Alien: Isolation

Militaries of today uses 60+ year old tech on a daily basis ;)
Example: the B52 bomber. Made in the 1950's, they are still in service

Yes, the B-52 is still in service but none of the original 50s vintage are, we're currently on the H models which the last of which rolled off the assembly lines during the early 60s and have been upgraded and practically rebuilt a number of times since then. I think that everybody is misunderstanding my argument, I'm not saying that we don't still use 60 year old or tech that originally came about 60 years ago, we do but the shape and form of it isn't the same. In terms of this game, would motion trackers exist 30 some odd years before Aliens, sure, why not, but it shouldn't and almost certainly wouldn't be the same exact model used 30 or so years down the line, it could resemble it but it shouldn't be exactly like it. Same argument goes for borrowing wholesale from Alien, anything that might be used in the game that's exactly like what we saw in Alien is equally unbelievable since that would put any given item at least 20(?) years old by the time of the game and who knows how long it's been around when we first saw it in Alien.

I'm not arguing that it's bad that they borrow from the aesthetics of Alien over Aliens just that it should be limited to aesthetics but not wholesale props and costumes or something that looks like it's been borrowed from one or the other. Given the time period most everything in the game should really look like a blend between the two movies since it's set pretty squarely between both movies in terms of timeline.

I'm not arguing that it's bad that they borrow from the aesthetics of Alien over Aliens just that it should be limited to aesthetics but not wholesale props and costumes or something that looks like it's been borrowed from one or the other. Given the time period most everything in the game should really look like a blend between the two movies since it's set pretty squarely between both movies in terms of timeline.

Well, the story is meant to take place somewhere in between the two, so it makes sense there'd be a little bit of both in the game.

Same with M203 grenade launcher.
M1911 pistol was in service for over 70 years.

Drive fast.
But don't drive off cliffs.
Trust me on this one.

M16 rifle is 50 years old. Still in field use.

True but it's not the same M16 that first entered service some 50 years ago, we're on the A4(?) now and is largely superseded by the M4 in Army service. The 1911 did receive some minor changes over the years but I'll agree that it remained largely unchanged and some of the 1911s in service were quite old. However, there's a world of difference between a gun, which is a purely mechanical device, and a digital/electronic device like a motion tracker.

The closest real life analogue to the motion tracker is the modern field radio like the PRC77 which entered service in the late 60s but was largely being replaced by SINCGARS during the 90s. So chances are very unlikely that the Colonial Marine Corps issue motion tracker is 30+ year old unit, basic tech wise it may be that old but I highly doubt that the unit itself is that old.

15 years after the original film according to the press release. That's the year 2137.

Even so, there's more of the first film in the game than there is the second one. But, again, this game takes place within that 57 year gap, so naturally, there'd be a little of both films in there (including a go-between version of the motion trackers).

Even so, there's more of the first film in the game than there is the second one. But, again, this game takes place within that 57 year gap, so naturally, there'd be a little of both films in there (including a go-between version of the motion trackers).

I was merely stating which particular year, nothing else ;)

Alien 2122
AlienS: 2179

This game is really surprising me in how faithful to ALIEN it seems to be, however the idea that it isn't taking anything after it as canon ("Creative Assembly claim to have ignored every development in the franchise that followed Ridley Scott's movie. That means no pulse rifles, no jarheads, no queens, Praetorians, predaliens, and so on") is hogwash as Amanda herself is a creation of James Cameron, and a quick look at her welding tool in the footage shows a clear Aliens influence in the design. But that's all fine in my book, and as a proud owner of a drinking bird and blue Hoptimist I was thrilled to see such small details being recreated. I'd bet money that sites like the RPF, Aliens Legacy and Prop Summit are in part responsible for this as they've done a lot of the hard work digging up these tidbits. In any case, it looks like Creative Assembly is much more trusting in the source material than Gearbox ever was. Why make an Aliens game and then modify all the Marine's equipment to be different from what fans saw (and loved) in the film?

I just realized a lot of my points have already been made on the second page of this thread (which in my haste I forgot to read). Sorry folks!

On the one hand, it looks incredibly faithful and is exactly the kind of thing we need from this franchise.

