Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel)

Re: Alien: Paradise Lost (Prometheus Sequel)

I thought Rapace was terrific, even in the potentially absurd self surgery sequence, she really sold it.

I totally agree :) I had only seen her before in parts of the Millennium films and thought she was totally different from that and just great.

O'Bannon after Dark Star did not find it's audience, thought if I can't make them laugh, I'll make them scream.
Even if we disagree on my slasher film basics view, we have to agree on that. The first two films made people
scream in theaters.

Horror/slasher films have relied on sexual content to hit those primal buttons.
The horny teens getting picked off for instance. Sex/death nothing is more powerful buttons to hit.
They put this whole new spin on horror with the aliens, their rape-like behavior and reproductive,
cycles. They re-mapped the sex from the humans onto the threat. Dear gawd the main creatures have penis shapes for heads
and the eggs are basically vulvas in a cross shape. Disturbing when you don't realize it at first but your subconscious does.
This is all primal stuff I guess I'm trying to get across, going off into these odd philosophy directions about what does it all
mean is not what it's supposed to be about.

We are supposed to scream at Aliens films, well I don't personally but you know, somebody should.
In fact it was right there in the beginning with the ALIEN tag line in case anyone
is unclear. "In space no one can hear you scream.".

That should be their bloody touchstone.

Last edited:

"It’s a very nice big idea I’ve got. It’s really great." - Ridley

smallthingstobigbeginnings.jpg

Big things have small beginnings . . .

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck!

smallthingstobigbeginnings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Side note, but how freakin cool is it that David has the Weyland Yutani logo in his finger prints? Its amazing attention to detail for a movie which otherwise glosses over major plot points.

As a fellow Swede I am curious what did you Americans think of Noomi Rapace in Prometheus?? :)

AvP? Different franchise altogether :p

Not to mention all of Cameron's "it's 'nam in space" references basically. Apache as a dropship, the entire Sulaco looks like one giant gun :p

I thought she did a very good job, with the exception of a few scenes, but you could easily argue that it was bad writing and she did the best she could with it.

Ah yes, the old "Prometheus" burn out thread. Oh, the hours of discusssion that provoked.So I'm not ever going there again.Enough already.I'm sure anyone involved with the film has taken note of the films short comings over the net,both the very positive and horribly negative.
After watching the terribly disappointing "Transcendance" whose writer did the first draft of the screenplay for the film formally known as "Prometheus 2" I was not really very hopefull for anything good coming out of this, but:
The story has been redrafted so many times now (according to Ridley) and over such a long period I would hope they have a stronger script. There have been so many discussions about where the sequel could go on the net and some bloody good ideas (such as the engineeers were simply intermediaries created from human DNA, the "scientists" only think they engineered us, the black goo is a base transcriptor for all genetic material ) that some of these theories should make it into the film. Plus there is the title and Ridleys strong hinting as to the links to Miltons poem.Heres part of Wikipedias summary:

"Milton's story has two narrative arcs, one about Satan (Lucifer) and the other following Adam and Eve. It begins after Satan and the other rebel angels have been defeated and banished to Hell, or, as it is also called in the poem, Tartarus. In Pandæmonium, Satan employs his rhetorical skill to organise his followers; he is aided by Mammon and Beelzebub. Belial and Moloch are also present. At the end of the debate, Satan volunteers to poison the newly created Earth and God's new and most favoured creation, Mankind. He braves the dangers of the Abyss alone in a manner reminiscent of Odysseus or Aeneas. After an arduous traversal of the Chaos outside Hell, he enters God's new material World, and later the Garden of Eden"

The parallels to the possible story of APL are fairly obvious but I guess you could argue the originally titled "Prometheus" link were pretty muddled in the end. But its worth noting that yet again we are getting strong hints about the story as being linked to the creation of mankind myths which were in my opinion the weakest parts of that film (along with the science). So it doesn't look like Ridleys dropping them any day soon.

My only hope is that the story is a good one. "The Martian" has had some very healthy reviews and nobody doubts Ridleys abilities as a director, he is an astonishing visual artist. Its just where he throws these creative but scientifically nutty curveballs in and has a poor script to work from that all the trouble starts. "The Martian" is apparently very faithful to the book and that was one of my favorite reads last year and that's all been translated very well into the film, though remember its a survival tale not a sci fi actioner. But then again that bodes well for APL, if we are following just Shaw and David for the most part.
To be honest, after the rather predictable "Elysium" and really poor "Chappie" I think the longer we wait for something to come after APL the better.

