Polar Lights 1:350 Enterprise refit - my build up

If i had the electronics experience I would totally do it myself, the trekmodeler kit, which I have is good, but many areas I would have done differently to get a better effect.

For the windows - the aztec dummy masking kit comes with all the window masks, plus the aztec's, strongbacks, and pretty much every masking bit you need. I purchased it to save time and aggravation.

I think I saved around $150 by doing it from scratch, also my lights have cold cathodes rather than LEDs in the nacelles and I think I have quite a few more lights overall than the trek modeller kit does. However it's so bloody time consuming that if I were to start again, I'd just buy a prewired kit. I can't tell you how many days and hours have been spent soldering, replacing shorted LEDs and generally pulling my hair out. Too much hassle! Get the kit.

Gotcha. I'm still torn though as usually I've got more time than money and I've always wanted to learn more about circuits. :)

Looking great so far! Watching with interest prepping for my build.

Awesome build! Hats off for tackling the lighting yourself. It's giving me courage to consider doing that myself. Great work! The alien arboretum is really well done.

Thanks guys.

I'm using plastic cement on the joints, superglue on the tabs and black milliput to seal the joints. Should be strong enough I think, it's a pretty good fit when dry fitting it.

Impulse engine grill just about finished:

556120_4102042586647_23667692_n.jpg

It took a while to paint this little piece. I don't think much of this new airbrush:

532720_4102060947106_1653339326_n.jpg

I was building one of these in my hotel room 2 years ago. My fatal flaw was that it would lean forward due to all the weight (wiring) in the saucer when on the display post:cry And thus it has been sitting in a box ever since. Ill figure out something when life settles down.

In regards to painting the inner warp nacelle windows. I see you used .75mm tape. I used a fin tipped Gundam marker (sharpie) and just lightly sanded off any excess. The sanding took off the excess and diffused any light.

Here's a tip I just picked up, which I think I'm going to try;

To mask the windows, use BLU-TAC. It's easy to manipulate into the correct shapes, adheres well without spoiling the surface and is easy to remove after painting.

I'm going to give it a shot on the spare hull piece and see how it works out.

Great work so far, lots of great ideas here. I bought this kit last year and am terrified to even start working on it. I am looking forward to this thread.

great work Ob1al!

love your airbrush... If you want to get really great results, don't use the "Kill" setting, instead set it to "Stun"-ing. :)

Lol. Thanks all.

Tonight I'm fitting the circuits for the flashers and strobes. I'll get some pics or video up when it's done.

Several drinks in and a lovely homemade Thai curry later, I finally have a rocking' circuit to make the strobe and navigation lights work like they should. Here it is!

603078_4123790250325_1520699181_n.jpg

She might not look like much but she's got it where it counts.

This fits perfectly in the lower hull, under the hangar bay. Which means I don't have too many wires coming down the upright support into the base.

I'm off to the pub tomorrow as it's fathers day here in the UK, but I might get the time to wire my flashing LED's into the circuit and see all the lights operating for the first time.

This is a significant step forward, I feel like I am finally getting there with this build! :)

Al

Here's a quick video (in shaded daylight) with the navigation and strobes fitted.

Enterprise light test #2 - YouTube

Still more light blocking to do, but I'm pleased with how it looks so far.

I'll leave it running for a day or two to make sure everything's fine, then I'll move on to gluing all the substructures together.

Thanks.

The transformers for the CCTs are inside the base. I had to cut the wires, feed them through the narcelle struts then resolder the connections inside the base. The ship is pretty jam packed inside now so I was glad this solution worked.

Very nice solution, I started this kit last year & decided to do the same thing. I found a place that sells 3" & 6" white cathodes & am using them for the shuttle bay & garden lighting. Rexim LLC on ebay they sell replacements for computer & mobile device cathodes & have just about any size.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back