Alien: Isolation

This is looking great. I absolutely loved Amnesia, Amnesia 2, and Outlast, and Alien: Isolation is looking like it will have a very similar feel. I'm honestly not really concerned with how much sense the story makes or whether or not it's considered canon, I just want it to be fun. And so far, this is looking like it will be a blast.

Torrens crew:

1544453_1435779266654050_1592042347_n.png

The attention to detail is really nice looking, especially on the clothing. The jumpsuit with all the zippers, the old style Weyland Yutani logo, and even the motion tracker has details reminiscent of the ice cube tray details of the original tracker!

The key's in the name. Creative Assembly claim to have ignored every development in the franchise that followed Ridley Scott's movie.

Except for the character of Amanda Ripley who was created by James Cameron for ALIENS, hand held motion tracker with a 90º field of view and, and judging from the supplied game play footage, ALIENS sound effects. Now, I'm not saying this to say that they're wrong, but I think the failure of ALIENS: Colonial Marines has gotten to the point where they're being a tad bit disingenuous to ALIENS. Their points about weapons and technology not being the number one solution is practically the entire set up and pay off of ALIENS! Cameron and his team designed all these weapons and all these gadgets to the point they had scenes where the marines do nothing but brag about them only to have them rendered almost.

no pulse rifles, no jarheads, no queens, Praetorians, predaliens, and so on.

You forgot Engineers. Saying that probably would have netted this title "Game of the Year" already.

Aliens was a really well-designed movie, but it's aesthetic does tend to overwhelm the also beautifully made Alien in terms of popular culture. I think that pulling back to the first movie alone is an amazing idea. I'm sure some elements of subsequent movies will sneak in, that can't be helped.

Good to see some praise online for the old Alien 8bit game too.

I hope that they don't include too many of Aliens aesthetics into this games, esp. in terms of props given that this game is set some 40 years or so before the events of Aliens take place and I don't think that everything we saw in Aliens was that old.

Or they can mix up as much of Alien and Aliens as they want and at the very end of the game have it finish where Aliens starts with the lifeboat being rescued and we find out that the whole Amanda adventure was Ripley's dream while she was frozen....

Will(hopefully) be nice to see a game sticking to the Giger design! And staying away from the god awful stuff ADI did to the poor xenomorph :(

I hope that they don't include too many of Aliens aesthetics into this games, esp. in terms of props given that this game is set some 40 years or so before the events of Aliens take place and I don't think that everything we saw in Aliens was that old.

Exactly. One of the many wrongs Gearbox did with A:CM.

hand held motion tracker with a 90º field of view

180º actually, if you're talking about the one seen in the film.

The motion tracker in Alien was hand-rigged by Brett, wasn't it? No reason that the tracker that the marines use couldn't have been in existence during the Nostromo era. Point is that taking lockstock from Aliens has been done in almost every game, borrowing the aesthetic and approach of Alien hasn't so much.

The motion tracker in Alien was hand-rigged by Brett, wasn't it? No reason that the tracker that the marines use couldn't have been in existence during the Nostromo era. Point is that taking lockstock from Aliens has been done in almost every game, borrowing the aesthetic and approach of Alien hasn't so much.

Really? You mean to suggest that the Colonial Marines are using 60+ year old tech? I can believe that the basic technology might have existed back then but the actual equipment would be much cruder and probably larger too. Just look at our military now and 60 years ago, our weapons have changed, our uniforms have changed, the way we carry our basic gear has changed, our basic gear has changed, our comm systems have changed, everything has changed over the course of the past 60 years and you mean to suggest that in the Alienverse that that wouldn't be the case there too?

Really? You mean to suggest that the Colonial Marines are using 60+ year old tech? I can believe that the basic technology might have existed back then but the actual equipment would be much cruder and probably larger too. Just look at our military now and 60 years ago, our weapons have changed, our uniforms have changed, the way we carry our basic gear has changed, our basic gear has changed, our comm systems have changed, everything has changed over the course of the past 60 years and you mean to suggest that in the Alienverse that that wouldn't be the case there too?
Some things change, some don't. Computers may be physically unrecognisable from the middle of last century, but the bicycle is essentially the same. My point is that one piece of hardware from the sequel appearing in Isolation doesn't really negate the bigger concept of sourcing from Ridley Scott not James Cameron! :)

Some things change, some don't. Computers may be physically unrecognisable from the middle of last century, but the bicycle is essentially the same. My point is that one piece of hardware from the sequel appearing in Isolation doesn't really negate the bigger concept of sourcing from Ridley Scott not James Cameron! :)

The knife is still a standard issued military equipment. That hasn't changed. Tanks are still used by the military, even with the models that have changed over the years. Radar is still used, it's just the hardware that has changed. Just because the technology is different doesn't mean the same premise doesn't apply. Motion tracking is still something we yet to have, but if we had that ability, the technique would still be in use even after 57 years (it'd just be the hardware that's different over the years). I'm sorry, but I have to agree with David, it doesn't matter about the technology, the technique of motion tracking would be around, no matter what technology exists.

Militaries of today uses 60+ year old tech on a daily basis ;)
Example: the B52 bomber. Made in the 1950's, they are still in service

Micro changes in air density my a*#.

:lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back