On the other hand, Colonial Marines looked just as promising six months out, too.

So cautious optimism aside, I think I'll wait for actual hands-on impressions and reviews from gamers rather than press. I need to see that it's actually good before buying into it. And these days, that's not so much to ask... I'm on NeoGAF, and they'll have a million and one impressions on day one, so I won't be putting it off that long if it ends up being worth it.

On the one hand, it looks incredibly faithful and is exactly the kind of thing we need from this franchise.

On the other hand, Colonial Marines looked just as promising six months out, too.

So cautious optimism aside, I think I'll wait for actual hands-on impressions and reviews from gamers rather than press. I need to see that it's actually good before buying into it. And these days, that's not so much to ask... I'm on NeoGAF, and they'll have a million and one impressions on day one, so I won't be putting it off that long if it ends up being worth it.

About 10 years ago, I started distrusting review sites. They always seemed to give good reviews to mediocre AAA titles, and mediocre reviews to smaller companies' titles. I also began to distrust players who'd rave on Day 1, and then rant on Day 30. I decided that the best approach was to pre-order almost nothing, and to wait for at least a month or two after release, at which point the shine would be off the new toy, and the REAL value of the game would show through.

I generally do the same, but sometimes you let the hype overwhelm you, and end up buying something on day one that just isn't worth it. That, and considering how many games I never finish, I really need to start being more picky about what I buy.

I never did understand why people even read/listen to reviews. It's just one person's opinion, and honestly, their opinion doesn't matter. Only YOUR own opinion matters and there is no one, no one else in this world who has the exact same taste in movies/games/whatever as you. A billion wrongs don't make a single right.

The game might look perfect, sound perfect, heck even the AI might be the best ever and simulate the xenomorph perfectly but if the gameplay sucks, none of the rest can save it.

I never did understand why people even read/listen to reviews. It's just one person's opinion, and honestly, their opinion doesn't matter. Only YOUR own opinion matters and there is no one, no one else in this world who has the exact same taste in movies/games/whatever as you. A billion wrongs don't make a single right.

The game might look perfect, sound perfect, heck even the AI might be the best ever and simulate the xenomorph perfectly but if the gameplay sucks, none of the rest can save it.

I value reviews for two things.

1. Advance information before I buy. It's not just about whether they liked or disliked the game, but rather what they liked/disliked, and how they described it. The review may describe in-game mechanics that the reviewer loves, but I know I'll hate. In that case, it doesn't matter what the reviewer thought, but rather that I found out there's this game mechanic that exists. Like, in an RTS title, the reviewer might say "One of the best features is the fact that you literally cannot pause the game ever, let alone issue orders to troops while paused. This is TRUE real-time strategy!" And I'd say to myself "Pass," because I like being able to pause the game. But the reviewer knows this stuff because they have access, and I don't.

2. If I find a reviewer whose taste matches my own (rare these days), then their opinion is worthwhile most of the time.

Outside of those purposes, meh. It's shilling as far as I can tell.

This game is really surprising me in how faithful to ALIEN it seems to be, however the idea that it isn't taking anything after it as canon ("Creative Assembly claim to have ignored every development in the franchise that followed Ridley Scott's movie. That means no pulse rifles, no jarheads, no queens, Praetorians, predaliens, and so on") is hogwash as Amanda herself is a creation of James Cameron, and a quick look at her welding tool in the footage shows a clear Aliens influence in the design. But that's all fine in my book, and as a proud owner of a drinking bird and blue Hoptimist I was thrilled to see such small details being recreated. I'd bet money that sites like the RPF, Aliens Legacy and Prop Summit are in part responsible for this as they've done a lot of the hard work digging up these tidbits. In any case, it looks like Creative Assembly is much more trusting in the source material than Gearbox ever was. Why make an Aliens game and then modify all the Marine's equipment to be different from what fans saw (and loved) in the film?

They're not pretending this stuff won't go on to happen, but they're sticking to the aesthetic, tone and design of the original only.

BTW, reading this has just made me remember, there were some very positive hands-on reviews of A:CM by journalists, weren't there? They were playing the multiplayer mode a few months before release.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back