Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Two things. One: Stop saying Disney is doing anything. :p Start training yourself to say Lucasfilm instead. Two: I am so sick of that "boob armor would kill you" article continuing to be cited. No it won't. :facepalm It mainly comes down to personal preference, with some skewing factor involved depending on the endowment of the woman in question (there gets to be a point where it's just more practical and more comfortable to shape the breasts into the armor than keeping it a simple domed shape -- but women thus endowed tend to not get tapped for the "badass" roles).

--Jonah

As I pointed out in another thread, it could work like the armor the U.S. military was designing. Outside it looks exactly the same, but it is molded on the inside to fit a woman so she's not all squished into it. I have no problem with "boob armor" if it's like the female armor in Mass Effect. If it's cleavage armor, that's when it bugs me because it's not practical.

That's the argument that I hate. I know too many women who are well over a D-cup for whom "flat" or "shelf" style of breastplates are what are uncomfortable and impractical. They fight with fairly pronounced formed breasts on their breastplates and prefer the support that gives while being closely fitted everywhere. Several even joust in such armor and their take is pretty much that if you get hit in the boob you're doing it wrong.

Here's the original article, written by a woman who self-admittedly has "tried on a chainmail shirt once" as her armor expertise. She also uses science-y sounding stuff that actually has no bearing in reality. This is a decent rebuttle (NSFW language and iffy spelling/grammar aside), and here's the best refutation I've run across. Short version: Your armor shouldn't be hanging off you. Warriors, soldiers, knights, and armorers have known this since antiquity. The armor side of the arms race has been thousands of years of finding the best protection with the most comfort. We have a bizarre notion these days that armor was hot and restrictive and uncomfortable and heavy, while the truth of it is that if it were 1) those warriors/soldiers/knights would be dead very quickly and 2) those armorers would be out of work. It did not take them long to figure out how to make lightweight, conformal, individually-fitted, padded armor pieces that didn't hinder movement much, if at all.

Also back in those days, women who fought probably didn't have anything much larger than a B-cup to worry about. Loose binding, early versions of sports bras, and well-distributed padding would easily let them be accommodated by "male" pattern breastplates. Such is very much not guaranteed today. All the rest of the original article-writer's "points" don't hold up. If you fall on your face, either gender in any armor, you're doing something seriously wrong. If you're fighting an opponent facing them square-on, you're doing something seriously wrong. If they're trying to stab you with a primarily-slashing weapon, they're doing something seriously wrong. If you're jousting without a shield, you're doing something seriously wrong. Et cetera.

I have no problem with the armor either of Gwendoline's characters wears, as it fits her well and she's comfortable in it. I would not have a problem if she had a breastplate shaped to better accommodate a more-generously-endowed female form, as long as it was done well. I do agree that "battle bikinis" and full-coverage armor with a plunging neckline are ridiculous. But that's not what we're talking about here. It can be done well, and it has been done well. And in Phasma's case, it's not necessary, so it makes sense to not bother. One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Ferdinand Porsche. It guides much of my design work. "Perfection is achieved neither through function alone, nor form alone, but the aesthetic synthesis of the two." "Boob armor" can be practical and non-sexified. Observation and practical experience have proved it. Don't let game companies who bank on titillation convince you otherwise.

--Jonah

Two things. One: Stop saying Disney is doing anything. :p Start training yourself to say Lucasfilm instead. Two: I am so sick of that "boob armor would kill you" article continuing to be cited. No it won't. :facepalm It mainly comes down to personal preference, with some skewing factor involved depending on the endowment of the woman in question (there gets to be a point where it's just more practical and more comfortable to shape the breasts into the armor than keeping it a simple domed shape -- but women thus endowed tend to not get tapped for the "badass" roles).

--Jonah

Speaking as someone who is rather endowed (more than I'd like to be, honestly) I *still* find it more comfortable to have a dome shape than cups when it comes to chest armour. You are correct that it's really down to preference (and also Aesthetics... which has likely figured heavily into the stylistic choice made in TFA) but I also personally applaud their choice to not make Captain Phasma a "Boob Trooper". I think it's the right choice, as it sends a message that she is not to be defined by her bustline, but instead by her Badass-ness.

Look at that boob armor she wore in Game of Thrones!!! ...........not.

Boob armor debate is silly at best...move along, move along.

Captain_Phasma_Gwendoline_JimSmash.jpg

David

You've got to admire the sheer amount of hard work Gwendoline Christie puts into her roles. She put on fourteen pounds of muscle for GOT and has become a very capable rider and swordsman. And shes an utter delight on the panels. I'm very intrigued by Captain Phasma, the chrome armour would seem to indicate that she has some unique skills that warrant the use of such special armour.
Kristen, are you thinking of doing a version of her or Rey? Just seen your costuming in your various threads. Fantastic work ,particularly the female predator and Selena.

(Not a spoiler, but theory talk follows:) )

I like the theory I read here somewhere that Phasma is actually genderless. It got me thinking that maybe Phasma is some sort of bionic or alien super soldier prototype (or a more-machine-than man reconstruction of some big villain).

Christie said at the SDCC panel that she was excited to play a character whose gender didn't matter which implies that maybe we never see Phasma without a helmet - and potentially that Phasma is not (or no longer) human.

I think it's a cool idea, and to the oft-referenced "strong female role" discussion, I think it's a cool idea to cast a genderless big bad with a woman, which is something you don't see a whole lot.

I like the theory I read here somewhere that Phasma is actually genderless. It got me thinking that maybe Phasma is some sort of bionic or alien super soldier prototype (or a more-machine-than man reconstruction of some big villain).

Christie said at the SDCC panel that she was excited to play a character whose gender didn't matter which implies that maybe we never see Phasma without a helmet - and potentially that Phasma is not (or no longer) human.

Or it could just be that the role wasn't written for any particular gender in mind and that JJ and Disney had no preference and just cast whomever they felt worked best for the role, male or female.

I think it's a cool idea, and to the oft-referenced "strong female role" discussion, I think it's a cool idea to cast a genderless big bad with a woman, which is something you don't see a whole lot.

i have a feeling the she is playing the character, but when time comes for the helmet to come off they are going to pull a "prowes" and throw someone else in the armor...

i have a feeling the she is playing the character, but when time comes for the helmet to come off they are going to pull a "prowes" and throw someone else in the armor...

I doubt that, because if they were going to do that then why announce that they've cast Gwen Christie as Capt. Phasma? If they were going to pull a Prowes then they might as well have cast some random stunt person that would have probably cost them less than an actual actor.

I doubt that, because if they were going to do that then why announce that they've cast Gwen Christie as Capt. Phasma? If they were going to pull a Prowes then they might as well have cast some random stunt person that would have probably cost them less than an actual actor.

didn't they do exactly that with prowes? hired him, called him darth vader, and then in ROTJ threw him out lol?

She has droid fingers... My vote is cyborg.

I think it will be her face, or some of it. (IF we even see it?)

Maybe a non gender unich type of thing? No idea...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back