Logan's Run ---- Life Clock

Yep, the high detail acrylic can probably just be sanded.

The clear red one.....NOPE. It turns out it is not made of red acrylic. They print it CLEAR and then coat it in clear red LACQUER.

Well that is cheating. :behave We don't need them to do that for us, besides what if we wanted green instead. No, it would be better to just ship it clear.

Yep, the high detail acrylic can probably just be sanded.

The clear red one.....NOPE. It turns out it is not made of red acrylic. They print it CLEAR and then coat it in clear red LACQUER.

Is sanding even an option at this scale? And RE clear, if you are going to cast it I would pay for detail not for transparency.

RE the crystal itself, one thing I note in even the poorest copies is that the center is deeper, that the outer crystals stick up much higher than the inner ones.

I would think getting the polish done by the right print would be the most satisfactory result. I can't imagine trying to get in among the crystal facets with sandpaper and keep all the crystal faces flat.

Also, is the diameter of this print a bit too large?

I have no plans to do anything to the crystal facets. jintosh was worried that the bottom dome is too big. If I was to polish the facets, I would use a polishing buffer wheel. As for the diameter, we'll have to see when he gets the printed one.

I would think getting the polish done by the right print would be the most satisfactory result. I can't imagine trying to get in among the crystal facets with sandpaper and keep all the crystal faces flat.

Also, is the diameter of this print a bit too large?

I just measured several of mine. They are roughly 18 centimeters in diameter, or roughly 3/4". So I guess it's just me.

Mine are also 18mm wide (I'm guessing the centimetre measurement was just a typo)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
image 3.jpeg

This is SiR's diagram. So, in it, is A to B 18mm ? Or 20 ? Guess I should have verified that first. :rolleyes

View attachment 592254

This is SiR's diagram. So, in it, is A to B 18mm ? Or 20 ? Guess I should have verified that first. :rolleyes

Sorry, yes - when I remeasured all of the crystals, the average width seems to be between 18 and 19 mm (due to poor moulding or finishing on my part perhaps). But I honestly didn't think that anyone was going ahead with 3D production based solely on my calculations, especially as no one really acknowledged my posts after the first one.

Sorry, yes - when I remeasured all of the crystals, the average width seems to be between 18 and 19 mm (due to poor moulding or finishing on my part perhaps). But I honestly didn't think that anyone was going ahead with 3D production based solely on my calculations, especially as no one really acknowledged my posts after the first one.

I wish I could produce high quality prototypes myself. It would be cheaper AND I wouldn't have to wait so long for a physical product.

I was hoping even a $300 printer would do a better job than it did. I didn't want to spend $1200 and up for a nice one.

By the way, I was told by a Facebook contact who worked on the movie that the central area doesn't have a flat plain on which rest the 5 central crystals: he said the crystals touch the outer crystals. I've made a revision reflecting that change. It also means I've lost the central pyramid, but I have to admit that I have no evidence that the central pyramid even existed: it might just be an artifact of bad copying. Waiting to hear his feedback. Attached is a render of the revision. I must say I prefer it with the flat spot and center pyramid.

LR crystal no space.png

Might I ask how long it took to print? I've had stuff printed but have never known how long the process takes.

I printed at 100 micron layers and it took about 1 hour. But mine is a cheap printer...a better printer could probably print faster.

By the way, I was told by a Facebook contact who worked on the movie that the central area doesn't have a flat plain on which rest the 5 central crystals: he said the crystals touch the outer crystals. I've made a revision reflecting that change. It also means I've lost the central pyramid, but I have to admit that I have no evidence that the central pyramid even existed: it might just be an artifact of bad copying. Waiting to hear his feedback. Attached is a render of the revision. I must say I prefer it with the flat spot and center pyramid.

View attachment 592703

We don't have pictures of the Hero crystal. Your crystal is getting pretty far away from what we're calling the "extra's" crystal.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back