Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

didn't they do exactly that with prowes? hired him, called him darth vader, and then in ROTJ threw him out lol?

My assumption about that was that David Prowse didn't have the right look for Anakin, and was also consistently difficult to work with. He was hired long before George had plans to show him without his mask.

I can't see them doing that with Christie.

They never had any intention of using David's voice or face, especially by ROTJ when he was persona non grata around the set.

right just use him for his height, kinda like this chick, she's a giant. i just have a feeling we aren't going to see phasma as a girl, even though i want her to be! what also make me feel this way is this would be JJ's nod to nestalga

- - - Updated - - -

My assumption about that was that David Prowse didn't have the right look for Anakin, and was also consistently difficult to work with. He was hired long before George had plans to show him without his mask.

I can't see them doing that with Christie.

i totally can, seeing how much JJ is dedicating and keeping everything so "vintage". i can see him doing this.

right just use him for his height, kinda like this chick, she's a giant. i just have a feeling we aren't going to see phasma as a girl, even though i want her to be!

She's not giant unless she's meant to be female. Christie is only 6'3". They wanted a tall woman, and one with acting chops. Prowse, by contrast, was a bodybuilder, a stuntman, and exceptionally large by any human standards. They hired him strictly for his physicality. No reason to spend on a name like Christie if you're not going to use her.

i totally can, seeing how much JJ is dedicating and keeping everything so "vintage". i can see him doing this.

Maybe, but I hope not. I'm sure Christie's getting paid very well to play Phasma, and she's a terrific actor and lovely person - basically the opposite of Prowse. Using someone else if she's ever unmasked seems like an ill-advised reference to something that was never a creative choice in the first place.

Maybe, but I hope not. I'm sure Christie's getting paid very well to play Phasma, and she's a terrific actor and lovely person - basically the opposite of Prowse. Using someone else if she's ever unmasked seems like an ill-advised reference to something that was never a creative choice in the first place.

see its good you said that, because I've never seen her act. that makes me think little differently now knowing that.

She's not giant unless she's meant to be female. Christie is only 6'3". They wanted a tall woman, and one with acting chops. Prowse, by contrast, was a bodybuilder, a stuntman, and exceptionally large by any human standards. They hired him strictly for his physicality. No reason to spend on a name like Christie if you're not going to use her.

Aren't you tall for a StormTrooper?:

Phasma-02.jpg

J

i used multi quote but it didn't seem to work? like i perviously said, i never watched game of thrones, i didn't know she was a key character. i honestly should have looked more into her character.

yeah, I think it's extremely unlikely we will not see her in the flesh at some point over the next three films. I think she will be a human character, maybe with some augmentation, but there is specificity to her hiring beyond she's tall and she's female.

I'm fairly certain that they aren't going to pull a "Prowse" with Capt. Phasma and that they cast Gwendoline Christie with the full intent of at least using her voice, if not showing her sans armor or at least helmet. Considering the popularity she's gain from playing Brienne on Game of Thrones why would they go through the trouble of casting her, announcing that they've cast her just to have someone revealed to be Capt. Phasma under the armor? GC may not be the biggest name out there but she's not exactly a complete unknown and you don't cast known actors to do a role that you can just cast a body or stunt double for unless it's for a kind of cameo .

So, I'm sure you've seen phasma is trending at the moment.
I'll just leave it as, didn't even know it WAS a female character. I've been trying to AVOID spoilers like that as far as stories go. thanks social media! ;o)

in other news, I am VERY glad James Earl Jones is not dead.

- - - Updated - - -

reading back a bit.. some of us try and AVOID story spoilers before a movie is released ;o)....

I don't check it that often. every now and then when something trends, or a new trailer gets released, or a little bit of info like 3P0 with a red arm gets released, i'll come by to browse to see reaction...but I try my darnedest to stay away from story stuff...

about all I know of the story is that luke supposedly gets exiled somewhere....two new characters interact with han solo...one might be a jedi, and now this character is one of the first female troopers on screen. that's about it..

The fact that Gwendoline Chrsitie is playing Phasma is NOT a spoiler, it's an official announcement from LucasFilm.

Just because something is released by a film's producer(s) doesn't mean that it's not a spoiler, it just makes it an official spoiler, not that I consider casting info to be much of a spoiler.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back