ALIEN: ROMULUS News And Updates!

It’s a big universe. If the Engineers made the Alien as a weapon, who were they fighting? Seems the scope is wide open.
Must agree that character development, along with good actors and plot is critical. Special effects adds to the movie but by itself it can not carry the load.

Hmm, unless you expect them to someday retcon* Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, I understood them to be telling us that the Engineers did not make the Alien. They made that black stuff that created life on Earth, and that they were planning to use it again to wipe out humanity as a "failed experiment".

And then the android David went mad and conducted a bunch of hybridization experiments with the black stuff, leading to the creation of the Alien we now know.

* They won't be retconning those while Ridley Scott remains a producer of Alien films.

This trailer comes off as being the closest we’ll get to a live action film version of Alien: Isolation. I’m interested in seeing this.

The interview with the director said the station is actually 2 stations, one old and one new (Romulus and Remus) so you have both the old Nostromo era and something newer but both are abandon and with a hint of a bio-weapons research facility on board. (hence the bugs)
Movie takes place 20 years after Alien.

Like the first film all the sets are fully enclosed and most of the FX are practical.

Well, the audience wants compelling humans, too. If you don't have a Hicks, Hudson, Bishop, Drake, and Vasquez to go with your Ripley, the killings become super dull. Anyone remember anything about Crowe or Wierzbowski? Gotta develop those characters!
^^
This! Absolutely(y)(y) Let's invest ourselves with those characters before they're cut open in the prime of their existence:lol:

The teaser trailer is awesome. But I do have concerns about the story. We'll see though. I've seen all of the director's movies except for one. The others are worth checking out for horror fans. Going by the teaser trailer, this Alien movie is as well.

Will it be as good as Alien and Aliens? Kind of doubtful as those are two of the best horror movies if not best movies ever. And they are attempting to place a story in between those. I will stick to thinking that the only story we needed after Alien and Aliens is the origin of the crashed ship. Which after like six movies we still don't have.

I'm going to need a really smart explanation for the Alien eggs to be on a Space Station. It will make for a good horror movie. Yes. But will it make sense in the scope of Alien and Aliens? That's what we'll see.

Another group of people get eaten on a spaceship. Hasn’t this been done to death.

I’m an original Alien franchise fan (among those disappointed by A3 in ‘92).

They could have done something great with Covenant. But it was “another group of people get eaten” oh and an angry robot created the Xenomorph.

Talk about shrinking your franchise universe.

Were the Xenomorphs a physical manifestation of an extra-universal realm based on pure emotions? A realm that the engineers accidentally tapped in to in their experimentation on dna, life and souls? Is that why the Giger shapes are so revolting and attractive at the same time? Is it from an unexplainable realm beyond space and time, inhabited by what humans call Gods? Does this extra-universal realm predate the universe and all else that we know? Do the grotesquely beautiful shapes hold higher philosophical meaning? What other mysteries lurk in this realm to be discovered?

No.

An angry robot made them. Just 18 years before Ripley encounters it on the Nostromo. They are not some ancient bioweapon, not some perfect creature honed by billions of years of predatory evolution. Just an experiment probably younger than you, created by an angry Earth robot.

Talk about shrinking your universe.

Yeah lets watch another group of people get eaten and ignore the awesome mystery and philosophical angles this franchise could have provided us.

The Alien movie franchise has turned into the AVP movie franchise.

Here is a person being eaten. Be scared. And don’t be older than 14.

Last edited:
Gold IMO Ridley did diminish the mystery with the introduction of the engineers. If you recall the floor in ALIEN where we first see the space jockey, it’s very uneven and not conducive for walking on. The awe-inspiring mystery of the whole bio-mech is lost with the space jockey (which is clearly not separate from the machine) being just engineers suit. The derelict ship floor we see in Prometheus is completely changed and smoothed out. And yes the xenomorph origin was better left to the imagination.

Laspector Agreed--the imagination is better than what they came up with.

Here's another set shot.

