Polar Lights Kronos One 1:350

PHArchivist

Master Member
Delivered today...

Not meant to be a build thread...

I mildly hijacked another related thread to chat about this kit, so figured best to start my own.

So this is for all to just talk it up about this kit!

Pics...

71400777721__F66864DF-2494-49D7-BE30-63C223F913CB.jpg
71400782376__25DC1EF5-2109-490A-A2EF-DDC552DB1E65.jpg
71400940026__1BFDD25B-C3AF-42A2-A9B9-F22B41342327.jpg
71400943292__CD6410DE-8F74-498E-8B5E-AAAC2C8F2178.jpg
71400949900__99C79E9D-B39E-4335-BA7E-0010B191F52D.jpg
IMG_1845.jpg

Curious; did you pick up the lighting kit, as well?

If so, is it an improvement over their prior TMP Battle Cruiser lighting kit?

Curious; did you pick up the lighting kit, as well?

If so, is it an improvement over their prior TMP Battle Cruiser lighting kit?

Have the lighting kit on order, and agree with the previous post that it is essentially the same as the other (which I also have), but with the added LEDs for the nacelles.

But...

--The base kit has a small sheet of photo-etched brass
--The lighting kit claims to also have brass
--And the box shows that Polar Lights is doing a dedicated photo-etched brass kit

So...

Three sources of brass for this kit...?

The base kit has photoetch for some areas. I'm guessing they are things that couldn't be done in plastic?

The lighting kit has the same photoetch as before: mainly parts to replace the windows on the bulb. There are also parts that are moot for the Kronos One build.

The dedicated photoetch is more exhaustive, but also includes those that are included with the base kit, for some reason.

The base kit has photoetch for some areas. I'm guessing they are things that couldn't be done in plastic?

The lighting kit has the same photoetch as before: mainly parts to replace the windows on the bulb. There are also parts that are moot for the Kronos One build.

The dedicated photoetch is more exhaustive, but also includes those that are included with the base kit, for some reason.

Is the dedicated brass kit available yet?

Tried finding it but couldn't...

Yeah,photo etch while behind is out in the wild to folks who know folks. I was planning on just building and painting up the whole shebang and ad the PE at the end,but of course there is a chunk that goes over the clear engine parts but under the nacelle half.

Yeah,photo etch while behind is out in the wild to folks who know folks. I was planning on just building and painting up the whole shebang and ad the PE at the end,but of course there is a chunk that goes over the clear engine parts but under the nacelle half.

Yeah that's a large draw for me too.

But for many of the pieces that lay flat on the hull, the gold decals would be much easier, and for the most part, all you lose is the relieve of the brass - the thickness of the brass plate standing above the surface...

Wondering in what is basically half-scale to the original model, if the decals may be more appropriate.

Or another perspective:

If in 1:350 scale this model kit is about half the size of the studio model, wouldn't the brass pieces be twice the thickness on this kit? Since the photo-etched brass is likely the same thickness?

Or does photo-etched brass come in varying thicknesses?

Am I overthinking?

That is quite logical. I don't actually know for sure what thickness the brass parts were on the filming model. (All that stuff was originally made for Blade Runner and leftover parts were used on the Klingon ship.) A common thickness though for etched brass is 0.01 inch. I recommended to Round2 that they make their PR parts 0.005 but I haven't seen any of them yet so I don't know if they followed my advice.

Yeah that's a large draw for me too.

But for many of the pieces that lay flat on the hull, the gold decals would be much easier, and for the most part, all you lose is the relieve of the brass - the thickness of the brass plate standing above the surface...

Wondering in what is basically half-scale to the original model, if the decals may be more appropriate.

Or another perspective:

If in 1:350 scale this model kit is about half the size of the studio model, wouldn't the brass pieces be twice the thickness on this kit? Since the photo-etched brass is likely the same thickness?

Or does photo-etched brass come in varying thicknesses?

Am I overthinking?
Nah, i am sure you are right about the thickness,but I want the etch to stand off the details and not conform to the surface,but the decals are very nicely done And I’m sure they will look great should one choose to use them.

That is quite logical. I don't actually know for sure what thickness the brass parts were on the filming model. (All that stuff was originally made for Blade Runner and leftover parts were used on the Klingon ship……..
Only some of the etch was Blade Runner related. There’s a lot of etch originally used from the Death Star model from Return of the Jedi.
They have done a fine job reproducing the detail at half scale. I think the original etch on Blade Runner was 0.4mm so if the etch the is similar thickness to a lot of modern detail kits at 0.15mm ( like Eduard etch) , it’s about right.

Last edited:
Very nice model time to start building and please do share the build I love how its molded in black be easyer for the lighting can't wait to see more of this

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back