Vader ESB dome - correct display

darthvaderv

Sr Member
After studing various aspects of ESB Vader for years I thought I would share some thoughts that may not be known by some.

This thread was prompted as a friend saw my Vader display and mentioned that my dome was slightly wonky. No I said it's the way it should be.

After much study it seems there is a significant difference from the way the dome sits. Obviously the peaks edges are not symetrical but the overall helmet on the movie version is slanted so there is more of a gap on Vader's brows left side, our right looking at it straight on.

If you look at this picture the bottom of the dome is up turned, many think this is because of the angle. It has some bearing but there is a difference in height from where it drops. This is simply not because Vader is looking up etc.. etc...

Now if you look at the brow on the right of the picture there is a greater gap than the left side. This brings me to the conclusion that the center mech in the dome is not aligned correctly in the middle. There is evidence of the velcro being put a little more to the left side (Vader's right) from the fencing mask pics, but that would not hold 100% as I tried it myself.

004fp4.jpg

For some reason I can't seem at this point to upload various other pics to add to this topic but just about all of ESB Vader pics have this indifference. Just thought it may be of interest to the fantactics of displaying Vader's dome correctly.
IMG

THis is how I mounted my mask. This is an ESB set up, and the mask sat straightonthe post. But the armor was a bit crooked. But either weay you can see the spacing above the shoulder armor, and the bottom of the dome. If youhad the cape on, it buys up alittle more space. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the PM.

Maybe I didnt explain properly, I'm fine with my display thanks.

I was just pointing out the finer details that the movie version has. I was confirming that the screen used dome must of been mounted unevenly due to the fixing mech in the dome not being central, as there is a tilt to the dome raising Vader's left hand side brow up additionally making the edges at the bottom of the dome uneven with one side sticking up:thumbsup .

I was trying to add to those small points that may prove useful for some.

Another pic look at the edge bottom right

225jm9.jpg

This pic is flipped, but the results are the same just opposite

vader3esbtq8.jpg

111zp1.jpg

Yes, youre right. Its inthe mounting of the dome to the mask though. look at my mask and it has the same mouting as the one inthe balck and white picture. The right brow sits differnt than the left brow and such. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Detroit @ Nov 23 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]1364282[/snapback]</div>
Yes, youre right. Its inthe mounting of the dome to the mask though. look at my mask and it has the same mouting as the one inthe balck and white picture. The right brow sits differnt than the left brow and such. :)
[/b]

Yes quite possibly, certainly looks like that on yours, I know the mount on the faceplate slants so that may well be another factor although I have had to display some of my helmets with the dome copying the screen version. In other words I have had to use a little foam etc.. to make my helmets sit at that angle to get that desired look.

*Bump* Better explained version.

The correct dome positioning for ESB Vader is one that I have followed for a looong time now.

The majority of fanmade ESB dome's do not sit or angle correctly. I have seen this time and time again. The set up IMO anyway is vital. Hell, even the actual screen used helmet suffers from different positioning in a variety of shots that I have studied both on paper and on screen.

This brief guide may help reduce time and effort for those who seek that accuracy that has made me gain a few extra grey hairs and a whole lot of stress. This research is being documented as breif but the in-depth version has taken many many months and hours. I hope this is beneficial to some?

domesetupesbff1.jpg

All explained brief

As you look at the picture the left and right are obviously reversed regarding Vader. Not to confuse I will go with Vader, for example. When I say left dome, that's VADER's left, our right as we look at it.

*Although the dome position and angles do change throughout the movie according to how they put the dome on and Vader's (Prowse's) movement this guide is consistant and features the same exact set up in the majority of TESB.

1) Vader's bottom right of the dome is angled so it appears longer than the other side.

2) The dome is not symmetrical at all. Vader's right hand side is positioned to give far less flare when compared to the otherside. Notice the angles are straighter in appearance than the other.

3) Above Vader's right eye the dome arch is slightly different to the other side. The arch and positioning that meet above the right eye shows a definate smaller gap between that and the other side. This is consitant throughout the movie.

4) The beginning of the peak or strip for a better word is mainly consistant with the first 1/4 of Vader's eye arch if you line this up width ways. The gap between the last nose slot and the beginning of the centre strip is under 1/2 inch apart.

5) The centre strip is not dead central. I know this is in the mould of the helmet etc.. but the right of the beginning of the strip is not in line with the faceplate frown lines nor should it be. It should be fractionally off centre. Although the brow arches are not symmetrical this is what additionally helps to create the difference in brow and arch size from left to right.

6) Throughout Vader's right eye brow and arch combo is considerably bigger.

7) A bigger gap all around the arch is obvious throughout, If you do not catch the angle dead central this will be more pronounced anyway. The bit highlighted is actually showing the same arch section on this side looks like it is marginally positioned higher. It is quite noticeable.

8) Again as the dome flares to Vader's left more this creates a bigger gap.

9) Once more the dome flares far more to Vader's left. A bigger gap is not only visually noticable on measurements taken there is a difference naturally.

10) Beginning of bottom edge of dome is higher than the other side.

11) Very noticeable difference on how the dome sits and the position it meets when compared to the other side.

12) The greatest indifference IMO comes from the gap beginning with where the arch meets Vader's right eye brow etc..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The dome is not symmetrical at all. (Image courtesy of Thomas, but not the text)

You can see below.

esb1612qp5.jpg

Very Brief summary on ESB dome irregularity's

*As before, when I mention left, that is Vader's left, right as we see it*

The helmet always looks different off than on. The dome pulls into the faceplate and gives an inaccurate representation

1) Vader's right hand side brow arch is lower.

2) Again the arch nearer the centre srip where the eye nearly meets is closer than the other side.

3) The left front of the centre strip peak beginning is angled/trimmed fractionally upwards.

4) The centre strip is not central. It angles more to Vader's right fractionally.
*Note* This picture contains a strip that looks thinner than the actual screen used prop. I believe this may be lighting. If you compare the thickness to the ANH strip from a screen cap etc, ESB is fractionally wider. Same strip as ANH but they tried to straighten out the curve and made it wider in the process.

5) Vader's left arch brow is higher.

6) Again the arch is not symmetrical or in line to the other side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Going back to the positioning, there is angle upon angle to consider as previously stated.
Velcro does play a part, if you look at the velcro piece used on the Stunt ESB (fencing) you can see the velcro position that favoures one side more than the other (you have to really look for this) and the dome mounting puck is not central, these along with the tabs and ring mount all help to give the dome that positioning.

Another view. Same consistancies as before.

esbvader1212vw3.jpg

Very Basic Differences between ANH and ESB dome

Wider and marginally softer centre strip.

Widows peak trimmed

Thinner edge than ANH.

Gloss appearance in paint finish.

The ESB dome is a re-tooled ANH dome and carries many similarities naturally.

Great thread Paul. You've really scrutinized this helmet and it shows in your research. This will make a fine addition to my archieves. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Kahnt @ Jan 12 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]1395786[/snapback]</div>
Great thread Paul. You've really scrutinized this helmet and it shows in your research. This will make a fine addition to my archieves. :)
[/b]

:thumbsup , wish I had this info readily available when I needed it :rolleyes :) .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Frett @ Feb 8 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]1414878[/snapback]</div>
made me gain a few extra grey hairs and a whole lot of stress [/b]

Is that what happened to me? :)

Thanks for the info :thumbsup
[/b]

do what i do dye them red :lol i will be looking to this thread when i start my ESB vader :thumbsup

Very interesting info. I remember seeing a picture of a guy from the Uk who owned an original ESB helmet. Is this true? Does anyone have any pics of it?

Cheers

DRAGONFLY

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back