I thought she did a very good job, with the exception of a few scenes, but you could easily argue that it was bad writing and she did the best she could with it.

Yeah, the writing... some of it is really, really bad. For example how these "experts" sent on this epic mission/journey and it turns out they are almost all of them, really, really stupid. Making really, really stupid mistakes.

https://instagram.com/p/-J0S00L_Fa/

Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created in ALIEN with ALIEN: COVENANT, the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with PROMETHEUS -- and connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

Last edited by a moderator:
GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY!!??!?!?!?

Shaw was the BEST thing about Prometheus, a FANTASTIC female lead and they are Hicking her right off the bat? REALLY?!?

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY!!??!?!?!?

Shaw was the BEST thing about Prometheus, a FANTASTIC female lead and they are Hicking her right off the bat? REALLY?!?

Welcome to the world of being an Alien/Aliens fan… Sequel after sequel the studio keeps taking the storyline into wildly unpopular directions. There's a military acronym I think of every time a new Alien film is announced: BOHICA ;)

troublechinasigh.gif

freaksgeeksugh.gif

cersei2.gif

colinfail.gif

ryanugh.gif

^ I've known that since he first said Deckard's a Replicant. :p

I'm still hopeful Blomkamp's film gets made at some point. In the meantime... Maybe Ridley's third film will catch up with Shaw again after further events on LV-223 in this one (I'm rashly assuming David doesn't manage to get offworld somehow).

Edit: Never mind, I forgot Shaw took David's head with her. Now I'm really curious how David's going to be portrayed in this...

--Jonah

Art, we're talking about a character who was portrayed to be so deep in her religious convictions that she wound up becoming a one-dimensional character who from start to finish. You would think from a writer's stand point that if you were going to make a big deal about her religious beliefs and introduce all these world shattering discoveries that maybe, just maybe, she might be open to the idea that what she believes in doesn't fit with what she is discovering. How do you make your character interesting when she's so narrow minded?

Charlie Holloway: I guess you can take your father’s cross off now.
Elizabeth Shaw: Why would I wanna do that?
Charlie Holloway: Because they made us.
Elizabeth Shaw: And who made them?​

And after going through even more nonsense, we end with...

Elizabeth Shaw: Where is my cross?
David: The pouch in my utility belt. Even after all this, you still believe don't you?​

There is NOTHING more to her character that leaves room for further development because there was none to begin with. Elizabeth Shaw from Doctor Who was an intellectually smart character and she was just a guest character.

I'm starting to think Ridley's lost his touch even with the stuff he knows well.

Starting? I'd say Prometheus was a good indicator. not to take anything away from Scott. He's made some amazing movies. I feel like he's just lost touch with this part of his past work.

It does seem like a waste for her to have gone through everything she did just to be retconned out of the follow-on movie. I guess she figured she would have the same bargaining power as Sigourney Weaver and they called her on it with a re-write?

Of course that's assuming she isn't in it. She's still listing in the cast on IMDb and the name of the movie has been updated.

Art, we're talking about a character who was portrayed to be so deep in her religious convictions that she wound up becoming a one-dimensional character who from start to finish. You would think from a writer's stand point that if you were going to make a big deal about her religious beliefs and introduce all these world shattering discoveries that maybe, just maybe, she might be open to the idea that what she believes in doesn't fit with what she is discovering. How do you make your character interesting when she's so narrow minded?
Charlie Holloway: I guess you can take your father’s cross off now.
Elizabeth Shaw: Why would I wanna do that?
Charlie Holloway: Because they made us.
Elizabeth Shaw: And who made them?​

And after going through even more nonsense, we end with...
Elizabeth Shaw: Where is my cross?
David: The pouch in my utility belt. Even after all this, you still believe don't you?​

I think you pretty much summed up devoutly religious people in general. People who survive a life-threatening ailment (take your pick, cancer, ebola, etc) and then say it was all thanks to God. Never mind the science that went into developing the technology to diagnose the problem or the medical professionals who devote years of their lives to life saving skills. Nope... all thanks go to God. Not so different than finding new life on another planet and making a mindless statement like akin to "so their God is our God".

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back