Attachments

• ALR-BTS-0F2.jpg
    ALR-BTS-0F2.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 45
I thought the mystery of the ship in Alien with all those facehugger eggs, plus how the signal wasn't an sos but a warning would be the story of Prometheus. But I also never thought that the Space Jockey would be a humanoid in a suit.

Supposedly, the planet in Prometheus was supposed to be the same planet in Alien and Aliens. And the ship that crashed at the end of Prometheus the original crashed ship. But they changed the story to attempt to stretch out the series and came very close to killing it.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the different Alien depending on the host. Nor the black substance that can create different types of monsters. And I really don't like what the series seems to be suggesting. Namely, that androids or AI secretly run Weyland Yutani with the ultimate goal of using Aliens to wipe out humanity.

And I might as well add that I hate what they did to Elizabeth Shaw in Alien Covenant even more than the beginning of Alien 3. As Alien 3 was just some corporate decision or not caring about the story in Aliens. Alien Covenant was a we are going to make the hero of the last movie stupid. It's at the level of stupid as the ending in that last Friday the 13th remake / reboot.

Gold IMO Ridley did diminish the mystery with the introduction of the engineers. If you recall the floor in ALIEN where we first see the space jockey, it’s very uneven and not conducive for walking on. The awe-inspiring mystery of the whole bio-mech is lost with the space jockey (which is clearly not separate from the machine) being just engineers suit. The derelict ship floor we see in Prometheus is completely changed and smoothed out. And yes the xenomorph origin was better left to the imagination.
Excellent observation and comments regarding the Space Jockey and the derelict ship design. HR Giger’s bio-mechanical art work was unique as well as his fetish. Perfectly woven into the entire story of Alien and Aliens. While I enjoyed Prometheus, the xenomorph origin and bio-mech ship design mysteries were much better left alone.

Supposedly, the planet in Prometheus was supposed to be the same planet in Alien and Aliens. And the ship that crashed at the end of Prometheus the original crashed ship. But they changed the story to attempt to stretch out the series and came very close to killing it.

Well actually; "Acheron, formerly known as LV-426, was one of three moons orbiting the gas giant Calpamos in the Zeta Reticuli system, 39 light years away from Earth." ;)

Would have been sweet if they ignored every sequel/prequel and only stuck with ALIEN and ALIENS.
PERHAPS tie it in loosely with Alien Isolation.
Started replaying it again. It looks great in 10K resolution(downscaled a bit here, for some unknown reason):
AlienIsolation 10K-02.jpg

Hmm, unless you expect them to someday retcon* Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, I understood them to be telling us that the Engineers did not make the Alien. They made that black stuff that created life on Earth, and that they were planning to use it again to wipe out humanity as a "failed experiment".

And then the android David went mad and conducted a bunch of hybridization experiments with the black stuff, leading to the creation of the Alien we now know.

* They won't be retconning those while Ridley Scott remains a producer of Alien films.
According to Ridley Scott, the Engineers have fostered life on several planets--including Earth--using the black goo. The opening scene of Prometheus shows and engineer drinking something and dissolving into the waterfall. That 'something" was supposed to be the blood of the first Deacon (which allowed the millions-of-years-old Engineer race to reproduce themselves again after having evolved and lost their ability to reproduce sexually) and once that blood ran out they synthesized it, which became the black goo. It's meant to contain basically ALL strands of DNA that there are in the universe; basically a Swiss Army Knife for creating life. The Engineers noticed that it had varying reactions with different species, and noted that it seemed to bring out heightened aggression in Humans, so they were attempting to isolate and remove that bit from the goo.
As you've said, David then came along and tampered with it, isolating and PROPOGATING the aggressive components and refining them to create his "perfect organism"--the Xeno.

The Engineers had hoped that they could steer Humans toward evolving to be like themselves, but after several attempts (including, apparently, taking Baby ***** to their homeworld, training him in the meaning of life and sending him back to Earth--yes, that was actually in an early draft of the script!) they decided it was hopeless and planned to use the goo to remove all non-botanical life on Earth and start again.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back