Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

If you want to make an accurate bucket, TDH has every resource you'd ever need.

I didn't use any tutorials or really take any pics so sorry about that! I can grab a pic of the paint colors I used if it would help anyone.

I may grab another one when they are back in stock and go for a more "accurate" paintjob.. stencils and what not. I'll be sure to make a thread and post every step along the way for you awesome folks. :)

I'd be interested to know which paints you used, especially if they are are all brands readily available at a store like Lowes, such as Krylon and Rustoleum. I looked at a few of the rattlecan lists on TDH and some of the colors I would have to order online.

View attachment 527659View attachment 527660View attachment 527664I am loving this helmet! I wan't too excited about it until I saw it in person. I glued it together and sprayed it black and added a metallic mist over the whole thing to darken the silver. I like the added holes and mesh vt did above. Here I thought I was done.

Great work.I also like this helmet.But there is one thing I don´t like.That is the tip of the mouthsection.That´s molded wrong.It must be a little bit higher.
I would update this if I had one of this helmets.

23093372xh.jpg

You can actually look at the silver sections too and see that they aren't quite molded right. For a cheap helmet that I put maybe 30 minutes of work into it, and $10 of supplies, im pretty happy with it. I didn't want to get into to much bondo or filling work, I have a bb8 to finish :p

No problem...that is only what I´ve seen on the first look!;)
But its still a nice helmet...with or without upgrades.What a glue did you used for the 2 halves?

I'd be interested to know which paints you used, especially if they are are all brands readily available at a store like Lowes, such as Krylon and Rustoleum. I looked at a few of the rattlecan lists on TDH and some of the colors I would have to order online.
IMG_1410.JPG

Funny you mention that.. I bought every one of these (but the Dupli-color and Pumpkin Orange) at Lowes. :lol

The Dupli-color is very optional, I just used a light mist of it over the Claret Wine to give it a slight metallic sheen.

The colors are Dark Grey primer, Putty. Spruce Green, Dark Hunter Green, Claret Wine primer, Dark Cherry Met, and Outdoor Bright Yellow. Not pictured is Pumpkin Orange, and Krylon Metallic Aluminium.

The weathering was done with FW Inks black, and Tim Gore's Bloodline Dark Ochre. The orange on the kill stripes was pumpkin orange I believe, but I threw the empty can out the other day, sorry!

I'm not sure if these line up with the ones on TDH, I just grabbed colors by eye... I'd like to point out I am no expert on these Boba helmets, and while I appreciate the positive feedback very much.. take everything I say with a grain of salt! TDH should be your main reference if you care at all about accuracy. :)

Ok I need to stop traveling for work and get going on these. You guys are making me jelous. I'm def going to need one of those fett helmets now.

Im also keeping an eye out for a spirit Halloween store 20% off coupon. Want to checkout what gear might be there

Thanks for bringing these up for our notice, yes boba's helmet is flat on the top and some details aren't right but for $30 it's a great start. I went to one target they had a vader, it was ok, I think it would be great to modify into a samari helmet, they had no ren or trooper helmets and only one fett which I picked up and I am glad I got it, I think it will be severly modified in the future, while not perfect I figure it's worth the $

I have the fett bucket. I plan on using window tint for the lens like the kylo. The helmet is the same size as my roto mold helmet from ebay

Yeah if you want a bucket you can see out of just use some window tint on the fett, or stop in somewhere and get a cheap welder's mask (grade 3 or higher is best).

Sorry to keep posting this Boba! I don't want to clog up the thread.

Here are the side caps finished sans decals. I'll be printing them out in vinyl and sticking them on I think.
I may have overdone the weathering a little (a lot) but I think it looks pretty damn cool so I'm happy. :)

The visor got some overspray of matte medium on it, so I hit it with some gloss to give it back it's shine. When it's dried up enough I'll go outside and snap some pics in natural lighting.

IMG_1413.JPGIMG_1415.JPGIMG_1420.JPG

What I did to finish it was add some silver weathering.. specks and scratches. The bigger stuff was done with a silver sharpie, and the "cat scratches" were literally scratched in with a dull xacto. I've noticed a lot of replicas have brown splattering on the right side of the helmet. I don't know why it's there but it looks cool so I added it with a cut down chip brush and a thin brown paint.

It was then lightly sealed with Matte medium and then lightly hit with gloss in some areas to bring back a touch of color.

If there are any questions at all for me specifically feel free to PM me. Again, sorry for clogging the thread! :lol

EDIT: Bad news guys. Visor snapped pulling it off of the head form. :cry

Good news guys.. green tinted visor incoming! :lol

Last edited:
Sorry to keep posting this Boba! I don't want to clog up the thread.

Here are the side caps finished sans decals. I'll be printing them out in vinyl and sticking them on I think.
I may have overdone the weathering a little (a lot) but I think it looks pretty damn cool so I'm happy. :)

The visor got some overspray of matte medium on it, so I hit it with some gloss to give it back it's shine. When it's dried up enough I'll go outside and snap some pics in natural lighting.

What I did to finish it was add some silver weathering.. specks and scratches. The bigger stuff was done with a silver sharpie, and the "cat scratches" were literally scratched in with a dull xacto. I've noticed a lot of replicas have brown splattering on the right side of the helmet. I don't know why it's there but it looks cool so I added it with a cut down chip brush and a thin brown paint.

It was then lightly sealed with Matte medium and then lightly hit with gloss in some areas to bring back a touch of color.

If there are any questions at all for me specifically feel free to PM me. Again, sorry for clogging the thread! :lol

Stop apologizing. I'm enjoying everyone's handiwork in this thread, including yours. :thumbsup

Thinking about getting the Fett helmet and doing this. I'm wondering if the size is the same size as the original prop, though.

Hey MM what kind of masking fluid did you use? I'm really thinking this fett would be a fun weekend project!

I used liquid latex because I had it on hand.. Now is a perfect time to get some too, I believe they sell it at Spirit and other Halloween stores. If you use latex I'd suggest you put some color into it to help see where you're placing it. :)

Thanks Scott D I appreciate it! I have been wondering that myself but can't find any measurements of the hero.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back