Blade Runner 2049

Re: Blade Runner Sequel

Sicario was one of my favorite films of 2015. While I'm excited to see what he does with BR2, I'm still skeptical and slightly hesitant about the entire endeavor. I would be lying if I posted otherwise.

Still, I am looking forward to the movie. I like the concept art. I don't love it. It's an impossible task to visualize a sequel to a film that has visually inspired a generation of artists, and informed a million visual rip offs at that. I just can't imagine them hitting us with concept art that would have bowled us over. I was hoping, but these 2 pieces are exactly what I expected.

I've actually posted this in a photo for Adam Savage's Facebook page, but I think Adam should totally submit his resumé for the film's production. I mean, Adam has a long history in film and he's also a fan of Blade Runner. Who better to get the look and feel of the props right than him?

Last edited by a moderator:

Please, please, please keep the blaster the same.

I can almost guarantee we'll see the classic blaster as it's so iconic to Blade Runner. But I also think we'll see some revised versions of the blaster, keeping in mind the length of time that has passed in the Blade Runner universe, we're bound to have characters using newer models.

Was checking some of the unboxing videos for Loot Crate DX for the month of June where the theme was Dystopia.

One would think many of these geek collectors would be familiar with the Spinner, but no. I know its visibility and colors aren't prominent in the dark scenes of the film, but the design of the vehicle itself is pretty well known as the flying car from Blade Runner.

I watched about 4 videos and I was cringing while they were struggling to describe what that police car model was from. And these videos were not made by teens or people in early 20s who sometimes are too young to be familiar with the movie, these are people in their 30s and I think one was in his 40s.

It just reminded me the nerd bubble we sometimes are part of. Blade Runner hasn't gotten a resurgence in years unlike Star Wars and Alien which kept getting sequels and spin offs in other media. This is going to be one of the most challenging sequels of all time. Star Wars regardless of how it is received at the movies, will always stay afloat due to its brand and merchandise.

Blade Runner was a box office failure (critically panned earlier too) and I am hoping the sequel doesn't follow the same trend. I am not sure if along with movie sequel rights, Alcon Entertainment was able to secure merchandise rights.

Blade Runner sequel might be unwarranted but it's happening and the comforting factor is its under the wing of Denis Villeneuve, who is not going to make it a run-of-mill action film. It's going to be a smart sci-fi film, with layered themes, while complimenting the designs and environment of the original Blade Runner.

Continue to remain optimistic.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about this, but not getting my hopes too high.
Hollywood these days is all flash and no substance, and what "Bladerunner" brought to the table, besides amazing sound and visuals, was substance.
It was one of those films that shaped my brain when I was young, along with "Brazil" and "One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest".
It's an existential masterpiece. 35 years later it still haunts me.
The sequel's got some pretty big shoes to fill. I just hope these guys "get it".
Honestly I'm more looking forward to "Valerian". And where's my "Magnus: Robot Fighter" movie? Someone get on that.

591638.GIF

Has anybody here watched "Sicario"? One of the best thrillers I saw last year. Beautifully shot and shockingly brutal. With Denis Villeneuve directing BR2 and cinematographer Roger Deakins helping making this I am somewhat hopeful regardless of some of the casting. We'll have a better idea of the likely quality after "Arrival" is released. I read the short story upon which its based some years ago and it was one of the best I've ever read, having both a complex narrative yet still being a very moving story. It was the total antithesis of the current batch of brainless sci fi actioners so I'm curious as to how it will be received and its BO performance.

I just hope they keep the scale of the film small and personal.
If they try to make a film where the character topples Tyrell Corp or uncovers some scheme where the US president or world leaders are being replaced with replicants I'll just vomit uncontrollably.

I just hope they keep the scale of the film small and personal.
If they try to make a film where the character topples Tyrell Corp or uncovers some scheme where the US president or world leaders are being replaced with replicants I'll just vomit uncontrollably.

And I'll join you soon after the producers of "Futureworld" sue the backsides of Ridley and Co. Hard to believe that came out the year before "Star Wars". No wonder we got our minds blown. Vileneuve is directing "Arrival" on a tiny budget (fifty million) and his previous projects were not what I'd call action blasters. So, like I said I'm hopeful this will be a thoughtfull sci fi thriller , rather than anything else.

Sicario was a great flick! I hope Arrival holds up. Still looking forward to this, albeit with strong apprehension.

The story will be about another group of Replicants going rogue and hunting down Deckard to learn the secret of his longevity, trying to extend their lives past their dismal short existence, while at the same time being hunted by a new Blade Runner ;)

Or not :p

Or I fear it will be explicitly self-indulgent about the existential themes and have it about a Blade Runner trying to find if he's a replicant or not, gets hunted by other Blade Runners who used to be his friends, finds refuge with gangs of underground skin-jobs that formed off-world underground societies and gains the trust of a replicant leader to go back to earth with a team of tough replicants to topple Tyrell Corp which is being run by the nephew of the deceased Tyrell genius (played by Leto). So the treatment, on paper, ticks off all the fan points, plus it has action, plus it has space for amazing set pieces and, if they do all that, it will suck like every other lame-brained Hollywood formula film.

Hey, that's pretty good :)

I thought after so many years, they not only were able to implant fake memories, but down load people's entire minds, and they needed a replicant with an extended life span to cheat death, and transfer their memories to, but that information died with Tyrell....But, we find out it didn't, as the real Tyrell is on ice, waiting for just that technology to be able to transfer his mind. They need Rachael to unlock the secrets of her longevity, but find out Deckard is also a replicant, and hunt him down....

I'm hoping for zany Bladerunner/Skin Job buddy cop movie.

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth!?!?"

"Do you see the things that I've seen with your eyes!?!?"

Last edited:

Has anybody here watched "Sicario"? One of the best thrillers I saw last year.

The movie was great. I loved Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Torro. I agree with a review I read somewhere else that the worst thing about the movie was Emily Blunt. She was pretty weakest part of that movie.

I'm hoping for zany Bladerunner/Skin Job buddy cop movie.
"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth!?!?"
"Do you see the things that I've seen with my eyes!?!?"

I hope Deckard is a ginger female in this one... why not, right?

Funny you mention "zany buddy cop"... I just saw the commercial for the new Lethal Weapon TV show. I cringed.

The story will be about another group of Replicants going rogue and hunting down Deckard to learn the secret of his longevity, trying to extend their lives past their dismal short existence, while at the same time being hunted by a new Blade Runner ;)

Or not :p
i got a feeling your not far off with plot.good starting point for what we all hope will be a great sequel.

Yeah, it will start off with a replicant being killed and a Blade Runner being called out to investigate. He finds out that there are several, however they didn't come from off world. As he investigates, he finds out Tyrell corp actually dispatched them to find Deckard.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back