New guy taking the plunge with the Falcon...

contenderfan

Hello to everyone, My name is Mike, and I am from Indiana. Ive been lurking around the boards for a while and decided to join up. Im 45 and have been trying to get back into modeling for some time now. I became single about 9 months ago, so that has presented the opportunity to go foward with my old modeling habit from way back. I ordered the Fine Molds 1:72 Millennium Falcon just before Thanksgiving, along with the ParaGrafix PE set to go with it, they should be here this coming week. And, wile I was out and about last night in my local Wa-Mart, I just happened to run across the Hasbro Falcons on sale, so I got two of them. One went in the closet, the other I took apart and started cutting the windows out of the cockpit. My plans are to light both the FM and Hasbro Falcons, which should be interesting as I have never worked with lighting before. Hopefully before too long I will have a new camera to take progress pics with.Wish me luck, I hope I can do half as good a job as some of the examples i have seen on the forums.

Last edited:
Welcome, and good luck with the Falcon!

I did a lot of modeling when I was a kid, and I'm slowly trying to get back into it. I found the Falcon to be a bit intimidating, so I'm starting with some of the smaller FM kits.

But good on ya diving into the deep end!

Sean

You know what Mike, the exact thing happened to me, I only returned to model making after my wife & I split, she didn't like me getting interested in anything, in the early years of our relationship she was OK with my hobby, but when we had our second kid and the hobby room was needed for a bedroom , I think she thought that she was seeing the model making ending

Now I have full custody of my eldest & get my daughter 2 days on 2 days off, I have the luxury of model working as much as I like....depending on real life work

Looking forward to seeing what you do

John

Yeah John, that was pretty much what i had to deal with for 12 years...if it was something i was interested in and took time away from her or what she thought i should be doing, then it just wasnt gonna fly. Lol. Thnks for the welcome aboard, looking foward to it!

Well my Fine Molds 1:72 Falcon came yesterday, no progress to show on it as of yet as I still need to gather some more stuff to start the build. I spent yesterday evening just going over the instructions and planning what I want to do. I was so impressed with the quality of the kit that I went ahead and ordered the 1:144 Falcon also just for giggles. (found one for $40 so I said what the heck...) Im thinking a future diorama of some type with the 1:144 Falcon...lighted also of course. :)
I have a few nice large scale kits in my stash, but I havent been this excited about a kit/build since I ordered the Trumpeter 1:35 scale Leopold Rail Way Gun (Im saving that one for a later date). Next on the order list will be a lighting kit for the Falcon, and I need to pick up some more sheet styrene etc....Im really looking foward to getting started on it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back