helmet. There are templates to be found and even shopping lists of spray paint colors if you're not keen on airbrushing. That place is THE Fett resource, hands down.

I do have an airbrush kit. I didn't really want to join a new forum but I will if I can make a decent Fett helmet for under 50 bucks

If you want to make an accurate bucket, TDH has every resource you'd ever need.

I didn't use any tutorials or really take any pics so sorry about that! I can grab a pic of the paint colors I used if it would help anyone.

I may grab another one when they are back in stock and go for a more "accurate" paintjob.. stencils and what not. I'll be sure to make a thread and post every step along the way for you awesome folks. :)

Here are the minor mods I made to my kylo ren helmet. Took the Velcro out and glued the two halves together, did some subtle rub and buff on a few areas to give the paint more depth, added a grade 5 lens(it might be TOO dark, but it looks cool), and cut out a few morenof the cheek areas and added mesh for ventilation. I had originally planned on using bondo to hide the seam line, but honestly it's not bad at all, you have to be super close to see it. I might do a little more paint work and reinforce the seam on the inside with some styrene, it seems to be a little weak even with the crap ton of epoxy I put on it.dd

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    874.9 KB · Views: 238
IMG_1148.JPGIMG_1145.JPGIMG_1146.JPGI am loving this helmet! I wan't too excited about it until I saw it in person. I glued it together and sprayed it black and added a metallic mist over the whole thing to darken the silver. I like the added holes and mesh vt did above. Here I thought I was done.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back