Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Got mine today. Was the last one they had, and the top of the stalk ear and stalk was missing.
Picked it up for $15. A new accurate ear and stalk is printing as we speak. Going to see about tinting / dyeing the visor tomorrow if I get the chance.

That seems to be the norm at Target. A lot of ppl reporting the ear and stalk missing.

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems to be the norm at Target. A lot of ppl reporting the ear and stalk missing.

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? That's a shame. For me it was awesome. I got this sweet ass bucket for $15, I'll have it 100% in a day or so after printing and finishing. It still needs a lot of work with paint etc though.

Really? That's a shame. For me it was awesome. I got this sweet ass bucket for $15, I'll have it 100% in a day or so after printing and finishing. It still needs a lot of work with paint etc though.

What model are you using for your stalk? If it's publicly available I'd love a link!

It really disappoints me that people are buying these and then just marking them up to try and resell on eBay.

I went to Target today to look for another Boba and the guy I was talking to said a lady picked up all the stock they put out immediately and checked out.

These should at the very least be limited to one per person in stores.

Last edited:
It really disappoints me that people are buying these and then just marking them up to try and resell on eBay.

I went to Target today to look for another Bona and the guy I was talking to said a lady picked up all the stock they put out immediately and checked out.

These should at the very least be limited to one per person in stores.

You think Target cares? As long as they sell. That's all they care about.

Reel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're absolutely right... Still disappointing. :(

It was the same on September 4th, 12:01. I waited in line 2 hours to get in. They let groups of 10 at a time in. I was number 12. By the time the second group was let in, the shelves were empty. I was so pissed. I went for my 7 year old and came home with nothing. Sad!!!!!

Reel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What model are you using for your stalk? If it's publicly available I'd love a link!

They are totally public, I just don't recall where I downloaded them. I'm kind of an internet pack rat. LOL

Here's the link. It requires no sizing, it fits PERFECTLY. Also has a wire chase running the length of the stalk. I'm thinking of running two wires into it for an led light up rangefinder.
That'd be cool right?

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=37139741383392065759

Last edited:
IMAG1112.jpg

Update time. :) The cracked visor was taken out today!

A fair word of warning.. a few actually..

The visor is VERY brittle. It originally cracked pulling it off of my head form. (used in above photos) it cracked again with slight flexing of the helmet. If you plan on wearing this thing, you absolutely need to replace the visor. Not only did it crack easily but the shards were sharp! I would not want that breaking anywhere near, or God forbid on, my face.

Second. It is a lot easier to take it out BEFORE you assemble the helmet permanently. I used a dremel and got it about flush to where the visor sat. If there are some gaps between it and the new visor it won't kill me so I'm not too worried.

Third... Slush casting resin will not assemble the helmet permanently. :lol Used 80 grit sand paper to rough it up and slush cast SC320 into it, and it peeled out like no one's business. I have had silicone molds fight me more than this helmets plastic. However, If it's just for display you should be fine. It didn't come out until I really started handling it.

If anyone is getting ready to tackle this I hope this helps... Don't make my mistakes!!* :lol

Last edited:
Went to my local target again today. Still no sign of them or a place for them to be...

I'd like to see them.

I've been to 2 different targets... Each more than once.

Online each one in our area says "limited availability" but when I call or ask, they say the item # isn't in their system...

Last edited:
My targets have had a limit of 2 "like items" per customer. When I picked mine up this morning there were 2 left. I can swing by tomorrow and pick them up if anyone wants one plus shipping

Slush casting resin will not assemble the helmet permanently. :lol Used 80 grit sand paper to rough it up and slush cast SC320 into it, and it peeled out like no one's business. I have had silicone molds fight me more than this helmets plastic.

PVC like that used for toy helmets tends to be quite slippery, even when roughed up. I recommend a two-part "plastic-repair" epoxy that includes PVC in its list of "will work with". I also use strips of sintra (also a form of PVC) and plain old super glue to back off and reinforce those seams. Independent testing has demonstrated it's one of the best adhesives for sintra and works very well with PVC, too. I then blend the edges into the inside of the helmet with two-part plumbers' epoxy putty (the stuff that's two shades of gray and sets up like concrete). With all three of those things each reinforcing the other, I have very good results. The Hasbro clone trooper and Boba Fett helmets I've modded I've used this technique, and dropped them multiple times on my concrete garage floor and they just bounce. Meanwhile, every time I've fiddled with a fiberglass- or fiberglass resin-reinforced helmet someone's modded, the fiberglass/resin just pops out.

--Jonah

Went to my local target again today. Still no sign of them or a place for them to be...

I'd like to see them.

I've been to 2 different targets... Each more than once.

Online each one in our area says "limited availability" but when I call or ask, they say the item # isn't in their system...

We had the same problem. We ended up having to buy a Stormtrooper helmet online then drive 50 miles to pick it up in store. They had none on the shelves when we got there. Not even a spot for them.

These helmets have been in the seasonal section of each Target I've been to along with the other costume pieces, not the toy aisle. Maybe that's why you're not finding anything for them?

At mine they were first in a special Star Wars section in the back of the store (I assume what they had set up for the Force Friday thing?) but since they put out the seasonal Halloween items the helmets were moved to that area.

The stores around here have just been picked clean. All I've seen, costume wise, was a tiny Finn blaster and a few cheapo kiddie costumes. Almost everything else, except micro machines and die cast ships, has been stripped fromthe shelves.

In regards to those having issues "glueing" the halves together....
Ive successfully "welded" mine together using a cheap soldering iron.
I use this method a lot for joining "like" plastics together.
Nice, since you can apply pressure for a better seam and it rehardens almost immediately.

Do keep in mind though for other projects, not all plastics can be welded like this.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back